Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone build a P80 pistol?

I bought one from Brownells a few years ago with a lower parts kit and magazine. Did the drilling and material removal on a mill and had it together in maybe two hours. It took almost another year to get an affordable slide, ($250.00 new and complete from RIA). It shoots great, more accurate than expected and so far totally reliable. Easiest roll your own gun there is.

MGB is your friend when building P80! Lots of info and expertise with him.

I build a PF45 in 10mm. Functions with my existing G20 slide. Made it to mate up to a MechTech 10mm carbine upper and get my pistol back! LOL. Some unexpected things along the way, but work the problems. If problems; Correct the parts, not the frame!

Boolit Master

You'd think that a P80 clone of a Glock would have a rail/slots the same as a Glock. And thinking that, you might go ahead and pick some of those great Olight lights that fit Glocks for when you build your P80s.

But if you thought that, and did it, you'd be wrong because they don't and you just wasted a bunch of money, you foolish boy!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

I've got all the parts now except the slide, slide parts kit, and trigger group. Oh, and an optic, which will be a Holosun 407C.

I lucked out and found an OEM Glock threaded barrel for $155 directly from Glock.

Slide will be a Norrso custom built slide with RMR cut and rear and forward serrations. No fancy cutouts or crazy designs. $300.

Also have all the tools I needed ordered and most are here.

The hardest part of the build is that Glock is putting all of it's parts into complete pistols so the supply of OEM parts has dried up. I wanted to use all OEM parts and it just isn't possible these days, unless you buy a complete Glock and strip it, which would be idiotic.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Got the Olive Drab frame in and really like the looks and feel of it. Will be using just a black slide with minimal machining. Don't really care for the skeletonized, race gun look.

Attachment 288942
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Got the holes drilled and the barrel channel cut out. Everything turned out perfect. Installed the slide lock and magazine release, and am just waiting on the trigger shoe to arrive in the mail and the lower will be complete. Very happy with it so far.

Attachment 288985

When you get it done, spend some time working the slide to slick things up a little. I watched a video of a factory guy making one and test firing it, he had two jams on the first magazine full, said this was normal until the gun slicked itself out, (no jams after). Mine ran smooth from it's first shot, and accuracy is actually better than I expected, even if it were a factory gun. It shoots better than my brother's S&W Shield.

Boolit Master

Got an unexpected bonus in my paycheck, so put $300 on my Amazon Chase card, then ordered the slide. Got about $20 in rewards points for that. Now down to just the slide parts and the optic.

If contemplating building a polymer 80 as others have mentioned, marinegunbuilder.com is a great resource to help. Depending on what you source out from slides, parts and how you customize your polymer 80 chances are, there will be absolutely no cost savings!

For me it is simply a hobby and I enjoy the process! I'm certainly not able to finish one in 30 minutes to attain the first time quality that marine gun builder talks about.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - "Thomas Jefferson"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
    If contemplating building a polymer 80 as others have mentioned, marinegunbuilder.com is a great resource to help. Depending on what you source out from slides, parts and how you customize your polymer 80 chances are, there will be absolutely no cost savings!

For me it is simply a hobby and I enjoy the process! I'm certainly not able to finish one in 30 minutes to attain the first time quality that marine gun builder talks about.
    Truth! I'll have almost $800 into mine, without the optic.

I bought the P80 kits because the government told me I shouldn't be allowed to have them. If I was to try and achieve the same goals in a firearm starting over, I would have just had my stock G23 slide milled and saved $600.

Boolit Master

Yes, mine took about 150 rounds to smooth out and be happy. Feeds & fires very nicely now.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Moderator Emeritus

I picked up one for a someday project. I happen to like 357 sig and decided I might just have to make one if I can't find a nice compact. It is cheaper to buy a finished gun but like others said, it might be fun and learn some things.

I learned how simple the Glock basic gun is, amazing.

Boolit Master

I know this is a bit off-topic for this thread, but I saw that a local shop has P80 pistols, factory complete and serial numbered (BGC transfer required) for $349. Are they a worthwhile gun at that price?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I know this is a bit off-topic for this thread, but I saw that a local shop has P80 pistols, factory complete and serial numbered (BGC transfer required) for $349. Are they a worthwhile gun at that price?
    I guess it depends on the quality of the parts. I went to the website and they have an MSRP of $550, but don't list what kind of components they use. If they use Glock components, then the $350 price tag is a steal and the pistol should be as good as a Glock. But, I have not heard anything about them.

Since Glock is not selling their parts due to trying to catch up to demand, I've had to pay more for aftermarket parts that I don't trust as much as OEM Glock parts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12