Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 44 special standard loads for hunting

Boolit Buddy
    A Winchester factor Silvertips out of a Charter Arms 3 inch barreled Bull Dog worked to dispatch several in the 125 to 200 pound people. Just ask Son of Sam. Some of the shots went through auto glass. Most deer are in the same weight. Bullet placement is what counts. A 4 to 6 inch gives a lot more sight radius. This makes shooting accurate easier. Use what you can use well.
    Steve

I appreciate the responses. I am not opposed to heavier loadings, but I am curious as to the effectiveness of standard velocity loads; 750ish loads. In all my research in the special, I’ve seen gobs of people talk about the skeeter load or equivalent, but didn’t find any mention of using lesser loadings, with proper bullet design. I know a bullet with a large meplat is superior to a RN profile.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    44Special in a New Model Flattop Blackhawk platform is good to 25,000psi which is right up under the 44 magnum, you are bumping the lower level of the 44 magnum at this level of performance. VERY good performance on any game animal on the North American continent.

44 Special in the factory pressure loadings is bordering on cruel and inhumane treatment. WHY would you use such an anemic, underperforming caliber on any hunt? Killing pigs for slaughter at arms length yes. Dispatching a wounded animal at very close range yes. Taking a healthy deer, bear, elk, fill in the blank here, at 30 or 40 yards with a 44 Special loaded to 750fps? With all the much more suitable choices available to us in modern times? Unthinkable.
    yet 90% of the time, anyone says "can i use a .357 magnum for deer hunting", they are told to just get a 44 special loaded like a 44 special is supposed to be loaded, ie 246 to 250 grains at 800-1000 FPS,, and it will be a better experience.

So please, dont spout the 44 special loaded like a special as being superior at stopping deer, bear, or horses then the .357 magnum is, and then decry it as being "only fit to dispatch a mule with broken leg or a SQUIRREL with a head shot at muzzle contact range.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123