Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First year for pears

First year for pears

Planted these guys in 2011 iirc. Had our first tree ripened one today. Remember the best time to plant a fruit tree is 10 years ago. The second best time is today.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Where did you get those bags to protect the fruit?

Amazon

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, got some ordered

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I had the best pear production this year as well! I used ziplock bags from the $1 store. I cut the ends off for drainage. Keeps the bees and squirrels away. The pears were left alone but my peaches and apples got hammered by the squirrels.

Boolit Master
    We have just one peach tree, two pear trees and 4 apple trees. The peach had nice fruit the first time it fruited, and maybe for a couple of years, then didn't do much after that. Started pruning and shaping it about 4 yrs ago. Didn't help much but 2 years ago, I thought I had over pruned. Any way this spring it was loaded with blossoms, then fruit, so much that it broke one of the main branches. One peach weighed 10.1 oz, had another one weigh at 9.6 oz. We made cobbler the other day and it was pretty good, considering it was out first ever. We now have about 15 quart bags of frozen peaches, which some will end up in peach pies. Still have more peaches to process, and a few more still on the tree. The deer and squirrels have not bothered the peaches at all. Then again, we don't have that many squirrels around here. Anyway, we are thankful for the bountiful harvest. The tree was planted shortly after our oldest granddaughter was born, and she just turned 17.

Boolit Master

Planted two avocado trees this year. Hopefully I will not have to wait 10 years for fruit. Nice on the pears and peaches. They are a no go where I am but I have Banana's, pineapple, coconuts and hopefully avocado's one day.

Very nice! Congratulations!

We struggled for years to get a good crop of pears. We were finally allowed to use irrigation canal water 3 years ago.....and the change in all of our stuff is amazing. We had huge (for us) pear crops two years in a row now. We lost all of last years to raccoons, and a bunch this year.....though 5 raccoons paid the ultimate price for their thievery!

The bags are pretty neat.....but, I’m afraid will only help the raccoons escape with more! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I lost a lot of pears to not picking enough off when they were growing this year. I had some extremely large limbs brake off. Apparently I didn’t prune the trees correctly.

Boolit Master
    I had a incredible year this year with peaches & apples , actually to much of a good thing , but my pear tree only has a dozen or so pears on it - it's more of a pear stick then a tree .
    We had a pretty good growing season this year it seamed to rain every week throughout the summer + I actually sprayed the trees a few times this year .
    Next up is the nut trees , unless the squirrels get them we should have our first chestnuts this fall , hopefully they will be to busy running around with the pecans to get the chestnuts .
    Life is good

Boolit Master
    Two very old pear trees. First year in awhile that a late frost did not get the blossoms; so had a good year. Even overwhelmed the squirrels.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I had the best pear production this year as well!
    Same here in Virginia. We have a tree that's over 20 years old (probably close to 30 yrs old) and most of the branches are breaking, or at least resting on the ground, due to the weight of all the pears. I've never seen a crop this big.

Looks like a bumper crop of pecans, as well. I'll be hunting squirrels in the yard any day now.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a two pear trees, both are late season ripeners, different varieties', both are about 15 years old...It was an honest 10 years before they started producing. Last year was a bumper crop. This year looks OK, but not near the quantity of last year.

We had a storm with big wind, 2 weeks ago, knocked off and bruised several pears. I picked them all up and put them in the garage, to keep the bees off of them. Those bruisers have been ripening nicely, I've eaten a few in the last couple days. The ones on the tree, when ripe, will be lots tastier tho. As in previous years, they should be ripe near very end of Sept, or first week of Oct. with the drought, it's been a weird year, so I'm watching them closely. I have been watering the trees regularly thru the drought (cistern rain water), but it's never the same as fresh rain.

I think the secret to get them to produce blooms every year, is to fertilize in early Spring. Why in spring? Did you know the tree is "creating" the next years blooms, as this years blooms are opening up. Of course that has nothing to do with pollination, which a cold spring can be a factor in getting or NOT getting fruit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    We have just one peach tree, two pear trees and 4 apple trees. The peach had nice fruit the first time it fruited, and maybe for a couple of years, then didn't do much after that. Started pruning and shaping it about 4 yrs ago. Didn't help much but 2 years ago, I thought I had over pruned. Any way this spring it was loaded with blossoms, then fruit, so much that it broke one of the main branches. One peach weighed 10.1 oz, had another one weigh at 9.6 oz. We made cobbler the other day and it was pretty good, considering it was out first ever. We now have about 15 quart bags of frozen peaches, which some will end up in peach pies. Still have more peaches to process, and a few more still on the tree. The deer and squirrels have not bothered the peaches at all. Then again, we don't have that many squirrels around here. Anyway, we are thankful for the bountiful harvest. The tree was planted shortly after our oldest granddaughter was born, and she just turned 17.
    I have read that you can prune up to 30% of a peach tree every year. We pruned ours pretty hard and got a good crop this year so it seems to work

Boolit Master
    Thumbcocker, that's good to know, I thought I had done irreparable damage to the tree, it looked so bad.

To keep the coons out of your trees, wrap a sheet of metal around the tree and tack it on. When I had my pump business we had to do that to some transformer poles that coons would not stay off of. They would get up there, fry themselves, blow a fuse, single phasing the motor and taking it out. The Power Co. told us to do it but don't say they said so. We used the aluminum sheets from offset printing. Probably don't have that option today but building tin would do.
    My fruit didn't do too good this year. Easy winter, hot summer and several days of late hard frost in between. Thats how ag is, it's them 2 good years keep me trying. One about 10 years ago and the other one next year. Did get over 5 gallons of tart cherries off one tree though. They are a bullet proof fruit. Hazel nuts are going crazy and so am I trying to keep the limbs up above the deer.

Boolit Master
    I had the crows eat all of the top pears out of my tree. The deer get the bottom fruit. Sapsuckers have killed my pear tree. This is at my summer house in the Northeast.
    The bears destroyed my golden delicious apple tree, and they break a lot of limbs off of my cherry trees, the turkeys eat all of my blueberries and the deer eat all of the apples that the bears leave.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    I had the crows eat all of the top pears out of my tree. The deer get the bottom fruit. Sapsuckers have killed my pear tree. This is at my summer house in the Northeast.
    The bears destroyed my golden delicious apple tree, and they break a lot of limbs off of my cherry trees, the turkeys eat all of my blueberries and the deer eat all of the apples that the bears leave.
    Sounds like good hunting!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

The one thing I miss from our house in Portland was the Lambert cherry tree in the front yard.

Man...those were awesome cherries.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Today I tried a home made smoothie with home grown frozen peaches , and slightly cooked apples with a touch of brown sugar , really nice .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast