Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone suggest where I might buy Just ONE

Boolit Master

Cool Can someone suggest where I might buy Just ONE

7/8"X14 Bolt that will fit my loading press threads? It is the same diameter and thread as a standard reloading die, and should be fully threaded. length? Probably 3-3 1/2 inches.
    I will use it firelapping my revolver, so I don't gunk up my good seater dies with the abrasive. I have a can of abrasive I got from Veral Smith some time ago, which should work well, and some of Hornady's swaged 158 gr. SWC, BHN~10 which should work fine, loaded to minimum .38 spl. velocities. (I hope)

I have had no luck on the internet, probably because I don't know the specification for the thread...standard, coarse, or fine. I had an order in with Beartooth Bullets, but after 5 months, and no response to my inquiries, I cancelled.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Buddy
    Visit your nearest hardware or well stocked farm supply store if you have one nearby. 7/8-14NF (national fine) is the threads your wanting.

Uh 7/8 is the diameter and 14 is the number of threads per inch check McMaster - Carr

https://www.mcmaster.com/bolts/mediu...x-head-screws/
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master
    About the only easily found 7/8"-14 bolts you will find will be grade 8 ($$$). They are fairly easy to find at a well stocked hardware store. I usually buy the ones I need at my local farm and ranch supply store.

I don't know for sure, but I have read that the studs on semis are 7/8-14, so if you know a big truck mechanic or are friendly with a tire repair place, you may try that.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Since it's not going to be a high volume loading operation for that use, have you considered just thumb seating the bullets after sizing?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I get mine from zoro.com. Orders over $50.00 ship free, if you have an account with them, otherwise free shipping kicks in at $75.00. Zoro is owned by Grainger, so they have just about everything Grainger's carries, only they have sales and mostly better prices. For me, a $50.00 order is fairly easy, since there's always something else I want or need.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

McMaster will sell you a a 4 inch length of 7/8-14 allthread for six bucks. With shipping it might cost you $15. I've used it before now - the B7 grade machines pretty easily.

https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-ro...s-grade-b7-10/
    Last edited by uscra112; 09-09-2021 at 05:40 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    Go to a gun show and check the junk boxes--I'm guessing somebody will have a partial set of 38/357 dies for sale at a cheap price. Use it, clean it and stash it away.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Mold
    i got one at tractor supply co they sell a hitch pin type for about $10

Boolit Master
    Or an eBay Lee Loader would work great.

Boolit Master
    "Go to a gun show and check the junk boxes--I'm guessing somebody will have a partial set of 38/357 dies for sale at a cheap price. Use it, clean it and stash it away. "

DING DING DING,,, the best answer. Inexpensive, work already done, and often cheap enough to not worry about. Heck, place a WTB ad here & buy one. Saves time work & money all around!

Are there any gun shows left that aren't wall-to-wall Glock/AR/AK and beef jerky?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Since it's not going to be a high volume loading operation for that use, have you considered just thumb seating the bullets after sizing?

I've heard numerous times the best way to fire lap is to load fired brass, and simply thumb seat the bullet flush with the mouth. You want to take up a bunch of the space, so you get more reliable results when you are only trying to shoot 400-500 fps. Minimum 38 special probably isn't slow enough. A lot of people use a volume powder measure, and start so low they are pretty sure it won't exit. Say 1 grain of bullseye. Then knock the bullet out, and go up a little, say 1.5 gr, and shoot again. Repeat until the bullet exits, but do not increase more. Make sure you are shooting a target that you can see each bullet hit.

Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't buy a bolt.

Do you have a 22 Horn die? or some small caliber?
    that should work well with a seating a 38 SWC, likely better than a flat bolt.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I use my lyman ram prime. I turn it in from the bottom and use that flat shell holder to do the seating against.

Mother thing you can do, is, if you have a die with a bigger center plug, like the belling die on most pistol sets, put. In from the bottom, and seat against the top of the plug.

Boolit Master
    MSC Industrial - mscdirect.com - carries 7/8-14 all thread - 2 feet for $15, low carbon steel, other machine tool or industrial suppliers carry similar stuff, search for '7/8-14 all thread'

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    McMaster will sell you a a 4 inch length of 7/8-14 allthread for six bucks. With shipping it might cost you $15. I've used it before now - the B7 grade machines pretty easily.

https://www.mcmaster.com/threaded-ro...s-grade-b7-10/
    yep, all thread is what I use.
    If you have a lathe you can make all kinds of specialty dies...
    https://www.mcmaster.com/all-thread-...d-size~7-8-14/

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...rsrh=true&rd=k
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Are there any gun shows left that aren't wall-to-wall Glock/AR/AK and beef jerky?

Yes - the ones in Kalispell are Glock/AR/AK and CBD and Spinal Manipulation/Massage vendors.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    If you cant find it in a Hardware Store, goto your neighborhood Machine Shop they should be able to fix you up.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast