MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Load Data

Thread: How I rebuild my primers

Boolit Master

How I rebuild my primers

So this is how I do it. I've tried a lot of different methods and combinations. This works the best by far. Seems to be very reliable. Next step is shooting live ammo.

https://youtu.be/xTJ3HzTtxrU

I give credit to a fellow board member who reloads 22lr for giving me the idea to strip the material way from the paper. It makes a big difference.

The magic number is 9 caps.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Mr Sneaky You have done well. If you soak the cap strip for up to a min. The thin paper will come off easier. I usually strip off twenty or so at a time. Put ten or more in my percussion caps. If you use care you can pile up the dots on the knife blade as many as you want to use. Scrape them off directly into the primer cup. Beware this stuff is corrosive.
    n.h.schmidt

Boolit Buddy
    Well I guess that’s the next thing we’ll be making a run on in 2021.

Boolit Buddy
    Get 'em while they're still legal!

(Do they even MAKE toy cap guns anymore? Aren't they awfully, like, "microaggressive" and "colonialist" for our precious Millennial Snowflakes and their "safe spaces"???)

The video mentions the caps as "Legends made in Germany". Are these hard to find or where is the best source for these?

TIA...
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    They are hard to find already. The run has already started! I paid about $17 for a pack. In the before times they could be had for $3.

I got mine on Amazon.

Boolit Master
    I also wanted to add that in my testing I tried cutting out the caps with a hole punch and even tried using black powder on top. The best results were the ones I showed in the video. They gave the best flame and the most reliable.

Boolit Master
    Amazon says that they're not currently available - assuming that I'm looking at the correct item:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CLF4GJN...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

I recently bought more caps from "Civil War Stuff" (Strickland Enterprises) for $3.99 per 1200 caps (Plus Shipping). Decent people to order from as price is good and shipping for 10 packages is same as shipping for a single package. And ----- They are available. Took a week or two for each Order I made.

https://www.civilwarstuff.com/product/roll-caps/

Better choice than Amazon.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Amazon says that they're not currently available - assuming that I'm looking at the correct item:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CLF4GJN...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    They show available to me. I haven't tried the superball ones. I know the Legends work.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    I recently bought more caps from "Civil War Stuff" (Strickland Enterprises) for $3.99 per 1200 caps (Plus Shipping). Decent people to order from as price is good and shipping for 10 packages is same as shipping for a single package. And ----- They are available. Took a week or two for each Order I made.

https://www.civilwarstuff.com/product/roll-caps/

Better choice than Amazon.
    First time customers get a $5 off code that almost covers shipping. Decided to get some for "someday".

Boolit Grand Master
    Those paper caps are very corrosive.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Those paper caps are very corrosive.
    So is/was all the old surplus ammo many of us shot a metric crap-ton of in years past. Clean properly and promptly......no issue at all.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Banned
    Your Welcome:

Banned
    I hear that a spring loaded center punch works well for removing the dent from the primers.