WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw blade target ideas?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Shooting from the hip changes things...LOL. I never considered that type of shooting fun.
    One of my thoughts revolves about my general slowness to react. On more than one occasion -- e.g., while deer hunting -- a non-deer critter came into my view, and by the time I got firearm (handgun) up and ready, it was gone... Some raise that oft' used saying, "Would you rather HIT a target with a low-recoil firearm; or, MISS the target with a heavily recoiling one?" Similarly, I've seen t.v. shooters knock a hand-gun out of a perp's hand at 70 yards, while both are running, at twilight, with a Detective Special 2" revolver! In my case, a 4" barreled Single Six .22 is the firearm.... Using airguns at camp with a deliberate -- no "quick-draw stuff" here firing; and/or using a Vaquero with WAX bullets surely humbles one's aspirations to become another Jerry Charles Miculek Jr.!
    Despite its "humbling" effect -- the "point and shoot" (as opposed to aim and shoot) with the airguns at camp is (rewarding) to me, fun!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    JimB.. I "know what you meant" . Kind of hard for any of us to convey mental pictures to words -- as in my initial plan, that second wire would be looped/secured about an upper saw tooth and secured to wire from tree to blade centre -- guaranteeing it will not be truly vertical and will (hopefully) deflect pellets hitting it to the ground. Many years ago to aid on one of my sons' science project -- I don't remember what for (???) -- but we wished to drill some holes in a circular saw blade, and it was more than a real challenge. Even making a dam with modeling clay to keep a pool of cutting oil -- the drill bits I had barely made a dimple in it... Hence -- unless blades have been made with softer steel and/or I've acquired better HSS bits... the wire wrapped will have to do...
    Thanks. If I make it to camp -- hopefully Saturday -- and play/try the sawblade -- God willing I'll post a picture or two.
    geo
    Next time you have that problem, you might try laying it on a lead block and using a good punch with a slightly angled flat face and a moderately heavy hammer.

Bill <----- has a lead block cast in an old GI mess kit and an 8# sledge with a short handle for such situations...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    One of my thoughts revolves about my general slowness to react. On more than one occasion -- e.g., while deer hunting -- a non-deer critter came into my view, and by the time I got firearm (handgun) up and ready, it was gone... Some raise that oft' used saying, "Would you rather HIT a target with a low-recoil firearm; or, MISS the target with a heavily recoiling one?" Similarly, I've seen t.v. shooters knock a hand-gun out of a perp's hand at 70 yards, while both are running, at twilight, with a Detective Special 2" revolver! In my case, a 4" barreled Single Six .22 is the firearm.... Using airguns at camp with a deliberate -- no "quick-draw stuff" here firing; and/or using a Vaquero with WAX bullets surely humbles one's aspirations to become another Jerry Charles Miculek Jr.!
    Despite its "humbling" effect -- the "point and shoot" (as opposed to aim and shoot) with the airguns at camp is (rewarding) to me, fun!
    geo
    I can understand that!!!

The first time, and only time, I tried "point shooting" was about 20 years ago when I took a CAS class from Evil Roy. It was daunting at first...me being more of a Bullseye and Three Position Rifle shooter. But it was surprising how quickly we improved as put more rounds downrange. He kept things "easy" with targets in close.

Have fun!!!

BTW, good to see you using airguns. I started into them seriously this year and love them. Sold my old RWS springer as it was too much work and am travelling the PCP highway. I am too old and out of shape to pump them up and went with an air tank.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I have two air rifle targets at my cabin. Most used is an extended doubled heavy copper wire wrapped around a sapling with a dangling string and hook to hang a soda or beer can chest height at the woods line edge. The other is a square aluminum griddle without the handle hanging to the left of it. It gives the youngters and new shooters a larger target and let's them know when hit. I'll ring one off it once in a while just to hear it. It forms a small dent from a .177 pellet or BB but has been there for about 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    I haven't tried it yet, but the next time I have a 20 lb. Propane tank that is out of date, I am going to cut the round bottom off, level with the bottom of the parallel sides.... I am then going to hang it out at 100 yards with a chain through the handle.... I would think that would make an awesome gong, should ring like a bell when shot with an airgun.... Should be a decent challenge for offhand....

Bob
    Not sure with an airgun, but center-fire and rimfire doesn't ring propane tanks, just punches through them. I would think that tin tanks won't "ring" like you're hoping.

I'm lucky, there is a hydrostatic testing facility nearby, I buy the "failures" for scrap value. Cut about twenty inches off top and bottom and hang them up for reactive targets.

They ring like the bells of Notre Dame when hit with anything from an air rifle up to 470 N.E. cast boolits.

Just a little louder and longer with the 470

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12