Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Scoping a Hawken, thoughts, advice etc

Boolit Master

Scoping a Hawken, thoughts, advice etc

Okay, I know it's kinda heresy but I can no longer see to shoot irons. Actually this may be the last or next to last year I hunt, eyesight is progressively worsening. I'm now to the point I have to shoot left handed as my rt eye vision is almost gone, but I can do well using a scope and left eye.
    Don't want to buy an inline just for a year or two, I have a couple of CVA Hawkens that I could drill & tap one for scope mount. I know it'll look like a handful of crapola (old rifle with modern scope) but I can't see another way (no pun intended) to hunt my last few times.
    I have a flat bottom picatinny rail section as well as some regular 2 piece Weaver bases to choose from.
    So anyone have advice, thoughts, suggestions?
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

I understand your problem. I am 68 and I need a scope for hunting. Is it possible to do some sort QD mount? That way most of time you wouldn't need to have the scope on the rife.

Boolit Bub
    I'm in the same boat as you. A scope is the only way that I can see to shoot because I can't see the sights. If it works for you then it is your gun and your fun no matter how it looks. You will probably have to heat the hammer spur and bend it out a little for clearance. T/C made a mount but I don't know if it will work on a CVA. What ever you find that works then good for you. Enjoy it.

Boolit Master
    I scoped an import rifle a few years back.
    I used a Weaver scope rail off a Marlin 336 just drilled and tapped to the top of the barrel.
    I used See Thru scope rings to mount the scope.
    They were a little tall , but the set up worked great.
    I also thought to use the Direct mount See Thru scope rings for the Marlin 336 that were made to mount directly on a receiver without a rail.
    But they will take away your option to quickly take off the scope

Boolit Master
    My eyes are not that great either. I put a scout scope on my Garand. It worked well so I then put one on my Lyman GPH. I made a small 'recoil lug' that fit in the dovetail. Drilled and tapped the base. I used a base from my old Contender. Milled it flat (could use a file) and made a 'slot' that fit the 'recoil lug'. It is far enough forward that I have to use a pistol scope (extended eye relief). Has held up well.

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago, when his eyesight went downhill, my Dad mounted a red dot on his Hawken where the rear sight was, back before the "scout" scope became a buzzword. Worked great for him and it was far enough forward that it never got any powder burn.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I found a really old set of new in the package, see through scope mounts that will work on my traditions octagon barrel rifle. Believe they will work on most octagon barrel rifles. It has to be drilled and tapped to mount them unfortunately or I already would’ve mounted them

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I would definitely do it if it enables you to keep shooting longer. A pair of glasses without the progressive feature still works for me. When that is no longer a viable solution, I won’t hesitate to put a scope on a couple of my now iron site guns.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Not faulting here. I’m nearsighted & love traditional muzzleloaders myself. I haven’t yet, but plan to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had LASIK surgery and I can see a country mile but fuzzy close. I tried my traditions Pioneer today at 50 yards. I can tell you the big front sight doesn't do me favors. It looks a good 6" or more at 50 yards. Best group of the day was a crappy 2 1/4". I might look into scoping it. I put a good 70 plus rounds through it today ladder testing it.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    Years ago, when his eyesight went downhill, my Dad mounted a red dot on his Hawken where the rear sight was, back before the "scout" scope became a buzzword. Worked great for him and it was far enough forward that it never got any powder burn.
    Stevesgunz sells a single slot picatinny rail that fits in a standard dovetail slot, and he also sells a small red dot that fits on it.
    These are meant for a Rossi 92, but I don't see why it would not work for a Hawken.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    Stevesgunz sells a single slot picatinny rail that fits in a standard dovetail slot, and he also sells a small red dot that fits on it.
    These are meant for a Rossi 92, but I don't see why it would not work for a Hawken.
    This is what I would look into
    Don Verna

I’m debating on getting some weaver octagon (flat base) scope mounts or a universal KDW picatinny base and have it drilled and tapped to fit. I just adjusted my 10 pound trigger down to just under 2 pounds so I’m ready for an optic or better sighting system. Just not going to be a big fan of the “look” of an optic on it but at least it will be usable for me.

Boolit Master
    Yep, I don't like the look either but it's better than letting it sit in a closet.

I did come close to buying a Malcolm scope. They look really good on a sidelock. The cost and mounting put me off. I might still do that if I even find a nice, fast twist .45 barrel.

Just an alternative to drilling and tapping a barrel.

There are mounts that clamp onto octagonal barrels.

I have a silver leupold 4x extended eye relief scope but figure it’s to hard to see through. Who sells the clamp on mounts? Come to think about it I’d probably trade the optic or some of my old rimfires I restored for a Beretta Nano.

Boolit Master
    It is surprising how easy it is to use a long eye relief scope on a rifle. Makes sense cause they are really easy to use on a pistol. I had one of the 4x Leupold's on a contender for years. Very easy to acquire targets. Probably why Cooper touted them on his 'Scout' rifle concept (which was really not an original idea, but, he made it popular).