WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scam phone calls are trending up, here

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Scam phone calls are trending up, here

I am getting the usual "Hi its your local sheriff's charity, we want to send you a donation envelope so you can send us a donation."

Translated into plain English, this means "Hey so I am thinking of scamming you, you'll send me cash through the US Mail since I assert that I'm somehow connected to LEOs, right?"

My guess is that about ZERO % of donations they get in in cash form, are passed along.

Moderator Emeritus

One of the BEST features of the cellular telephone service we now enjoy is the ability to BLOCK any call we... elect to longer receive! (I have two Apple iPhones -- a 7 and a 7+ -- which both have "recent" as part of telephony. To the right of the number is a little blue circle with the letter "i" in it -- click the "i" and scroll to block this number. Click it -- and that number is now history!
    Gosh.... I know I have several HUNDRED blocked numbers!
    You may wish to look into this? I know i LOVE it!!!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    To me the scams are very obvious. I guess if they try hundreds of people, someone will fall for it. Unfortunately, it’s probably the elderly that get taken advantage of most.

I have been blocking calls left and right as well. My wife needed therapy and the therapists had Florida, California, and Colorado zip code that I would normally block, but for a while there I didn't block so when the therapists called I needed to talk to them. It seems that one woman was calling me from different numbers and i am almost certain that it was the very same voice calling from the local exchange to fool me to think that it was a local call from a friend.

These callers never use their own phone number to call, they have even called me using my own phone number (with my mom's name o.O) on occasion. I tend to answer most calls but not the obvious spam ones. But if an 877 number calls you and it was your Dr. calling but you ignored the call, you missed an important call...

Boolit Master
    They wouldn't be doing it if it didn't pay off.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    I had 4 texts on Monday from a bank I've never done business with that I needed to text them back RIGHT away because they were locking out my account. Pretty neat trick considering the banks were closed for labor day. I looked up the area code which was in St. Paul MN but I'm sure it was just a forwarding number to India or some other third world hole.

Yeah. Too much spam for my liking.

Boolit Master
    In a nutshell the thief calls are the perfect reply to the idiots who think government can solve all problems. The government cannot even control thief calls like the constant extended car warranty calls.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

HA, my cell MARKS a good portion SPAM, but allows these calls to continue. If the cell phone company KNOWS these are spam calls, why don't they stop them?
    I've an area code on my cell that is MS based. I've never changed from moving 10 years ago. If I get a MS area code call, I DON'T answer, 100% spam. I have no new friends or family in MS. But they can always leave me a message if they change numbers..... And I get NO spam calls from the AR area code. Win.

Boolit Master
    Phone company doesn't block spam calls because they charge fees for them. Congress doesn't pass a law barring them because Congressmen and Congresswomen want the political contributions. Our representatives will deny it but they won't outlaw them. Political contributions should be called what they are " Bribing your elected representative". No elected official should be allowed to receive money from anyone that has more than $5000.00 in the bank.

“Do Not Disturb”, Allow Calls From Contact List and Favorites. Anyone not in or on your contact or favorites list is silenced you only see recents. Anyone who doesn’t leave a message is a insta block or just erased.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the heads up .

You would think with all this modern technology these scammers would be easy to back track and then electronically whack them out of existence ... so much for technology .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

A lot of the phone scammers are offshore, if you were in a country with no extradition treaties to the US doing this, you might feel pretty safe.

I know they make money off it, I've heard some LEOs speculate that organized crime is probably involved in it. The predictive calling program program, specifically.

Boolit Grand Master

I block the numbers although it will not do any good as they use spoof numbers to call from and just generate them at whim. Almost all of my calls are about extended warranty on the car. I started getting group texts to click a link for stuff. Never do it.

I've noticed a new trend on spam emails which all or mostly all end up in the spam folder. The email is from various places wanting me to confirm a subscription by clicking a link. I went to a couple of the places listed in the email and they are legitimate, where the link would good I'm sure is not good.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Cell companies don't want to block them, they are making money off you burning minutes! They have the tech to tell if it is a spoofed call.

"This is officer X with bla bla police dept. I have a warrant for your arrest..."

Come serve it in person! Warning, I am heavily armed. *click* as they start swearing at me LOL

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I am getting the usual "Hi its your local sheriff's charity, we want to send you a donation envelope so you can send us a donation.".
    I’ve received three of those same calls since January. My stock reply is
    I’d be happy to. I give them a fictitious PO Box # in a nearby town. They’re out 50 cents if they do send it.
    I chuckle all day afterwards.
    I’ve also started responding to credit card and other offers. As long as there’s a postage paid return envelope I mail it back full of ads from the insert that comes in the local newspaper.
    Last edited by Bmi48219; 09-11-2021 at 03:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    I had a coworker years ago that at his old job when the boss got any junk mail had a special way to fix it.
    If it was a post paid envlope his boss would have him bust up and box up a couple of cinder blocks attach the post paid envlope and send it back to wence it came. He never had to deal with the same idiots twice.

Boolit Master

I'm passing up deals on repaying my college loans(never had one) , warranty on my 2000 car, IRS is coming for me, all my credit cards have bogus charges and they'll take care of it as long as I give 'em the CC numbers, the popo in all 50 states need scholarship money for orphans,etc.
    Many different numbers come up as "potential scam" but ya can't block "potential scam" so I now just hit the answer button and hangup .
    But, yup, there is some sap that bites every now and again, sometimes folks even older than me, and the perps should be rounded up and sent to Afghanistan(of course they may already be there !)

Boolit Master
    If it's not someone in your contacts list (i.e., no name appears), just don't answer it. I haven't tried the easy blocking described above; I just silence the call and don't answer it. Most of the computer-generated calls only ring three or four times anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast