Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone build a P80 pistol?

Boolit Master

Anyone build a P80 pistol?

These are basically lower receivers that need work done in order to turn them into functional receivers. They sell for about $100. They come with a jig, necessary drill bits, and the rails.

You have to drill out the holes, cut off some tabs, and cut out a barrel channel. About 30 minutes worth of work.

Then you install a lower parts kit, install your complete slide assembly, and you have a fully functioning firearm. You can use all OEM Glock parts, or custom parts, or a combination.

Attachment 288390

Apparently, since they aren't considered firearms, you don't have to go through an FFL. The media calls them Ghost Guns.

Most people build them because they hate the stock Glock grip angle and shape, but love the reliability and simplicity, so they get a "Glock" with a "better" grip.

I had never had an issue with the stock Glock frame, so was never really attracted to them.

Then, I saw the Sig P320 FCU that lets you do the same thing as far as picking the caliber, grip shape, size, and configuration. I was going to build a P320, but decided to go with the Glock-based P80 build because of all of the extra Glock parts and magazines I had laying around. Plus, the P320 build was going to be around $900 when done. The Glock build will be around $600. Going for a G23 with custom slide and RMR capability with an OD frame.

Watched some videos on how to build the lower and it seemed very easy.

Anyone else build one of these?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Not the Pistol, but I have built a AR lower, and my buddy has built several. They seem to be pretty straight forward,

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    Not the Pistol, but I have built a AR lower, and my buddy has built several. They seem to be pretty straight forward,

What's the attraction of the 80% AR lowers? With the P80 builds, it's the improved grip design and different colors. Is it just because they are non-serialized and cheaper?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Mine was a gift, but I'd say a combination of making it myself and cost, color didn't matter, mine is black, and serialization wasn't a big deal at the time.

Bought a g17 P80 kit about a year ago, still waiting for the right rainy day. Also had a sig p250 grip and complete slide, So I bought an jsd fcu and now saving for the jig and lower parts kit.

Boolit Master
    IMHO this is all about sales. Just about anyone with a CNC mill can make receivers. But, there are pretty stiff regs on mfg of firearms. Result? Make 80% receivers. No regs to worry about. Just crank them out and make money.

The side benefit for many customers is the cost savings. For others it is one way to show a middle finger to the BATF. The criminals don't seem to mind the lack of serial numbers either as more of these 'ghost' guns are showing up on the street.

Then there are companies like SIG who have used the serial number reg and developed 'component' guns. I love their 'solution' to the problem. The bonus to me is they have the govt contract for service pistols. The ultimate joke on the US government, buying pistols that subvert the serial number laws.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    IMHO this is all about sales. Just about anyone with a CNC mill can make receivers. But, there are pretty stiff regs on mfg of firearms. Result? Make 80% receivers. No regs to worry about. Just crank them out and make money.
    That's not the Real Money though. They could give give the frames away and still make money. It's the barrels, slides and parts to finish that make the money. It looks like it's cheaper to buy a Glock than build one although sights and barrels might be better than stock. I'm not a glock guy and don't know the trim levels.

With all the shortages the only place that has all the parts at one time is the bay. Don't think you will save money though and legit resale will be zip.

Nice wrench, oops.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Where can you go to get the slides and internals to finish pistols? It is easy enough to find AR uppers (i haven"t looked hard) but i have not found any parts available for pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Where can you go to get the slides and internals to finish pistols? It is easy enough to find AR uppers (i haven"t looked hard) but i have not found any parts available for pistols.
    Just one of many places would be the Glock Store. Just search for "Glock Upper" or "Glock Slide" and you'll be swamped with places to buy parts. Also look up Marine Gun Builder if you get serious and want to do one of these.

You will not save any money and probably will spend more than buying a comparable handgun. But there's a certain satisfaction to doing it yourself.

You can never transfer your finished receiver to another person. In fact, once you start working it, it's not salable, legally. But who sells guns anyway?

Boolit Buddy
    I put together a full sized P80 “G17”. It’s a fun afternoon project and neat to say you made it yourself. I will say that the one I did is gen 3 style and is a bit snappier than my actual gen 4 G17. Not sure if they are still only gen 3 compatible or if they’ve updated them. I like the grip but prefer the shooting real Glock. It also tends to throw the empties at my forehead but I imagine that has more to do with the aftermarket slide and extractor than the P80 frame.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AlHunt View Post
    Just one of many places would be the Glock Store. Just search for "Glock Upper" or "Glock Slide" and you'll be swamped with places to buy parts. Also look up Marine Gun Builder if you get serious and want to do one of these.

You will not save any money and probably will spend more than buying a comparable handgun. But there's a certain satisfaction to doing it yourself.

You can never transfer your finished receiver to another person. In fact, once you start working it, it's not salable, legally. But who sells guns anyway?
    I agree that you’ll likely spend more than buying an off the shelf Glock but if you already have spare parts sitting around it can be a good way to use them.

Saying that it can’t be sold is not entirely true. It isn’t legal to build guns to sell without a manufacturer’s license but a home built firearm may be sold. The federal requirement is that they are engraved with identifying information prior to sale. Most guys will do essentially NFA style markings (first and last name, city and state, model, caliber, and serial etc). The P80 actually comes with a metal plate embedded in the lower rail, just like a real Glock, for serial engraving.

That said, some states have other requirements. Do your own homework prior to any build and especially any sale. Personally, mine are lifers. Not for sale

I saw one that guy finished with a dremel and it came out pretty good. But the guy just left the aluminum bare - no coating.

Boolit Grand Master

Several. Last was a Glock 10mm clone because i wanted a 10mm. Not too difficult but attention to detail is needed. Several good youtubes on how to do it. Most important is drilling the holes straight. Clamp both sides of the case or tape them to prevent movement and drill one side at a time. Mark where you want to remove plastic with a sharpie, start with a dremel easily and finish the fitting with a file.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master
    I have done two, a 19 and a Frankenstein 17 slide/19 lower. The first went together with ease and runs like a top. The second I used an aftermarket slide and have not had such an easy path. Jonp has it right on the need to drill the holes straight. Beg, borrow or buy a drill press if you can. Don't get wild with the Dremel either. Finish the removal of the excess material by hand using sand paper and a round or half round file. An extra hour or two spent doing it right beats ruining the frame by excessive grinding. There are several DYI videos on the internet.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 09-08-2021 at 09:29 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I signed onto the Marine Gun Builder site. Incredible wealth of information on how to do a build right.

The attraction of this for me is that I can build a mid-sized .40 S&W pistol with all the features I want, as time and money allow.

It's ironic that Washington state came out with a "ban" on "ghost guns" so retailers stopped selling them to WA residents. But, the WA law actually does not apply to the 80% lowers because they are not firearms as defined by the ATF. And, once they are completed with a slide and barrel, they meet all the requirements to be legal in WA.

But, retailers got scared and won't sell them. I have them shipped to my folk's place in Idaho.

An aluminum 80% 1911 frame would get my attention. I'm very fond of my 80% AR15s; that I BUILT to keep and bear but mostly because it's fun. As far as Glocks go(for me); a police trade in model 21 or 22 would be my pick.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

This is hopefully what my build will look like when I'm done...

Attachment 288422

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    An aluminum 80% 1911 frame would get my attention. I'm very fond of my 80% AR15s; that I BUILT to keep and bear but mostly because it's fun. As far as Glocks go(for me); a police trade in model 21 or 22 would be my pick.

Here you go...

https://uspatriotarmory.com/store/80-1911-c32393369

Attachment 288423

Thanks for the link, ENABLER!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I signed onto the Marine Gun Builder site. Incredible wealth of information on how to do a build right.

The attraction of this for me is that I can build a mid-sized .40 S&W pistol with all the features I want, as time and money allow.

It's ironic that Washington state came out with a "ban" on "ghost guns" so retailers stopped selling them to WA residents. But, the WA law actually does not apply to the 80% lowers because they are not firearms as defined by the ATF. And, once they are completed with a slide and barrel, they meet all the requirements to be legal in WA.

But, retailers got scared and won't sell them. I have them shipped to my folk's place in Idaho.
    2cd on Marine's channel.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast