MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: are we having fun yet

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    The labradar chrono says that these bullets were touching 1,100 ft/sec velocity when I shot a ten shot string last week. Spread was 1059-1103.

The bullets weigh 172 grains, the powder charge is 15 grains H110, and the barrel is 2.25", gun weighs approximately 20oz and fitted with hogue bantam grips.

Is that recoil nipping on the heels of that 396 with 2400?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Even if you put the cylinder right in your knees, the blast doesn't hurt duck canvas pants. I wear them every day to work, and even weld splatter just kind of brushes off. Grinder sparks, no problem at all. About the only thing that hurts duck canvas is continual rubbing. After a couple years, mine get holes starting in the knees, but mine are double knee, so it's no worry. The first thing to go on mine are always the crotch. Duck canvas is what I like for shooting bags and such, as it is cheaper and possibly more durable than leather. It handles revolvers great.

In answer to your question, Yes. Except I am sure that it would bite the crap out of my knuckle. Reading the above post and from experience that I am gaining I can say that muzzle blast from high pressure rounds is much more unpleasant than the recoil, that and my knuckle getting chewed on.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd like to see the nite time fire ball from a hot load!!

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Do the big linebaugh loads make fireballs?

I shot a couple cylinders of hornaday 460 smith and Wesson ammunition from a 5 inch compensated x frame and the fire ball was delicious.

The guy who owns it told me he chronographed that load I shot, a 200 or 220grains xtp bullet @2000 ft/sec. He said those were light loads

In my hands it was very smooth and easy to shoot, very accurate and precise considering that was the first time I had ever shot something so ridiculously fun!

I can see how the concussion/incredibly intense sound pressure may cause fatigue/shell shock to set in after 50 to 75 rounds.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Banned

its not a physical thing for most charlie. Its a mental thing. Like i said ive watched a 18 year old 100 lb girl shoot 500s and giggle while she did. If you truely can master a 44 mag and shoot it well with full power loads all it would take is a few days to work up to it and id have you shooting full power 500s. It doesnt take a knuckle dragging heavyweight boxer or someone with the arms of arnold swartz****** to shoot a 500 or 475 or 454.

Mostly this bs comes from people who do and want you to be afraid so that they can claim there somehow tougher or better then you because they can. Or from people that have never even shot one load out of one of those because there to scared to even try. Good example was years ago i was in gander mountain looking at guns. Now keep in mind this was one day before deer season started. This is a tale of two idiots. The customer comes to the counter and is looking at guns. The salesman came over and they gun asked to see the tarrus raging bullet 454 that was there. First idiot says he wants a handgun because he wants to try handgun hunting tommarow because his buddy does and he has a 454 and said thats the gun to have. I about burst out laughing when the kid behind the counter told the guy "YOU DONT WANT ONE OF THEM!!!" told him his buddy shot one shot out of one and it broke his wrist. Now if you have ever shot a raging bull 454 youd know there as heavy as a rifle and are ported and not one bit harder to shoot then a 454 and more comfortable then many 44s. Guy insisted and bought the 454 and had them put on a a 4x scope and told him he needed it bore sighted because he didnt have time to sight it in. He bought two boxes of factory ammo and was all set for opening day. My guess is its either sitting in the back of his gun cabinet with less then a cylinder full of ammo ever shot out of it and he keeps it to impress his buddys. Or he traded it off for half what it was worth and is one of those that come on forums like this and say nobody needs that kind of power and you have to be a stupid ape to enjoy shooting them.

Also what some seem to leave out when there making claims like that is those big bores are really better for a recoil shy guy then a 44 mag. If your a hand loader (like id bet everyone here is) you can load down 500 with a 400 grain lfn at 900 fps and have actually less recoil then a 44 mag and at the same time have a load that will outperform the 44 on any big game. Even i dont shoot mine at full power all the time. Matter of fact i shoot and hunt with reduced loads more then full power. Sweet spot for me with the 500 has been a 450lfn at around 1050 and with the 475 at 400 lfn at about 1200 fps. Believe me neither of those loads will hurt you in any way. Matter of fact id rather shoot those loads through a bisley then factory ammo out of a smith 29.

There have been guns i shot that i have no want to shoot again. Kelly Brost that used to own Cast Performance Bullets had two of them. One was his encore in 458 lott shooting factory ammo and a year after i had my 4 inch 500 made kelly had a 4 inch 500 made on a standard blackhawk grip frame. That gun would hurt you. My Buddy has three id pass on also. First one is a bond derringer in 44 mag i shot one day at his house with 300s ahead of 22 grains of 110. It was like having stick of dynamite go off in your hand. The other two are 5.5 inch linebaughs one in 475max and one it 500max. Now comparing those two linebaughs to my standard ones is like comparing my 500 with a 357. They are absolute animals with full power loads. Even they didnt make me bleed or even make me sore the next day but they sure get your attention and i find myself making more sure its not going to hit me in the face then actually hitting what im shooting at.

Boolit Master
    A few years back, I got to shoot a .500 JH. It too had serious recoil, using, (if my faded memory is right,) Buffalo Bore ammo. As it was passed around, I was the only one who shot it without a glove. A few only shot 1-2 rounds. I shot a cylinder full. And I was hitting what I was aiming at. At the end of my cylinder, yes, the hammer had rubbed a thin layer of skin off the web, allowing a little blood to appear.
    Recoil can be handled, if a person understands it & knows how to properly shoot a handgun.

The arthritis in my wrists and hands puts a handgun like that completely out of my capabilities. I can comfortably shoot 357 mag and 45ACP. Anything beyond those leaves me with pain in my hands and wrists after a very few shots.
    I like my hands to be useful after a range session, so, no thanks.

Boolit Master
    I am not ashamed to admitt to being somewhat flinchy. There was a time when I was not and there are still many days when it is not an issue. And yes, it is most definitely a mental thing. And after a 15 year hiatus away from shooting I have been steadily improving

There is just something fun about launching a 50 cal. 475 grain (+/- 50 grains ) bullet at some unfortunate target. The low pressure heavy bullet plodding along to and through about any animal on the N.A. Continent just makes me smile. Loaded to subsonic levels they are fun to shoot loaded to max not so much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Iwsbull View Post
    There is just something fun about launching a 50 cal. 475 grain (+/- 50 grains ) bullet at some unfortunate target. The low pressure heavy bullet plodding along to and through about any animal on the N.A. Continent just makes me smile. Loaded to subsonic levels they are fun to shoot loaded to max not so much.
    yes sir!

Lloyd, you've got some big meat paws and forearms from the pic. I doubt you would have too much problem with recoil

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog941 View Post
    Lloyd, you've got some big meat paws and forearms from the pic. I doubt you would have too much problem with recoil
    Seems many of the famous pistoleros had really big hands. Elmer Keith and that Jordan fellow come to mind.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5762783.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	288788Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7f7440c0355942cecf6af7f88d452a0c--elmer-museum.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	288789
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 09-16-2021 at 11:34 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe the one hand. I'm pretty sure one of Elmer's hands was deformed by the fire he lived through as a kid. Elmer Keith was as normal sized as they come. I don't think Jeff Cooper was any giant. Bill Jordan was big. Wasn't he 6'7"?

That's just what happens when you abuse your hands every day. I'm a technician, and I have meat paws. I also can barely feel my finger tips my callous is so thick. I drop small things a lot. I'm pretty sure Lloyd was a lineman. Wires put your arms to the test.

Banned

Yup ive always had a physical job. Only desk was the last 15 minutes of the day doing my paper work. 65 now and am going nuts after this last surgery because i can do my 3 times a week weight lifting and my daily walk. 65 and if anything im stronger today then I was in my 30s. That said I will still bring up that day when we were out killing hogs one day and at the end of the day started to do some blasting and the property owners daughter was there. She was a 100lbs soaking wet and 16 years old. She shot our 500s and couldnt get enough and that was at full power. At least full power according to Johns data but Johns data for the 500 is real conservative.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12