Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: Used lubesizers

Used lubesizers

In another post I read about people buying used lubesizers cheap because nobody knew what they were. I bought one at a gun show for ten dollars (that was the asking price, I didn't argue), and I see that other people do the same.
    Not asking any questions here, just making a comment.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got several that I got at garage & estate sales. If they are Lyman or RCBS most parts are available with the exception of the Lyman 45. I've pieced several together from junkers. I set them up for one caliber and don't have to switch dies. Kinda fun rejuvenating them. I clean them inside and out and replace what parts are needed and paint as close as I can get to their original color. I have four set up for .452, .459, .357, and .30 cal.
    Went to a gun show a couple of weeks ago and ran across an RCBC Lube-A-Matic that was priced at $25. Hard to walk away, but my loading bench has no more space for another. Maybe I am cured?
    TF

I currently own about 15 sizers, and the only one purchased new was my first one, a Lyman 450, that I bought sometime around 1969 or 70. All the rest have been purchased used, and they run the gamut of Star, Magma/Star, Lyman, RCBS and Saeco. I've sent a couple of the Star sizers to Magma to have them reworked, but all the others worked when I bought them, and still do.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Finding a good one with an assortment of dies would be great. Not many guys cast in my neck of the woods, never seen a used one for sale. After having used my RCBS a few months for .38 and .44 revolver boolits I can say i wouldn't be without one now. Worth every penny.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I currently own about 15 sizers, and the only one purchased new was my first one, a Lyman 450, that I bought sometime around 1969 or 70. All the rest have been purchased used, and they run the gamut of Star, Magma/Star, Lyman, RCBS and Saeco. I've sent a couple of the Star sizers to Magma to have them reworked, but all the others worked when I bought them, and still do.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Glad I am not the only one.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    i just got a turret press, a trimmer, a powder drop (missing the tube), some 10lbs of nice lead, and a lyman 45 lube sizer (missing the handle bolt/pin) for 20 bucks. I gave most of it to a buddy who is active Army, and kept the lube sizer and lead. bought a shoulder bolt that sorta works, either gotta get a pin for it, maybe an E-clip, or i could grind one side on the head to clear the lubesizer cast body and use locking nuts on the outward side.

Boolit Grand Master
    Several years ago I found a forlorn looking grey 450 at a shop that specialized in selling off estate items. It lacked both wrenches, but at $10 or $15 it was easy to decide I needed it! My four first model Ideal sizers are waiting for me to decide what calibers to leave them in. Then there’s the Star I need to set up.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

Recently My old RCBS LAM gave me trouble, the thread on the collar the holds the die in the threads gave out and I was in need of another. I checked the price of a new one and they are over $200. A friend of mine had one that he had bought and never used and offered it to me for $50. It was a layman 450. I think the price was fair and bought it. Glad I did because the new ones are not available.

Boolit Master
    The Lyman 2021 catalog list the new 4500 Lube Sizer @ $273.50 no heater, size dies @ $ 38.50 , top punches @ $14.77. +tax and shipping. Spare rings= .29 each.

So if you find a used one for less than $50 your getting a good deal. Especially if it contains any dies or top punches. They really don’t go bad with use. And lube sticks like $6.00 each, make your own lube,not hard to do.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    so far i have got 3 lyman 450s i payed 20 for 2 of them nd 40 for one that lokst brnd new.one of them has alot of miles on it the pin in the front of the body is wornpretty bad the other 2 are in great shape after some new parts.all of them had a die in them.i got some nose punches along the way witbthem to. no better way to but one than used cheep.I eveing have a cheep pot i use to clen then in for the next one i find.i melt all the old lube i can out with a torch then boil them in the pot to get evey bit of the old lube out.Tip is you get alot of lube on top of the water in the pot just leave it cool till the lube hardends or you get a coat of lube when you take them out .

Boolit Bub
    I bought a Lyman 450 with about 6 dies and punches and a few sticks of lube for $80 at a gun show. All the dies were common sizes. At the prices I see used dies going for I think I did OK.

Boolit Buddy
    I keep four lube sizers set up for specific bullets and one for other calibers. Three are RCBS and one Lyman 4500. All were bought used and for under $50. I rebuilt them all and repainted a couple. They all use the same dies and top punches. I recently bought an old Cramer (Redding/Saeco) that is in need of care for $10, which I will rebuild next. I will probably buy another if it is in decent condition and cheep. I am retired and these are great projects that are easily completed and very inexpensive.

Boolit Master
    skeet1 my bought used RCBS LAM stripped the threads for the die nut. Called RCBS and they had me return it. A week or so later a new LAM II showed up at my door.