WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: First attempt shooting sixguns fast.

Boolit Master

First attempt shooting sixguns fast.

First time really trying to shoot my single-action pistols quickly. It's harder than it looks!

"Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Use your left thumb for the hammer and keep the gun on target with the right hand. It will be much smoother and more accurate, with lots less gun movement.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, at least you made some noise.

Watch some YouTube videos if you cannot get to a CAS club or match.
    Don Verna

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Always good to get some practice good shooting ! Fully single action!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Use your left thumb for the hammer and keep the gun on target with the right hand. It will be much smoother and more accurate, with lots less gun movement.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    That is pretty much how I do it, but I'm still not fast. I am simply too old and wobbly.

Banned
    Watching you makes all the misses in your typical cowboy movie shoot ‘em up much more believable. Thanks for saving an entire movie genre’s credibility!
    Last edited by Butzbach; 09-07-2021 at 07:35 PM.

Boolit Master

I am nick-naming this video "the Shadow". Yeah, don't drop you gun when cocking it. Watch a couple of cowboy action videos just to get the general idea - then practice what you see with no ammo in the gun. Front sight only when it come down to live fire. Not that you really needed any advise from another old guy . . .
    Last edited by square butte; 09-07-2021 at 09:41 AM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master
    Everybody was new at something, sometime. My first attempt to disassemble a 1911 would have fit right in a 3 Stooges short.
    Still, that's pretty poor shooting. However, the bright side is there's plenty of room for improvement. Nothing that a bit of attention to fundamentals and PRACTICE won't help with. Have fun.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Ill buck the trend. I really don’t think it was that bad. I’d say all the shots fell within a silhouette target. The ones that missed the paper hit the cardboard I believe. Looks like decent recoil control and grip. Just need to hone the technique. Course saying right off you don’t shoot them guns much is a primer for not spectacular performance, and considering that, decent.

I didn’t care for the intro, but to say you’re not competent is ridiculous.

Looks like you were just having fun. Yesterday I took a seldom used Ruger Security Six .38 special to the range. Nobody was near so I did a little shooting single handed with both the dominant hand and my other hand. Shot fast too. It was humbling but I can work on it but I am glad I did not film it! Keep on shooting!

Chris

Boolit Master

We all learn by doing.
    If you are going to cock with your gun hand ? I find it easier to just shoot one handed.
    The Cowboy Shooting way is to cock with the "support" hand thumb.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Thell Reed doesn't have a thing to worry about ... Thell makes fast draw and accurate shooting look so easy and we all know it's not . He has that God Given talent for it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Yeah, I should have studied videos before trying it. I went to the range with the intention of just shooting my .45 Colts for accuracy and to verify all was good. Just got a wild hair and decided to try point shooting to see how fast and accurate I was. I'm definitely infinitely faster and more accurate with an auto. I usually can do 5 shots in 3 seconds, in under 5" group. No way I could do that with a six gun.

I need to send the cylinder of the Ruger to DougGuy, since it is very picky about what boolits and seating depth will chamber. But, considering selling it and going to a revolver in .454 Casull/.45 Colt for my bear medicine big bore.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Does anyone rapid fire by holding the trigger down and quickly pulling the hammer back with your palm and letting it go, like in some of the old westerns? Does it even work?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Does anyone rapid fire by holding the trigger down and quickly pulling the hammer back with your palm and letting it go, like in some of the old westerns? Does it even work?
    My dad said he used to do that with his Ruger Single-Six. I've never tried it, though.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=square butte;5257651]I am nick-naming this video "the Shadow". Yeah, don't drop you gun when cocking it.. .[/uQUOTE]

Yeah, the biggest hindrance to speed was letting the gun drop so much. A little practice with dry fire and a couple practice trips to the range you’ll be knocking banditos off there feet with lightening fast speed.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Yeah, I should have studied videos before trying it. I went to the range with the intention of just shooting my .45 Colts for accuracy and to verify all was good. Just got a wild hair and decided to try point shooting to see how fast and accurate I was. I'm definitely infinitely faster and more accurate with an auto. I usually can do 5 shots in 3 seconds, in under 5" group. No way I could do that with a six gun.

I need to send the cylinder of the Ruger to DougGuy, since it is very picky about what boolits and seating depth will chamber. But, considering selling it and going to a revolver in .454 Casull/.45 Colt for my bear medicine big bore.
    Do not give up on the six gun!!!

Most people do not believe it, but a six gun will put 5 rounds on target faster than shooting a 1911. You can cock and be ready for the next shot faster than a 1911 can cycle and return to battery.

Once I started CAS, my interest in 1911's dropped off the map. I have two more 1911's to sell (my buddy is buying them) and they will be all gone. It is so pleasant not to have to pick up brass. Most of my pistols are revolvers and I really enjoy them.

Get your six guns looked at and enjoy them!!!
    Don Verna

Banned

Doesn’t seem very fast!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    You learn to do things by doing them, making necessary changes to get better. One thing to be remembered is that there was/is a great influence on those of us who shoot SA revolvers by all the Hollywood crap we have seen over the years. I don't shoot SA for speed nor do I anticipate a "shoot-out" at high noon - but as suggested by Fred - you will be surprised at how much faster and how much more control you will achieve with practice by cocking with you left thumb (if left handed, then the reverse). What? Shooting with two hands like a sissy? Say what you want - but in a shoot-out between 2 guys with SA revolvers - one shooting and cocking one handed and the other cocking with the left thumb . . . . my Pesos will be on the guy cocking with his left thumb as hisvshots will likely be faster and more controlled IMHO. And ss is said - "Dead men tell no tales" so when all is done - we'll all meet at the Long Branch and celebrate with the winner. LOL

Boolit Buddy
    I thought it was very good for your first try. Practice and muscle memory is the key.
    Enjoyed the video.