RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10mm Auto for bear defense?

Boolit Grand Master
    Going whitewater rafting? Go to the guide and say "I want the least effective flotation device that might keep me afloat, just the bare-bones minimum." "Here's your vest, 10MM of plastic foam."
    Last edited by rintinglen; 09-27-2021 at 09:59 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Going whitewater rafting? Go to the guide and say "I want the least effective flotation devise that might keep me afloat, just the bare-bones minimum." "Here's your vest, 10MM of plastic foam."
    memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

I would think penetration would be the most important . Reach the vitals or break the skull. A solid hard cast or full metal jacket 180 or 200 grain bullet from a 10mm at around 1200 FPS ought to do just fine. Granted I do not want to be the test monkey. I can shoot an auto faster with accuracy than I can with a revolver(although I am a revolver fan. USPSA competition taught me that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by david s View Post
    Fish Wildlife and Parks officer was pulled down off the culvert trap by the grizzly being released and killed by the officers 357
    If that’s the same story (and it sure looks like it) I saw recounted by Brian Pierce, the first four rounds, which were described only as “properly placed”, skipped off the bears skull. No. 5 went in the air (we’ll give a pass since he had a 400-lb bear chewing on him.) He put the last round in the neck and broke the bears spine, killing it.

It didn’t state what load, but I wouldn’t call it a ringing endorsement for the .357 as a bear gun.

If I ever frequent country where I might need to stop a charging 800-lb predator, I’ll be carrying a BAR (“Big-Assed Rifle”, though the other would be a viable option.)

Cast Hunter

An article for your reading enjoyment....

I was living in Alaska at the time of this event and know one of the guys present during the bear charge. I usually carried a .41 mag (Ruger Blackhawk) for bear protection, but eventually switched to a 10mm auto. I preferred the ability to have a quick follow up shot compared to a single action revolver. Of course it's easy to argue that a 12 ga or big bore rifle is more effective, but not always practical to carry and won't deploy as quickly when it's slung over your back while fishing. Everyone has to balance their own needs and comfort level. While running bear baits I would commonly carry a pump 12 ga or 458 SOCOM, but for hiking/fishing/bowhunting, it would be a pistol.

"Alaskan Stop Grizzly Bear Charge with Glock 10mm On Elmendorf-Richardson"
    https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/ala.../#axzz772jfr0P
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    If that’s the same story (and it sure looks like it) I saw recounted by Brian Pierce, the first four rounds, which were described only as “properly placed”, skipped off the bears skull. No. 5 went in the air (we’ll give a pass since he had a 400-lb bear chewing on him.) He put the last round in the neck and broke the bears spine, killing it.

It didn’t state what load, but I wouldn’t call it a ringing endorsement for the .357 as a bear gun.

If I ever frequent country where I might need to stop a charging 800-lb predator, I’ll be carrying a BAR (“Big-Assed Rifle”, though the other would be a viable option.)
    But what kind of bullets did he have in his pistol? Typical .357 law enforcement types used to carry 125JHP. If he fired similar bullets from a .44mag they probably would have performed the same.

Or, if the bullets hit at such a shallow angle, then even solids might not have worked, from any caliber.

That's the problem with a lot of these stories. The person shoots with a xxx pistol but no one lists what kind of bullets were used. Kind of important information.

I agree about the rifle Just glad I don't visit grizzly country. Black bears are bad enough for me

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    An article for your reading enjoyment....

I was living in Alaska at the time of this event and know one of the guys present during the bear charge. I usually carried a .41 mag (Ruger Blackhawk) for bear protection, but eventually switched to a 10mm auto. I preferred the ability to have a quick follow up shot compared to a single action revolver. Of course it's easy to argue that a 12 ga or big bore rifle is more effective, but not always practical to carry and won't deploy as quickly when it's slung over your back while fishing. Everyone has to balance their own needs and comfort level. While running bear baits I would commonly carry a pump 12 ga or 458 SOCOM, but for hiking/fishing/bowhunting, it would be a pistol.
    Bingo!

A lot of non-outdoorsy people seem to think that those who live and work in bear country don't need to use their hands for anything other than carrying a big-bore rifle or shotgun in the low-ready position.

Also, the single-action revolver is probably the worst style of pistol for animal attacks. The speed of a double-action revolver or an auto is much more effective.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Cuz I was born and bred in Aberta I amd duty bound to post this video.

https://youtube.com/shorts/oYAwiBU3OiQ?feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpmCuRCNF78

Ruger GP100 i9n .357mag hard cast 200gr pr 10MM with 200 gr FMJ

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Cuz I was born and bred in Aberta I amd duty bound to post this video.

https://youtube.com/shorts/oYAwiBU3OiQ?feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpmCuRCNF78

Ruger GP100 i9n .357mag hard cast 200gr pr 10MM with 200 gr FMJ

Take Care

Bob
    He just wants a bite of you.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

From the Kitimat, BC Royal Canadian Mounted Police Weekly Report

"
    Black bear scare
    On September 27, 2021, at 2:56 pm, Kitimat RCMP received a report of a black bear in the Kildala area. The complainant reported that there was a bear trying to get into her residence through an exhaust vent and was eating garbage outside her residence. Police attended and located the bear near Columbia Ave. and Yukon St. The bear got scared and ran up a tree. Police spoke to the complainant again who said the bear tried to get into her house first, possibly because she was baking and then got into the garbage outside. Police gave the woman a verbal warning for the unsecure garbage, and she said would remove it. No further police action was taken at this time."

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master
    I have yet to be obliged to shoot a bear. My closest and most hazardous encounter with a black bear came in August 2002, during which time I could hear him 10 yards away (CHUFF, CHUFF, CHUFF) and smell him ( their bowels loosen a bit when they gorge upon over-ripe wild berries) but could not see him in the berry briar tangle Marie and I were backing out of s-l-o-w-l-y. I was covering our retreat with a Redhawk x 44 Magnum, and my thoughts at the time were that the tackle brought along for this engagement felt a bit light-for-circumstances. Not long afterward, I purchased my CZ-550 Lux in 9.3 x 62, and you would be correct in assuming that those two events were related. That rifle, a Marlin 1895 in 45/70, or a Win 94 in 38/55 now go along on berry-picking forays in the local mountains. Our local bears are JERKS, most are progeny of pest bears removed from Yosemite, Kings Canyon, or Sequoia NPs from the 1940s to the mid-1980s and hauled to the San Bernardino NF. Thanks loads.

The 10mm Auto. The Norma-level loads (200 grain jacketed bullets @ 1200 FPS) can do BAD THINGS to Colt 1911-series receivers without some upgrades and reinforcements. And did. Load levels come in several categories--the Federal 10mm Lite (for the FBI types), a 180 grain JHP at 1030 FPS; a large number of loads by several makers that run 180 grain bullets in the 1125-1150 FPS range; the Winchester Silvertip's 175 grain STHP at 1225-1250 FPS, depending on barrel length; and the Norma-level loads as above. A few boutique loadings claim or attain heavier ballistics, but the Norma stuff and the boutique loads might shorten service life in Glocks and OEM Colts. For those, the Winchester Silvertip ZIP Code is about as high as I would run mine.

10mm fanbois claim the 10mm to be a magazine-fed 41 Magnum; 10mm detractors say it is no better than the 357 Magnum (as if that is a bad thing?) Using the Win STHPs, it is a mid-point between 357 and 41 Mags.

If I'm in bear country--I have a rifle. Black, brown, silver, or white. The End.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Have there been any studiesof the effectivenessof a rolled up newspaper swattingthe bear on the nose while yelling BAD BEAR over and over?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sadly, with the decline of the newspaper business, whacking a bear with one has become almost futile as the loss of advertising revenue has made the newspapers so thin they are no longer effective. Now, if you could find a 1976 Christmas Sunday LA Times, those things could stop a charging Rhinoceros.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    A 200 grain bullet at 1200 fps is an absolute joke compared to a magnum revolver.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    A 200 grain bullet at 1200 fps is an absolute joke compared to a magnum revolver.
    What if that 200 grains at 1200 is placed in a vital spot and the magnum revolver round hits in a non vital spot?

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    I guess it depends if you are the recipient or the giver. If you are the giver you better be able to shoot your hand cannon accurately, under stress, more than once in under a couple of seconds. If you can't you might find yourself in a wrestling match.

The good thing is Bears feel about the same way towards humans as you you do about bears when you meet each other. That is why John over in Oregon ignores them for the most part. Kind of why I prefer a loud radio or a robust conversation whith my walking buddies when we go fishing around here. I like to let Winne the Poo know I am about. I have seen more tails of Black Bears then noses.

2020 was the worse for bears around here due to a bad berry crop from all the rain we got. This year it was a better berry crop so less bears in town looking for lunch. Leave it out like the lady in the post above and you get them trying to get into houses/ In her case she got a warning from the RCMP about leaving garbage out in the yard and the bear got off Scot free aside from a climb up a tree.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Grand Master
    No dealings with the large, serious bruins--other than seeing a pawprint in frozen mud outside Hythe, AB in Oct. 2005 while deer & elk hunting. My size 13 Caribou Sorel's length just about matched the track's width. That CZ-550 over my shoulder felt all right, I'll tell you--5 x 286 grain Nosler Partitions of .366" diameter at 2400 FPS on deck brought a bit of comfort.

Closer to home, black bears are JERKS. I had dealings with them at work at the Sheriff's Office, once at a homicide scene with a surprise visit to the decedant's place of repose. He sauntered off after a beam from an aircraft landing light (upgrades to unit spotlights and alley lights) divided his attention. !Vamanos, oso!

A few years later, working midnights in the Cherry Valley area I got called to the weekly bear nuisance complaints at 2:30 A.M. on Monday mornings--trash day at a mobile home park built right up against the forest edge/brushlands. 1 to 4 of John Muir's "shaggy freebooters" (what an apt descriptor) would attempt to access the goodies boxes rolled out into the street overnight. The bears would sometimes run off when spotlights/alley lights/red & blue discos got directed toward them, sometime we had to herd them with our push bumpers toward the park's NW exit and the canyon from whence they came initially. One morning, purely by accident, I discovered a counter-measure while pushing a rather indignant bear toward the exit when my knee bumped against the P/A system mic, and the P/A made a nasty feedback sound as the mic button got jostled on and off. That bear took off like he got stung by a cattle prod. Bears REALLY didn't like that feedback sound, and it was used to good effect thereafter.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I think the 10mm makes sense for hunting hogs - where I live on the gulf coast it’s wet, slippery, and swampy. I’d rather have polymer than blued steel or stainless, if I somehow dropped my pistol in a muddy puddle, I think it would fare better than a revolver.

Has anyone seen the new XDM elite 3.8” in 10mm? Now that might be the better mousetrap. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorite View Post
    I think the 10mm makes sense for hunting hogs - where I live on the gulf coast it’s wet, slippery, and swampy. I’d rather have polymer than blued steel or stainless, if I somehow dropped my pistol in a muddy puddle, I think it would fare better than a revolver.

Has anyone seen the new XDM elite 3.8” in 10mm? Now that might be the better mousetrap. YMMV
    You will want a stainless slide on the pistol you choose if you have wet salty conditions. We have a guide up here who goes throufh a Glock in a season but then he does not have the time to maintain his pistol like you might and he is at it for days on end in the wettest of conditions.

Dropping a revolver in the mud would turn it into a rather sophisticated club. I good water rinsh might get it going again until you got it cleaned again. I am running a GP-100 in 10 MM this year for my runing about.

Take Care

Bob

Thanks Bob. I think a stainless slide would make sense, but I can’t find a 10mm with one, so I’m limited.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast