MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 44 special standard loads for hunting

44 special standard loads for hunting

I see many a thread about hunting with 44 special, but only with the skeeter or Keith loads or their equivalent. I never see mention made of using a standard special load for hunting anything other than small game. I’ve never taken game with a handgun, but I plan to. I don’t see any reason a standard loading would not suffice for deer, even elk or black bear.

How does a load such as 5 grains bullseye under a 240 grain bullet, or a Keith bullet do against game?

I have a ranchdog 432-265-RF that drops at 270 grains. With that bullet and 4.6 grains bullseye, it is a real nice thumping load but still in standard pressure ranges. And standard recoil range.

So, any thoughts on these loads or similar, for hunting? Do I really need to up the power level for game larger than deer?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A great deal depends upon what revolver you are shooting these in. In a strong Ruger Blackhawk or S&W N-frame there is no issue using loads which exceed the SAAMI MAP up to about 22,000 psi., attained with 6 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup with 250-grain bullet for about 900 fps. Fine game load at handgun range. The 5-grain Bullseye load with #429421 gets about 800-830 fps and is fine at short tree stand range within 25 yards or so. In a strong gun 16 grs. of #2400 or 17 grs IMR4227 will do 1000 fps from a 4" gun. Good load!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    one of the most extensive references ive read is from glen fryxell's practical experience hunting why handguns, fortunately he has shared what he knows with the world. this might answer a lot of your questions

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

Boolit Grand Master

I think a lot like you do. 44 specials should be 44 specials. No more, and no less.

That load you state, that must be what, 750 fps? I wouldn't mess with any hollow points in this range. For deer or black bear with a solid bullet, on land you don't mind tracking an animal 100 yards, have at it. Chances are it will die even closer than that, but it is not likely to leave all that impressive of a wound. You'd probably be ok for elk as well, I don't think you are going to be short on penetration. Realistically, you're probably looking at effectiveness in the ballpark of 327 federal. I have, and will again, hunt with 327 federal and 45 acp in this power level.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 09-07-2021 at 10:57 PM.

8.0 of power pistol under a 255 grain Keith chronograph 920 fps from a 4 5/8" new flattop within tier one pressure. I would think that would suffice for a lot of critters. It has shot well in every .44 special I have tried it in.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    A great deal depends upon what revolver you are shooting these in. In a strong Ruger Blackhawk or S&W N-frame there is no issue using loads which exceed the SAAMI MAP up to about 22,000 psi., attained with 6 grains of Bullseye or TiteGroup with 250-grain bullet for about 900 fps. Fine game load at handgun range. The 5-grain Bullseye load with #429421 gets about 800-830 fps and is fine at short tree stand range within 25 yards or so. In a strong gun 16 grs. of #2400 or 17 grs IMR4227 will do 1000 fps from a 4" gun. Good load!
    What Outpost75 said.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

So the general consensus is that 44 special in a standard loading is not suitable for hunting deer, other than at very close range?

What about the other load I mention, with the 270 grain bullet? Does that up the killing power any?

And for the record, I’m not opposed to the heavier loading, I’m just curious as to the usefulness of a standard loading.

Boolit Master

I was raised on the Principle of "Use enough Gun".
    So if I was hunting with a .44Spl, I'd use as heavy a load as the Revolver and/or I could handle. That being said, I agree with Outpost 75 on 4227 or 2400.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    So the general consensus is that 44 special in a standard loading is not suitable for hunting deer, other than at very close range?

What about the other load I mention, with the 270 grain bullet? Does that up the killing power any?

And for the record, I’m not opposed to the heavier loading, I’m just curious as to the usefulness of a standard loading.
    I don't think anyone said that. A Keith bullet at 750-800 fps would work just fine on deer and blackbear. It's not going to make huge holes, but penetration would be fine. Going to a 270 gr bullet won't do anything at all.

Well, outpost did suggest the 5 grains bullseye load as being 25 yards or so. I can hit out to 75 pretty easy.

I do plan to work into the heavier loadings. I’m interested in loads that are over the standard range but less than the skeeter load also. Anyone suggest a load or offer an article on that point?

I do plan to work into the heavier loadings. I’m interested in loads that are over the standard range but less than the skeeter load also. Anyone suggest a load or offer an article on that point?
    As stated above, you can use Power Pistol to equal the Skeeter load while staying within standard pressure levels. Brian Pearce has published loads in three levels that should get you what you want.

What pressure levels are you looking for?

Boolit Buddy
    Do a google search for Brian Pearce 44 special articles. The PDF on the Goodrich family site has three load levels and lots of loads in each. I have used several on tier one and two. If I need tier 3 loads I just use my 44 mag.
    Tony

Vendor Sponsor

44Special in a New Model Flattop Blackhawk platform is good to 25,000psi which is right up under the 44 magnum, you are bumping the lower level of the 44 magnum at this level of performance. VERY good performance on any game animal on the North American continent.

44 Special in the factory pressure loadings is bordering on cruel and inhumane treatment. WHY would you use such an anemic, underperforming caliber on any hunt? Killing pigs for slaughter at arms length yes. Dispatching a wounded animal at very close range yes. Taking a healthy deer, bear, elk, fill in the blank here, at 30 or 40 yards with a 44 Special loaded to 750fps? With all the much more suitable choices available to us in modern times? Unthinkable.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, outpost did suggest the 5 grains bullseye load as being 25 yards or so. I can hit out to 75 pretty easy.
    With a MV of 800 fps, you're looking at an estimated 750 fps at 75 yards. I don't think range is a factor at all with a loading such as this. I think 44 specials are pointless, but I'd hunt deer with one, no problem.

Boolit Buddy
    What tier loads are safe in a US firearms revolver?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    What tier loads are safe in a US firearms revolver?
    Pierce's article goes over that. Only 44 Special I have is a snub-nosed Bulldog. Tier one and two are safe. However, it is not recommended using tier two for an extended period of time..............due to accelerated wear.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    Mr. Bazoo- Remember that some states (mine for instance) have legal requirements for the energy a weapon must produce in order to legally use it for deer or elk. So you might want to calculate this information to determine if your load meets any such standards.

Interesting responses. Thanks all.

This state, anything centerfire is legal for deer.

I think elk and bear have minimums but I can’t recall for sure without the book. I don’t think 44 special is legal as the glass length is the determining factor. That part of the question is from a theoretical perspective since I’m not into hunting either, yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    I find the special to be rather special
    it is easier to shoot than the 44 mag
    it doesn't bust up your hand with harsh recoil
    with appropriate boolits it will do anything a mag will do
    as far as hunting deer goes
    all that said I own both and use a mag for boolits over 275 gr both are very accurate
    so you will never be wanting for 95% of your shooting needs and that is special
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast