Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TC Maxi-Ball Accuracy

TC Maxi-Ball Accuracy

I recently picked up a .54 Caliber TC Renegade and a good supply of Maxi balls that came with it. I've only ever shot Patched round balls in other ML but figured since I had all of these I'd give them a try first.

What kind of accuracy are you getting from them?

Thanks

Boolit Master

It's been awhile but I've shot them in a .54cal T/C Hawken and .50cal in a T/C White MTN Carbine. Both with issue sights.

The Hawken would group 3 shots usually touching at 100yrds from the Bench, so 1 1/4" - 1 1/2".
    Lucky if the Little Carbine would do that at 50yrds.

The Hawken punched thru a 300lb hog at 75yrds at a hard run. He slide about 20ft, dead before his nose touched the dirt.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Out of my .54 renegade and Hawken I've routinely gotten 2" groups at 50 yards shooting off cross sticks with a load of 80 grains of Pyrodex RS. I get most consistent accuracy with an unlubed 1/8" Durafelt wad under the lubed Maxi Ball. I cast the .45, .50 and .54 Maxi-Balls as well as appropriate round balls. Out of the .54 the same charge with a patched 230 grain round ball gives the same group size and almost the same POI. GF

Boolit Buddy
    I had good accuracy results with my TC Hawken and 50 370 grains. What I found was that accuracy deteriorated progressively when shot without wiping the bore.

I was never impressed with the killing ability of the Maxi Ball. I found balls to be quicker killers in 54 on elk and 50 on deer. IMO, it's too pointy.

This on should be more deadly if you can find one

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ.../LYMAN-508-656

T/C Hawken 45 flint 5 shots 4" @ 100 yds. The Maxi Ball is more accurate then my round ball.

If you measure the slug, its smaller at the base. It takes a healthy powder charge to expand the slug to the rifling for accuracy.

Do you like shooting elephant guns? (.54 Caliber)

Boolit Grand Master

I use a 370 gr Maxi-Ball in my 50 cal TC Black Mountain Magnum. Cast them of 16-1 alloy and load over 90 gr (V) Triple 7 fffg. They run 1550 fps and kill very well. When hunting I load one down the spout then carry 5 speed loaders. Figure if I ain't got the critter in 6 shots might as well go home....

Here's the 6 shots at 100 yards with no wiping or other cleaning between shots.

Attachment 288451
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

I never could get these to shoot good with even moderate charges of powder. It's ok to start at 90 grains, but best accuracy for me in both 50 and 54 caliber is 110-120 grains. With open sights, I saw the occasional 3" group at 100 yards, 4" was more realistic. With a scoped 50 caliber rifle, I'm pretty consistent at 1 1/2".

Boolit Buddy
    In the 80's , I've must've shot a railcar of maxi balls through a Renegade kit rifle. Couldn't of asked for anything better...easy to load, accurate and easy to cast. I prefer them to PRB in my Renegade.

That bullet was designed for the T/C 1:48 twist. Accuracy is stellar.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    That bullet was designed for the T/C 1:48 twist. Accuracy is stellar.
    In my 48" twist TCs I have found the same. The problem I have with them is that with a hawken curved metal butt plate they kill on both ends. Best accuracy for me was charges of 80 grains and up with a felt wad.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Still working on a maxi ball load for my .54 Hawken, I’m hoping for 3-4” at 100 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have both a 50 & 54 Renegade. have not shot for groups in quite a while since I worked on a load for each, but accuracy was around 2-2 1/2" at 50 yds, both have killed quite a few deer here in Pa's flintlock season, so far none got away, so must be accurate enough. I really like the sights on the Renegade much better than the Hawken I used to have.
    Barry

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I never could get these to shoot good with even moderate charges of powder. It's ok to start at 90 grains, but best accuracy for me in both 50 and 54 caliber is 110-120 grains. With open sights, I saw the occasional 3" group at 100 yards, 4" was more realistic. With a scoped 50 caliber rifle, I'm pretty consistent at 1 1/2".
    Note in my post above megasupermagnum's I stated I use "90 gr (V) Triple 7 fffg". That is by volume of BP using a BP measure which is what the (V) stands for. The weight of 90gr (V) of Triple 7 fffg is just 68 gr. My bad as I just figured experienced ML'ers would understand that. Not saying megasupermagnum doesn't just pointing out that a "starting load" of 90 gr of Triple 7 under that Maxi might be a bit much. By weight a start load of 45 gr would be about right.

Also note I use a 16-1 alloy which holds up a lot better to the magnum level velocity generated with the 90 gr (V) load of Triple 7 fffg. Pure lead and even 20-1 alloyed bullets did not stand up to that acceleration. At the lower acceleration level of the OP's non magnum 54 Renegade the softer 40-1, 30-1 or 20-1 alloys will probably work best. The obturation ability of the alloy under probable max level load has to be matched to that level for best results. Too much obturation is just as bad as not enough.

The TC manual shows 90 gr (weight) of BP ffg to be the "optimum load" for a 54 cal 530 - 540 gr Maxi at 1218 fps. It shows 100 gr of ffg (weight) to be optimum for 360- 435 gr bullets at 1345 to 1483 fps. Thus, if Triple 7 is used, an optimum load by weight would be in the 68 - 75 gr (weight) range.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 09-11-2021 at 11:11 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    If you want accuracy try lubing lower lube groove (ONLY) all that"s needed , lube the whole thing and it throws off balance ! Try it and see !/Ed

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I've got to get out and try the Maxi balls I casted from the mold Mega sold me. Casted and lubed a bunch but never got around to shooting them. I have a 50 cal. traditions Pioneer. Didn't come with a manual so I'll have to try and Google load data for it. I also picked up 2 boxes of thompson center 50 count sabots. One for 44 cal boolits and one for 45 cal. They were around $9 each with free shipping right from TC.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-11-2021 at 03:00 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    If it's a 1:48, then you will want to stay in the180 to 200 range in the sabots for the 44s. My Hawken spit the 200 gr 429 at 2000 fps. I don't recall the charge but it would have been goex ff. I'm not one to load extremely heavy.

Boolit Master
    Off a good bench, my mid 70s set trigger and TC peep sighted .54 Renegade (like Larry's no. 6) with the lighter Maxiballs smeared with Bore Butter sitting over 120 gr. charges of Pyrodex flakes usually shoots into less than 2" @100 yds. I've had some open-mouth witnesses.
    (Lighter charges don't do as well.)

That is a true hunting rifle. Why the man-sized .54 died in the market while the puny little .50 thing lives on is a mystery to me.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by longcruise View Post
    If it's a 1:48, then you will want to stay in the180 to 200 range in the sabots for the 44s. My Hawken spit the 200 gr 429 at 2000 fps. I don't recall the charge but it would have been goex ff. I'm not one to load extremely heavy.
    Mines a 1/32 twist

Boolit Buddy
    Even better for maxi and conicals.

Boolit Buddy
    I've heard that this works good in the faster twist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast