MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision

Thread: 32naa questions

Boolit Mold

32naa questions

First post from a long time lurker. Got quite a few questions answered here before I ever registered just because so many google searches lead me here.

I'm interested in the relatively modern but already obsolete 32 naa. I don't even have dies for it yet and won't get a gun barreled for it until I can load the cartridge because it makes sense to me to get into an obsolete round starting with the loading before I get into the emptying.

So down to my specific questions. I've read you can form the brass with a sizing die in one pass. Is that correct? Seems a tad optimistic. A lot of forming in one pass.

As far as I know, Lee was the only company that actually made dies. I've found reference online to other companies but none that I can substitute as actually making and selling them. Are there any other makes? If so what's the best I can hope to find?

Definitely not my least question, are there any used reloading gear dealers I might check with? I've been combing eBay and gunbroker, posting wtb ads on various boards etc. Any leads on where I might look for a set of dies?

Thanks in advance

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have a 32 NAA but here are my thoughts:

I wouldn't expect a problem when forming brass from 380 ACP to 32 NAA. I'd use Imperial sizing wax for this process. Usually you can just use the sizing die if the cartridge was kinda set up for it. 357 Automag was formed directly from 44 Automag just by running it in the sizing die. You do need a decent press (RCBS Rockchucker I use).

Lee did make those dies. I imagine the only other possible solution is to contact CH4D. You'll be waiting a while anywhere with all the backorders.

The one pass can be a bit of a misnomer on reforming cases.

I have done a number of fairly radical reforming cases over the years. I have found that into the die (with Imperial sizing wax) just a little bit, back out then turn the case a 1/4 turn, then back into the die a little further. Repeat until fully into the die then check if they fit the chamber. You may have to relube the case during the forming.

If they don't chamber,, get another shellholder and grind the top down. 005" and try again. Keep grinding the shellholder until you get it to chamber.

Anneal after forming is USUALLY the best bet.

Research annealing, there are a hundred different ways to do it, there is no "one"" way.

I prefer two propane torches pointing at each other set to almost absolute minimum flame pointing at each other.

I anneal in an almost dark room, I can see the case start to glow way sooner than with brighter ambient light.

Keeps me from over heating the brass.

YMMV

This is just an old guy rambling on in a bier garten waiting for the barmaid to wander back in his direction

Now that the barmaid FINALLY got back here,

First reforming pass can also be made with the seating die. It is usually a skosh larger than the sizing die.

And if you are getting little tiny wrinkles in the neck, obsessively clean the neck portion of the die and the neck portion of the case. The lube should only be on the body of the case.

Where ya at?

May be someone nearby to lean on if this is your first foray into case forming.

Good luck and report on your success.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    No need for .32 NAA. Heavy up recoil springs in .32 ACP 1935 Beretta. COLT 1903, Cz27, Walther PP and load 3 grains AutoComp with .309" diameter, 90 - grain XTP for 900+ fps in 3-1/2" barrel for .40" expansion and 30 inches water jug penetration.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the replies thus far.

I may have a set of Lee in stock at my store, give me a call tuesday at 517-589-5748 Triple H Sports in Leslie Michigan.