Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Henry 30-30 opinions

Banned

Henry 30-30 opinions

Hello neighbors,

I have been looking at a Henry 30-30 with the steel receiver. Do any of you guys shoot a Henry 30-30? How well do they do with cast?

Thanks for your time,

Steve in N CA

Have a brass side port model that shoots better than 1.5" groups with the Lee 170gr PC bullet

Boolit Master
    I have the Henry single shot, with peeps front and back, it keeps 5 shots touching at 100yds with the Lee 170 gr, and 11 grs of Unique.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I have the Henry single shot, with peeps front and back, it keeps 5 shots touching at 100yds with the Lee 170 gr, and 11 grs of Unique.
    Thanks Sam,

It's funny that you mention the Henry single shot. I was actually thinking about that one instead of the lever gun. My goal is to shoot heavy subsonic loads similar to 300 Blackout.

Steve in N CA

The Henry Single shot rifle is another gun that can use some trigger stoning. I have read about people changing out the hammer spring to a lighter one. Even saw someone publish the Grainger part number. But I don't much like weakening the hammer strike. A qualified gunsmith can do a nice job. David White in Oklahoma did mine and I love it.

Jim

Boolit Bub
    I owned a Henry tube fed 30-30 for a time but found it to be far too heavy for my hunting needs. So it was sold and replaced with a Mossberg 464 featuring a 16 inch barrel and grey laminated stock. This carbine is a featherweight and meets my needs perfectly.

TR

The purpose of the 30-30 WCF is to be fed through a lever action with FP bullets ,I see no use for a exceptionally heavy single shot rifle that doesn’t do anything well. I bought a BB steel in .41 Mag. It sits at the local LGS for sale, again a heavy rifle that doesn’t do anything particularly well.Just get a Marlin or Winchester and be done .

Boolit Mold
    Have a steel Henry 30-30 with the color case hardened receiver and octagonal barrel. With iron sights, it shoots 165 gr. FP handloads at around 1,500fps to 1"-2" groups at 50 yards. Super slick levering rounds. Need to get a optic on it just to see what its mechanical accuracy is as shooting through a buckhorn sight for me is not the most accurate way of making tiny groups! Actually, I'd like to put a Skinner ghost ring rear sight on it as I have one of those on my Marlin 1894 and it works well. Let us know what you think!