Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: First Attempt at PC

Boolit Man

First Attempt at PC

I recently cast a bunch of 405gr 45-70 boolits with some very hard unknown alloy - it was in the RCBS Pro melt that I bought at a yard sale - and powder coated then with Eastwood clear. I think they came out okay but have some questions. I had used a silicone baking sheet to place the bullets on by resting them on their sides on the sheet. I can feel the section that rested on the sheet or at least feel a change in the coating there and wonder if there is any powder where they were in contact with the sheet. It's hard to see since I used clear. I would like to bake them upright while they are on their base but don't have a good way to do that yet. What do you folks think? Also, can I shoot these dry with smokeless powder loads, as in no lube required?

Boolit Bub
    Gazz, if you can post some pictures it’ll help us understand a little bit more the issue you’re experiencing. There are some silicone baking sheets that work better then others. Personally, I use non stick foil which gives me about 5 uses before it needs to get tossed. Also, to address the lube issue, you do not need to lube them if your PC has cured properly. Other casters/coasters will do both for the sake of burning up lube they already own. Check out fortunecookie45 on YouTube he experimented with pc vs pc plus lube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I would Not use clear to start my PC learning curve with. You simply can't tell what kind of coverage you've getting.
    I have no problem standing up bullets. A decent set of curved forceps is the best way.

Check out CWLongshot on you-tube. He is a Past Master at Powder Coating.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I would like to bake them upright while they are on their base but don't have a good way to do that yet.
    I'm not sure what that means. If you are cooking them on theirs sides on a silicone sheet, why can't you set them on their bases on the same sheet?
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

For the .357 and .430 handgun bullets I use old ammo trays. I run the bullet, in powder, in a spare bowl I have for my vibratory tumbler for 10 to 15 minutes. I then get a little powder on my finger tips to handle the bullets with. I place the coated bullets nose down in the trays and place them on a board or other rigid object. I then put the silicon baking sheet over that, place the toaster oven baking pan on top, and flip. I can do about three tray at a time.

I have seen where some people use the silicon trivets that have the holes that go all the way through for smaller rifle bullets that don't like to stand on end.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the comments!
    I chose clear because somewhere on here I read that it was the easiest to get good results and I didn't want a color choice to be a "thing". The reason I didn't stand them up is because the silicone sheets are quite flexible and would drape over the wires in the rack with the weight of the boolit - there was no flat area to stand them up. I would post some pictures but there is nothing to see - it's clear. I did see some pictures here of folks just dumping them on to foil with most on their sides to bake and proclaimed no issues so I didn't think lying them down would be an issue. I did like the ice cube tray method so I'll look into that or a way to get a flat and stable surface in the oven. I do have some very long tweezers to place them on the rack.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    Thanks for the comments!
    I chose clear because somewhere on here I read that it was the easiest to get good results and I didn't want a color choice to be a "thing". The reason I didn't stand them up is because the silicone sheets are quite flexible and would drape over the wires in the rack with the weight of the boolit - there was no flat area to stand them up. I would post some pictures but there is nothing to see - it's clear. I did see some pictures here of folks just dumping them on to foil with most on their sides to bake and proclaimed no issues so I didn't think lying them down would be an issue. I did like the ice cube tray method so I'll look into that or a way to get a flat and stable surface in the oven. I do have some very long tweezers to place them on the rack.
    ok, got it. I made up several trays/baskets with 1/4" hardware cloth (just like folks use for shake, bake and dump) and then cut my silicone mats to sit in the bottom of the baskets. Pretty easy to stand them up and slide into and out of my Oster oven.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

OK, If I have this right, you do not have a broiler pan or cookie sheet that fits your oven. If not I would measure the inside and see if I could find one that fits. I cut the silicon sheets to fit the baking sheet.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Man
    I'll cut a piece of sheet metal to fit and see if I can find some hardware cloth that will accept the .458 boolits.
    Thanks again for the comments and suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
    I'll cut a piece of sheet metal to fit and see if I can find some hardware cloth that will accept the .458 boolits.
    Thanks again for the comments and suggestions!
    One caution with the sheet metal. Before you stack bullets on it heat it up to see if it will buckle with the heat. this could cause your bullets to jump and mess them up.

Boolit Master

Why hardware cloth for .458 boolits? I've been standing all my .375 (and larger) on their bases from my first time doing powdercoat. Pick 'em out of the shake 'n bake container with forceps and stand up on a tray made from a cut-down cookie sheet covered with silicon mat. Pick up tray, slide into oven, and bake. I've made up several trays so as soon as one batch is finished I've got another ready to go in oven.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Man
    I started to run my PC boolits through my homemade sizing die and realized that the mould cast a boolit to accept a gas check! I don't have any gas checks and while I could get some, do I need to? I'm thinking the boolits will shoot just fine even with the slight rebate at the heel. What do you folks think?
    Also, I did cut a piece of sheet metal for my PC oven but have yet to try it out.

Boolit Master

You can shoot GC bullets a low velocities. I've never done it, but others have with good results.

A small cookie sheet came with My T.O. and My Wife bought 3 more on amazon. A great deal easier to use for standing up bullets. I use non-stick aluminum foil to line those cookie sheets.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Try your bullets w/o gas checks. My rifle bullets have the potential for GCs but that doesn't mean they MUST wear a GC. But it gives you the option if you need it.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    If you're unsure about coverage just coat them again. The blue bullets are on their second bake.

For best results you start the 20minutes at 400°F timer when all of the bullets look wet ( the paint coating)

Realistically i pre heat the oven then put them in and set the timer for 30 minutes.

My favorite is ultra gloss clear, coverage before baking is obvious to see

Yes I bake bullets in a big pile, I like it.

When the time is up I remove them immediately and dump them into a clean big cardboard box ( that I keep only for this purpose), I break them up with my clean leather gloves so that they do not stick to each other as they are cooling and sticky.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk