Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: recycling jackets

recycling jackets

I just took 2 five gallon buckets of jackets to the scrap yard. They were paying $2.10 a pound for yellow brass. Walked out with $182.00. Moral is, save your jackets when melting the lead out.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Just turned in 42 pounds of scrap brass, spent primers, $2 a pound. I’ll take it. Five day wait on the copper jackets check. Scrap is up down here in Louisiana.

PLUSSSS, in the lead barrel was a Linotype pig! (it’s not there anymore,)
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    I have several buckets of what I have scraped off when smelting range scrap out in the garage. I took one to the local scrapyard a year or 2 ago and they didn’t want it because it was so dirty… rocks, dirt, and some lead still mixed in. I guess I need to go through them and clean them up somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bashby View Post
    I have several buckets of what I have scraped off when smelting range scrap out in the garage. I took one to the local scrapyard a year or 2 ago and they didn’t want it because it was so dirty… rocks, dirt, and some lead still mixed in. I guess I need to go through them and clean them up somehow.
    Bart, took mine to the recycler in Martinsburg. I didn't clean them up or anything like that. They also said they would take spent primers. Just make sure you take a decent magnet to them.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    If my guy finds one steel jacket with a magnet, he is not taking them...for brass or copper pricing...they are not excited about them, it is the bits of lead I am guessing
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    If my guy finds one steel jacket with a magnet, he is not taking them...for brass or copper pricing...they are not excited about them, it is the bits of lead I am guessing
    I have a 500 pound pull magnet that I run over the empty jackets. The steel literally jump to the magnet.

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't melted range scrap in a long time but if I did I would save the jackets. I even save and recycle the clips from clip-on weights and spent primers!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    Bart, took mine to the recycler in Martinsburg. I didn't clean them up or anything like that. They also said they would take spent primers. Just make sure you take a decent magnet to them.
    I remember you saying that other places would take them. Are you taking them to Martinsburg scrap on Moler avenue?

Quote Originally Posted by Bashby View Post
    I remember you saying that other places would take them. Are you taking them to Martinsburg scrap on Moler avenue?
    Yep, Where the ice house use to be about two or three blocks off Queen st.

Boolit Master

My yard denied me the first time I tried last year due to brass jackets. This time, I took a old Plastic tub, dissolved a handful of LemiShine in the water, and soaked them down. It helps take the tarnish off and lets you pick out the brass jackets. It took a couple hours, but I ended up with 4 buckets full. I believe the total between two trips was $686. Well worth the effort. Second trip I scored 3 full bars of 50/50 solder for $.60 a lb.

I've mentioned it here before, but about a year ago I landed a 5 gallon bucket 1/4 full of perfectly good jacketed bullets. .308, .270, 9mm, .40, and .45. Ended up being over 1,000 bullets for the grand sum of $5. Scrap yards are a gold mine for casters. Check often.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzy4200 View Post
    My yard denied me the first time I tried last year due to brass jackets. This time, I took a old Plastic tub, dissolved a handful of LemiShine in the water, and soaked them down. It helps take the tarnish off and lets you pick out the brass jackets.
    I didn't go in looking for copper prices. I went in looking for yellow brass price and told them there was copper mixed in. They gladly payed the yellow brass price. Evidently gilding metal is in high demand right now.