Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black verses 20 ga Sh-Sh slug

Boolit Master
    I just jumped into Double Rifle World (470 NE) and read that TKO was a created by Taylor mostly for missed brain shots when hunting elephants. Enough TKO and the animal goes down from the power, a sledgehammer effect. Even when you miss the brain.

Back to 20 slugs, I will try cutting these wads for now. Can't get real 20 brush wads, got something else coming from Siarm now though.

Boolit Master
    Regarding this nearly similar Svarog mold, I have to take some of my words back.

This mold just needed half a dozen casting sessions to break in, now it fills and gives good slugs after 300 castings or so. I did the usual Brakekleen / Fairy cleanup twice, maybe a few heat cyclings would have helped?

Anyway, it is working nice and easy now. Even the pin often drops by itself .

AS molds look just like Svarog, I wonder if they actually are the same? My wide band AS is coming anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Those are looking nice!

Not sure I've seen your slugs naked before, they are usually bright colours.

On a somewhat different note... I'm curious about accuracy comparison of these slugs using screw on brush wads versus the plug in Azot wads.

Have you compared accuracy of both side by side? Assuming you have both styles of mould.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Not SH-SH but Grizzly from AS Company. My first AS mold. Not my last one!

Very nice to cast with, no "whacking" needed at all. I'm happy with this. Fast break in time. Somehow feels more "solid" than my Svarog molds.

Results from my second session. No sticking,no seams. Just a clean mold.

Boolit Grand Master

That's the mould I like! Does it come with the universal pin for screw on wads?

Is that one 20ga. or 12ga.?

Looking at the AS site they show segmented pin and "solid" HP pin but neither appears to create the screw hole.

The Svarghunt site shows what looks like a universal pin for the Grizzly slug mould and they mention using a "shank" for increased accuracy.

I don't know how most people would drill the brush wad or other and get the hole centered. I'd do it in my lathe or make a jig with a center hole and use a drill press. I'm surprised these guys don't sell drilling jigs.

Anyway, I'll be watching for range reports on this one! I like it!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post

Is that one 20ga. or 12ga.?

Longbow
    This is 20 gauge and came with one HP pin. No hole-through. I didn't notice neither need other options now.

This is the wide belted AS Grizzly version for rifled barrels. I only have a rifled choke 20, my friend has a barrel but doesn't cast. I bought this mostly to cast for him. 420 grains is nice.

Leon: give me a comparison of the SH SH slugs compared to the Twister slugs?

It seems that the SH SH has wider driving bands that would hook up on rifling better than the Twister Slug?

It seems like the Twister would open up faster but the SH SH would open up as well, maybe not as quickly? or would it matter?

You've shot both what do you think?

Randy

Petander: Those Grizzly Slugs look like they were designed specifically for a Rifled Bore. Nice wide driving bands.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Longbow
    It would be pretty easy to make a Drill Bushing that fit into the HP to drill these thru for the screw on wad option.

I see a 15 minute job there?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Grand Master

True enough Randy but I'd rather just cast then run the screw through.

It does appear that the AS mould is for rifled barrel only but the Svaroghunt mould shows the "universal" style pin that does go right through so could be used for both... can't say I noticed driving band width though for comparison.

I like the AS-Molds site and the products look good. I would likely go with the Grizzly Shock mould as it comes with HP and segmented pins but I want to find out if I can order more pins to alter like universal pins going right to the bottom of the sprue plate. I'm sure it would be easy to bore a 1/8" hole and press a pin in. Us guys without rifled guns need tailwads!

Hmmm... have to check that too, not sure Svaroghunt has a segmented pin for the Grizzly. If not I'd go AS-molds and drill if I had to.

I guess with a drill bushing it wouldn't be a big deal to drill either.

Anyone have comments about Svaroghunt moulds versus AS-Molds ~ Quality? Price? Service?

Those are good looking slugs Petander! But not colourful like usual!

Longbow

Boolit Master

Those are good looking slugs Petander! But not colourful like usual!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

There we go... I'm squinting, better get my sunglasses!

Boolit Master
    Why is there little done in 20 gauge slugs generally?

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Quote Originally Posted by Vettepilot View Post

Vettepilot
    Because they aren't 12 ga. ?

Randy

Boolit Master
    Ha! Yeah, I suppose. I've heard it said, "They're not accurate." I don't buy it that they're inherently inaccurate for some reason.

I love my 20 gauge for dove and quail hunting, but use one of my several 12 gauges for everything else. There's no substitute for "cubic inches" as they say...

Vettepilot

Ha! Yeah, I suppose. I've heard it said, "They're not accurate." I don't buy it that they're inherently inaccurate for some reason.

I love my 20 gauge for dove and quail hunting, but use one of my several 12 gauges for everything else. There's no substitute for "cubic inches" as they say...

Vettepilot
    As a "Vettepilot" you should already know this.

Randy

Boolit Master
    Well, I'm a "pilot" pilot too, and there's no "replacement for displacement" there either!

;~)

Vettepilot

Vettepilot

From a ballistic viewpoint 20 gauge would be a better choice.
    It's nearly impossible to design a 12 gauge nose-heavy slug without adding an integrated wad or increase the overall length to a point where the slug become too heavy for anything but subsonic speed.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    From a ballistic viewpoint 20 gauge would be a better choice.
    It's nearly impossible to design a 12 gauge nose-heavy slug without adding an integrated wad or increase the overall length to a point where the slug become too heavy for anything but subsonic speed.
    Sounds interesting. How do you go about designing a slug?

Vettepilot

Boolit Master

Smile

"There isn't much done" with slugs in the 20 gauge because all of the 12 gauge snobs monopolize the issue with their over-sized bores and uppity attitude. So, the greatly superior 20 gauge gets ignored mostly....and is treated like the red-headed stepchild of the 12.

Well, bugger them. I devote my energies, for one, entirely to the glorious 20...and ignore the ridiculous powder-waster 12...using round lead balls. 53 cal. balls make dandy slugs in the 20...effective, accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

So there !

Boolit Grand Master

As Cap'n Morgan points out, if you only consider lead bore diameter slugs then for a given weight the 20 ga. slug will have greater sectional density and higher BC at reasonable weight. However, if you consider discarding sabot then the 12 ga. can launch the same slug as the 20 ga. full bore slug and do it with same velocity and lower pressure or same pressure and higher velocity.

Both bore sizes can launch a .45 or .50 cal. slug of same weight and the same applies.

For rifled guns you are only considering slugs so maybe not a huge difference but for smoothbore the 12 ga. is more versatile with regards to buckshot and two ball or Tri-Ball.

Nothing wrong with 20 ga. but I'll stick with my 12 ga.'s.

Longbow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast