Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: WTT/WTB Odds and ends...

Boolit Master

WTT/WTB Odds and ends...

Interested in trading, for a preference, but don't have a lot of good stuff available to trade, so may have to buy.

Project 1: first off, I need a couple rounds of 7mm Mauser brass or a dummy round to check the chamber of a new-to-me Mauser rifle marked Fabrica Armas Ovideo 1929. I believe it may be a 7mm Mauser, and want to check that. It won't chamber 30-06 brass. Research seems to make it a version of the 1893 Mauser.

Once I figure out what it's chambered for, I'll need a set of dies and more brass.

After that, I'll need a stock of some sort. It came with most of a military stock, but no handguard or hardware, and the stock is badly cracked. Someone "bubbaed"* the barrel to thread a .375 flash hider/compensator thingie on it. In which case I may just need a new barrel. I'd be interested in making a 9x57, or 9.3x57 if that is a reasonable change for this action.

It doesn't have sights either. Front of the receiver is drilled and tapped for a scope mount through the markings, most of which are defaced.

Project 2: I need a mil-spec stock & handguard for a Springfield 1903A3 National Ordinance action with a WWII barrel. It came with most of the hardware for the stock, so I think I have that covered, just need good wood. By "good" I mean functional and sturdy. Pretty is not necessary.

I could put a sporter stock on it, but I have a much nicer 1903 that has already been sporterized by a good gunsmith. I've also considered putting the NO action on my sporter, and the 1903 action on that WWII barrel with a mil-spec stock in full dress. I love the old military rifles.

It doesn't have the sights, or the mounting hardware for them. Looks like it was drilled for a scope on the front of the receiver, too. Back mount is a rectangular block with one hole drilled and tapped in the center. Think that means it takes the later rear sight, not the older ladder style.

Numrich Arms has most of what I need for the 03, but nothing much for the Mauser. Unfortunately, I can't afford much at the moment, so I'm trying to nickel and dime both projects as and when I can get stuff.

Bill

* Except that the flats on it are at least eyeball square to the sighting plane.

Boolit Buddy
    That flat on the rear could the base for the peep that belongs on the 03a3.

Boolit Master
    That's what I figured. I had an 03-A3 back in the 80's, but it was stolen with all my other long guns from my hold baggage when Uncle Sam sent me to Germany in late 1991. Haven't seen one since. My sporter 03 has a Redfield Peep sight on it, but I don't think it's original.

Banned

That Oviedo is almost certainly a 7x57 if it still has the original stepped barrel, although, I know of at least one in 8x57. If you're really unsure, get some cerrosafe and do a chamber cast and that will tell you a lot more than just test chambering things. The stuff isn't expensive and it's easy to do.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    That Oviedo is almost certainly a 7x57 if it still has the original stepped barrel, although, I know of at least one in 8x57. If you're really unsure, get some cerrosafe and do a chamber cast and that will tell you a lot more than just test chambering things. The stuff isn't expensive and it's easy to do.
    The barrel is stepped, and I will be doing a chamber cast at some point. I have a couple of pounds of Cerrosafe, just need the shop cleaned up enough that I can have fire in it, and access to my machine & other tools. Been working on that for some month, playing 3D Tetris with all the stuff I need to fit in there. I wouldn't mind finding it's chambered for something larger than 7mm Mauser, but it would be fine if it is 7mm, too. The only other Mauser I've ever owned was a 98 in 8mm from J.P. Sauer & Sohn, dated 1917. For a late war rifle, it was sweet!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    The barrel is stepped, and I will be doing a chamber cast at some point. I have a couple of pounds of Cerrosafe, just need the shop cleaned up enough that I can have fire in it, and access to my machine & other tools. Been working on that for some month, playing 3D Tetris with all the stuff I need to fit in there. I wouldn't mind finding it's chambered for something larger than 7mm Mauser, but it would be fine if it is 7mm, too. The only other Mauser I've ever owned was a 98 in 8mm from J.P. Sauer & Sohn, dated 1917. For a late war rifle, it was sweet!
    Both great cartridges. I'm sure there is an expert on Spanish Mausers somewhere, but I have one which is an 8x57 on the original barrel. so there were at least a few. You should be able to eyeball it and tell if it's that much bigger than a 7mm.

Kinda jealous, I really like small ring Mausers.

Boolit Bub
    I have 10 or 12 7mm Mauser cases; you are welcome to them. PM me with a mailing address.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beefan View Post
    I have 10 or 12 7mm Mauser cases; you are welcome to them. PM me with a mailing address.
    Done, and thank you!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Both great cartridges. I'm sure there is an expert on Spanish Mausers somewhere, but I have one which is an 8x57 on the original barrel. so there were at least a few. You should be able to eyeball it and tell if it's that much bigger than a 7mm.

Kinda jealous, I really like small ring Mausers.
    I'm planning on walking it back to the workshop once I get that cleaned up so I can get to all the machine and other tools, and start dropping the stems of drill bits into the muzzle until I find one that fits, and then convert that imperial number to decimal, until my Metric drill set has one that fits better. I have a couple of sets of the 115 piece sets of imported Imperial drills one one 12 piece set of metric drills. Something should fit well enough for me to figure it out.

Yes, 7mm is most likely, but there are exceptions, and as I said, there is that flash hider/compensator or whatever it is that is marked .375, which is a bit less than 10mm if it measures as stamped, and I can't tell the difference between 7mm & 8mm by eye. Not got the eyeballs calibrated in metric yet. I don't know if the Spanish were as interested in precision as the Germans, but if so, it will be a nice rifle. I'm not much of a hunter, though I like shooting paper & metal targets. I'm sure I can find something to do with it.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    I'm planning on walking it back to the workshop once I get that cleaned up so I can get to all the machine and other tools, and start dropping the stems of drill bits into the muzzle until I find one that fits, and then convert that imperial number to decimal, until my Metric drill set has one that fits better. I have a couple of sets of the 115 piece sets of imported Imperial drills one one 12 piece set of metric drills. Something should fit well enough for me to figure it out.

Yes, 7mm is most likely, but there are exceptions, and as I said, there is that flash hider/compensator or whatever it is that is marked .375, which is a bit less than 10mm if it measures as stamped, and I can't tell the difference between 7mm & 8mm by eye. Not got the eyeballs calibrated in metric yet. I don't know if the Spanish were as interested in precision as the Germans, but if so, it will be a nice rifle. I'm not much of a hunter, though I like shooting paper & metal targets. I'm sure I can find something to do with it.

Bill
    Got to the drill set last night, K drill fits pretty tightly in in the muzzle. .281" Just a tiny bit of rattle. Did not drop it down the barrel, and I wasn't sure I could get it out. Anything else can wait until I get the shop clean enough to melt the cerosafe.

I think we can close this thread. Thanks!