Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where are the Primers and Powder?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    How do you explain the shortage of reloading equipment??? It's starting to get better but Dillon is still 12-18 months out on pistol dies.

Powder has been available quite a bit if you're fast. Same for primers.

Your own statement about needing to be fast proves it is not readily available and most of us are just lucking in to it if we find it. I am in good shape on powder but still grab the more commonly used ones when I see them because I have friends happy to get it.

I explain the equipment shortage the same way I explain shortages in computer chips, appliances,etc.....raw materials and labor disruption from supply, manufacturing to truck drivers to ship the components and products. I believe that the new gun owners put a bite on loaded ammo, but these people buying their first gun and jumping right into reloading in large enough numbers to cause supply disruptions....not buying it.

Boolit Grand Master
    9 mm ammo here has dropped to around $20 a box.

Some Powder, no primers

Boolit Master
    if you go to the imrpowder web site when the page first opens it says where is all the powder q&A. when I click on it my computer blocks the pop up window. maybe some one who is more computer savvy can get it to open and tell us what they have to say

Boolit Master

Bass pro the next county over gets a box of primers in about every week. 80/1000.

I know tula/ wolf primers got banned..what about s&b?

I still have some boxes of s&b and wolf at 20$..when prices were good.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    if you go to the imrpowder web site when the page first opens it says where is all the powder q&A. when I click on it my computer blocks the pop up window. maybe some one who is more computer savvy can get it to open and tell us what they have to say

hodgdon_social_powder_update-ver6-1.pdf

Sorry can't get the PDF to display in the post but it opens fine when clicked on.

If it is of any use I was at Morrison’s in Asheville NC today they had lots of powder, although calling first would probably a good idea. I was not a buyer so I did not take notes several 8 pounders though.

Boolit Master
    Our lgs got 60K of spp recently. Winchester and CCI. Limited to 200. Was all gone in a little over a week. That's just 12 cases though it sounds like a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    I just bought another 5lb's of D700X. The powder is made here in Canada and is the equivalent of 700X sold by Hogdon. I suspect it is the same powder sold under a different label. I have lots of pistol powder now on hand albeit in small batches of this and that. I do see an end of my primer supply. What is causing the primer/powder shortages? Is the US armed forces rearming or is this shortage civilian driven?

Tale Care

Bob
    Our President gave all the powder and primers in the form of loaded ammo to the Taliban!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    Bass pro the next county over gets a box of primers in about every week. 80/1000.

I know tula/ wolf primers got banned..what about s&b?

I still have some boxes of s&b and wolf at 20$..when prices were good.
    S&B got out of the primer market a few years back.
    NRA Benefactor.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    S&B got out of the primer market a few years back.
    Somebody must be still making S&B branded Primers as they are still being imported into Canada. I bought 5K last spring. Dealer is now out of them and waiting for a new shipment. Price was $4.50Cdn/100. This was just before prices took a hike and primers disappeared off the shelves.

Take Care

Bob
    Last edited by robertbank; 09-15-2021 at 04:42 PM.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    took a trip to town, l one gun store had about a dozen 1lb containers of hodgdon powers left from shipment they got in recently, $33/lb they had 335 and super performance , 4831, titgroup and a bunch others. they had 6 big boxes of new ammo on counter the just came in and had yet to be unpacked.
    they also had shelf full of 250count boxes of Hornady bullets, one stack was .308 250 grain-- I took double look--who shoots 30 cal 250 grain bullets?
    Last edited by farmbif; 09-16-2021 at 06:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    No more Tula/Wolf Ammo or components to be imported into US as long as Biden and Company are in Office. They have stopped all future imports of Russian Ammo/Components.
    It won't happen after Biden and Company are gone. When have you ever seen an incoming administration reverse a previous administrations import bans? Bill Clinton banned imports of Chinese firearms (and ammo IIRC), that's why you don't see any new in box Norinco products or Chinese blammo which was once very plentiful.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    It won't happen after Biden and Company are gone. When have you ever seen an incoming administration reverse a previous administrations import bans? Bill Clinton banned imports of Chinese firearms (and ammo IIRC), that's why you don't see any new in box Norinco products or Chinese blammo which was once very plentiful.
    Sad in a way but politics are politics. Latest pistol from China is there 9MM pistol used by their army. Sells for $270Cdn or $208US. DA/SA polymer frame decocker model. Looks like a well made pistol. At that price I may pick one up just for the heck of it.

https://www.gotenda.com/product/nori...2020-new-model

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Last night Midway had some LPP and LRP so I snagged 1k of each, trying not to dip into my stores. They do seem to be getting more available, just not "walk into your LGS and buy 5 cases" available.

Today I stopped in at Guns Unlimited in Omaha. They had lots of Hodgdon, Winchester and some IMR, including 4350. No Alliant to be seen. Had a bunch of more common Hornady jacketed bullets too. Said they were told October/November for primers, hope it comes true! I am really only short on small pistol, and I can borrow some if needed from my brother. hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    I've been visiting with an acquaintance who lives out on the east coast somewhere. He had mentioned a gun show coming up, so I asked him to check out the primer situation. He got back to me this morning. $250 per one thousand primers, large or small, no limit. I have no idea if any actually sold. For sure, I would have just walked away.

Boolit Master

The last gun show I attended here in SW Oregon had primers for sale at #250 per thousand.
    I didn`t see anyone buying them.

I work at a small town new car dealer that generally keeps a couple hundred new cars. We have five half ton trucks, no other trucks, and seven small crossover SUV's. A friend owns a furniture and appliance store. They can't get couches or parts to fix a 'fridge. Another friend's family owns a chain of fast food restaurants...they can't get pickles, "corn nuggets", or cheese sticks. Their supplier for chicken to make tenders can't keep up nor can the vendor that sells them bottled water with their logo on it.

Sure, demand is high but there is a serious supply side issue across the board. The demand for cars, appliances and furniture, and fried chicken has not gone up like the demand for ammo and components to reload but there are still massive issues.

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    The last gun show I attended here in SW Oregon had primers for sale at #250 per thousand.
    I didn`t see anyone buying them.
    Same here. Plenty of powder and ammo at the shows. No body much buying.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast