RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading UKADvertise here
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Black verses 20 ga Sh-Sh slug

  1. #1
    Boolit Master Blood Trail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    1,336

    Black verses 20 ga Sh-Sh slug

    The 20 ga won. This isnít a fast, blazing load. Only moving at a little over 1200 fps, it easily dispatched this brute.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Boolit Grand Master


    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aberdeen, South Dakota
    Posts
    5,107
    Fantastic. Great minds think alike.

  3. #3
    Vendor Sponsor

    W.R.Buchanan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ojai CA
    Posts
    8,889
    Leon: That doesn't look like Texas? Where did you shoot that one?

    People should note the comment about his Velocity of @1200 fps. I maintain that there is no need for Super Hi Zoot Butt Kicker Slug Loads for 99% of your slug shooting. Also we've seen some pics of other animals Leon has shot with those slugs (12 ga.) and they do make a powerful impression.

    If you are going for Polar Bears then maybe something more powerful.

    I know all the Polar Bear Guides in Churchill MA Canada, carry ordinary Police Style Pump Shotguns (870's) loaded with Brenneke Slugs.

    Many of the Brenneke loads qualify as "Top of the Line Butt Kickers," and touching one off is probably considered a last resort type of thing. But good to know you'll only have to shoot once.

    If all I had in a Polar Bear encounter was a Low Recoil Federal Slug and a gun that was decently accurate I wouldn't feel under gunned. Especially if I had 5 more shots to get it right.

    See my newest Polar Bear Gun. see pic

    Always Remember,,, Nothing Lives thru a Slug!


    Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2173.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	288446  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-09-2021 at 03:08 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

  4. #4
    Boolit Master Blood Trail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    1,336
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Leon: That doesn't look like Texas? Where did you shoot that one?

    People should note the comment about his Velocity of @1200 fps. I maintain that there is no need for Super Hi Zoot Butt Kicker Slug Loads for 99% of your slug shooting. Also we've seen some pics of other animals Leon has shot with those slugs (12 ga.) and they do make a powerful impression.

    If you are going for Polar Bears then maybe something more powerful.

    I know all the Polar Bear Guides in Churchill MA Canada, carry ordinary Police Style Pump Shotguns (870's) loaded with Brenneke Slugs.

    Many of the Brenneke loads qualify as "Top of the Line Butt Kickers," and touching one off is probably considered a last resort type of thing. But good to know you'll only have to shoot once.

    If all I had in a Polar Bear encounter was a Low Recoil Federal Slug and a gun that was decently accurate I wouldn't feel under gunned. Especially if I had 5 more shots to get it right.

    See my newest Polar Bear Gun. see pic

    Always Remember,,, Nothing Lives thru a Slug!


    Randy
    Hey Randy. Iím up in the northern woods of Wisconsin close to the UP. Weather is fanatic!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Boolit Master

    Hogtamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    East central GA, Appling near Augusta
    Posts
    3,020
    BT, that sure is a wooly hog!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

  6. #6
    Boolit Grand Master


    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Aberdeen, South Dakota
    Posts
    5,107
    Yeah, you came on a good week. That cool breeze feels phenomenal. Dry summer, so few bugs. On a normal year, we couldn't see your face through the horsefly's and mosquitoes.

  7. #7
    Boolit Master




    EMC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East TN Mountains...Thanks be to God!
    Posts
    4,518
    Dog Gone! Well done!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

  8. #8
    Boolit Bub commando223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    South TX
    Posts
    48
    I'm looking to make that same load for my Savage 320 I'm getting ready to order that Russian mold.

    Are you using a screw to attach it to the wad?

    How much do those slugs weigh?

  9. #9
    Boolit Master
    Petander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,206
    Congrats!

    Beautiful PC and all.

    Now you made me want that slug in 20 , got the 12 already.

  10. #10
    Boolit Master Blood Trail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    1,336
    Quote Originally Posted by commando223 View Post
    I'm looking to make that same load for my Savage 320 I'm getting ready to order that Russian mold.

    Are you using a screw to attach it to the wad?

    How much do those slugs weigh?
    Yes, the screw is attached to the wad through the slug.

    As for weight, I believe they are right around an oz for total ejection weight.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Boolit Master
    Petander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,206
    Blood Trail,

    is this a Svarog mold or AS? Any fillout quirks?

    I just got a Svarog 20 and it is a tough one to fill. Been fighting for a week. I have other Svarogs in 12 gauge,they are working normally.

    Thanks.

  12. #12
    Boolit Master Blood Trail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    1,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Blood Trail,

    is this a Svarog mold or AS? Any fillout quirks?

    I just got a Svarog 20 and it is a tough one to fill. Been fighting for a week. I have other Svarogs in 12 gauge,they are working normally.

    Thanks.
    I run a full pot turned all the way up. I also heat the mold on a hotplate. Takes a couple pours. Out of 50 slugs, I may have two or three to go back in the pot.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Boolit Grand Master


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    5,953
    BT,

    Very nice!!!

    Did you recover the slug or did it pass through?
    Don Verna

    NRA Endowment Member

  14. #14
    Boolit Master
    Petander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    I run a full pot turned all the way up. I also heat the mold on a hotplate. Takes a couple pours. Out of 50 slugs, I may have two or three to go back in the pot.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you, I'm doing the same. Gotta live with this I guess.

    Don, my guess is a well exploded slug.

  15. #15
    Boolit Master Blood Trail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    1,336
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    BT,

    Very nice!!!

    Did you recover the slug or did it pass through?
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    BT,

    Very nice!!!

    Did you recover the slug or did it pass through?
    I did. The petals broke off and the main body of the slug of embedded the the back of the neck.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    USMC 77, USRA 79


    Markopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Remote island in SE Alaska
    Posts
    2,360
    wow.... how did I miss this????

    Nice job Leon... did you take pics of the wound channel?
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

    I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

  17. #17
    Boolit Master
    Petander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,206
    Wow I'm slow. But now I see, they have two options and this is the wide belted version.

    I'm not happy with my Svarog fillout, gotta order AS next time.

    Are you using a rifled barrel?

  18. #18
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    576
    Congratulations on your success, Blood Trail. It occurs to me that, what you (and all of us creating various slug loads)...are really doing, as regards ballistics, is more or less duplicating black powder cartridge loads from the 1800's. A 300 to 500 grain projectile, launched at around 1200 fps. Roughly speaking, that is about what they got from a 45-70, a 56-50 Spencer, just to name two. There are many others that basically fit those rough parameters.

    I find this quite interesting. We've come all this way, only to realize that they were obviously doing something right, back in the day...and we are basically doing the same thing. As I said...interesting.

  19. #19
    Boolit Master Blood Trail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    1,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Wow I'm slow. But now I see, they have two options and this is the wide belted version.

    I'm not happy with my Svarog fillout, gotta order AS next time.

    Are you using a rifled barrel?
    Both, but mainly rifled.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Vendor Sponsor

    W.R.Buchanan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ojai CA
    Posts
    8,889
    Quote Originally Posted by bcp477 View Post
    Congratulations on your success, Blood Trail. It occurs to me that, what you (and all of us creating various slug loads)...are really doing, as regards ballistics, is more or less duplicating black powder cartridge loads from the 1800's. A 300 to 500 grain projectile, launched at around 1200 fps. Roughly speaking, that is about what they got from a 45-70, a 56-50 Spencer, just to name two. There are many others that basically fit those rough parameters.

    I find this quite interesting. We've come all this way, only to realize that they were obviously doing something right, back in the day...and we are basically doing the same thing. As I said...interesting.
    One major difference, and that is,,, one is .458 in Dia. and the other is .730 in Dia. The latter is much more efficient at dumping it's energy on a meat target.

    Everyone needs to learn about Taylor Knock Out factor,,, TKO https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_knock-out_factor.

    What you will find is that a 11/8 oz 12 ga slug running at 1600 fps has slightly more actual knock down power than a .458 Win Mag. 500 gr bullet at 2150 fps. 70 for the Win Mag versus 82 for the Slug. This is because the Win Mag will probably go all the way thru the animal and end up dumping the remainder of it's energy in the dirt beyond, whereas the slug will dump all it's energy immediately on impact.

    The slugs Leon is shooting take this even farther by having massing HP's in the nose which make the slug open up really fast and create a real mess.

    A 12 ga shotgun is about the most formidable weapon the common man can own, and inside of 100 yards nothing lives thru a slug hit.

    But do learn about TKO as it is the best way to assess Slug performance in comparison to regular Rifle bullets. You be surprised at the amount of power you are wielding.

    Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check