RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please be gentle, it’s my first time getting a custom made mold…..

Boolit Master

Please be gentle, it’s my first time getting a custom made mold…..

I hate to ask this question, cause it CAN be such a newbie question. But I’m asking it because I trust the opinions of this forum. So, I need to know what design/bullet for my 41 mag.

Purpose: Deer hunting out to 75yards, punching paper from 25-100, and ringing gongs and busting clays at 100yards.

Pistol:Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 7.5”, Ruger Blackhawk 4.75(ish)”. Both will be topped with a RMR or UltraDot

What I think I want: plainbase, WFN, 220-240grs.

I can live with a gas check, don’t know if I need it. My past BHs all loved the weight range stated. I think the old Lee 215gr TL SWC was one of their favorite bullets.

So getting back into 41s, and found one of my pistols that I have coveted for a long time, Bisley Blackhawk in 41 with 7.5” barrel. Now to find that Redhawk in 41! Just need a couple 5/6 cavities molds to make it all good. Would like to settle on just one design, but realize that it may take two to get both goals( hunting and practice) fulfilled.

What says you? If I had to give an idea of what I want, I would say a scaled down version of Lee’s 310gr WFN for the 44. I ran that bullet slow and fast in my SBH Hunter for years and it was amazing at all ranges in paper or animal.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Look no further than the NOE 411-237 WFN. It is more like a long wide flat nose. I think the col when seated in the crimp groove is 1.695”. I say I think because my notes aren’t close by, but it easily fits in my blackhawk.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

Wheelgun 1961, I was just looking at those on the site! Was thinking I don’t NEED a hollow point, but they do see, to work well.

I want to mount RDSs to mine, and I see you have a “tiny” mount from Jack on your Bisley. I like that, but want something to mount it closer to the frame. Even if I have to drill and tap the frame.

I have always been happy with Jack’s mounts. Some people favor a lower mount, but I don’t see much difference. I also cast the pictured mp hollow point, but the NOE bullet always seems to beat it out, however slightly, in the accuracy dept. Both of them kill just fine.

I have a MP 413-640 that drops a 200 to 218 gr GC boolit depending on what hp you pick. Also a MP 413-265 WFN GC drops a 258 to 270 gr boolit again hp size determines weight. The 265 with 19.6 gr of H110, bullet wt 262gr from a 4-5/8" BH runs 1,300 fps ave. Haven't had a chance to use either on a deer.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Lefty: It may be heavy for your needs but the Noe 411-251- WFN is a heck of a hunting bullet for the 41 magnums. Mine is two cavity one cut for gas check the other plain base. Gp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I have always been happy with Jack’s mounts. Some people favor a lower mount, but I don’t see much difference. I also cast the pictured mp hollow point, but the NOE bullet always seems to beat it out, however slightly, in the accuracy dept. Both of them kill just fine.
    For a reflex type RDS, I like a lower mount. For the UltraDot, it really doesn’t matter.

I went back a found some of my 41 notes, on loads and bullets and guns, and it’s was a SWC type that my BHs liked. Most like the NOE 237 PB.

I actually prefer the ultradots, especially for hunting. I have one on my favorite hunting revolver. It is just like your 7 1/2” bisley, except mine is 45 colt. I also just put one on my marlin 1894 in 45 colt.

Boolit Grand Master

Arsenal 41-220 RF. There's no reason you need two bullets to do what you want. This one will do both. It's what I shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up an Accurate Molds # 41-240V
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210906-063255_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	288320
    For my 5.5" Blackhawk and my Dan Wesson. I am starting to work up loads and the few I have shot are accurate so far.

Boolit Master

So far, really liking Arsenal’s 41-220 RF and their 41-220 SWC.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    So far, really liking Arsenal’s 41-220 RF and their 41-220 SWC.
    I have a large collection of 41 molds. Both of the above would be a fine choice. I have the RF from a old GB and while I don't have the SWC in 220gr, I do have a custom version I had Jared did for me, that is 202 gr. My Henry likes a shorter COAL to cycle reliably, and the Lee 195gr SWC cycled well and was accurate, but Lee doesn't make those in 6 cav, SO I had Jared make a 5 cav that was real close to the Lee design. The final design works great in my henry and is accurate too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Vendor Sponsor

A GC design will allow you to shoot a much softer alloy which would be great for hunting. A WFN-GC cast soft that you can scratch with a thumbnail, with soft lube, would be my 1st choice for a hunting boolit, with of course the biggest meplat I can get.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Bub
    carelesslove, here !

I only have 1 mold for my .41s - a SAECO 230 gr. SWC (plain base), but it is a sweet one! I got lucky at a gunshow, many years ago, here in my hometown. An older gentleman was selling off his .41 mold, handles, 0.410" lubersizer die, fitted top punches (all SAECO brand) and reloading dies and claimed to be "getting out of the .41 Magnum business". I made him a reasonable offer for the whole shooting match and he took me up on it.

Twenty+ years down the road, the only change I have made was to go to 0.411" on the sizing die - to fit the throats of my 2 - M57s. I have settled in on an alloy that runs ~6.5 on my SAECO tester, where 10 is linotype.

The mold - at purchase - was not even broken in - but, I have subsequently cast several thousand bullets, ranging from 226-231 gr. (depending on alloy) and never saw a reason to change. At 1000 fps and at 1200+, these bullets are stable and accurate. The ~20 gr. of additional bullet weight (over the standard 210gr.) was all out in front of the crimp groove, leaving plenty of room for powder.

Honestly, the only mold change I would consider would be an LBT WFN-PB at the same weight. Every time I try to justify the potential accuracy improvement in changing molds, my aging eyes remind me that they won't allow it.

I shoot these 230s at 1000 fps, 90+ percent of the time - at metal targets - and they deliver a satisfying "THUD", without excessive blast & recoil. At 1200 fps and higher, they simply explain why they are just about as effective as .44/240s, but with less recoil.

I don't think this SAECO mold is even in production anymore, but look around on this Forum and others. They probably can't command top dollar, due to the caliber, but they are worth it.

Then again, I have an LBT in .44 cal. / 260 gr. / .432" / WFN-PB that is all I need in .44. I feel certain that ACCURATE, or ARSENAL can duplicate this level of performance, but I have not tried their products.

Thanks, Tom "carelesslove" Love

Boolit Grand Master

Here is a sweetheart for practice , plinking and just general purpose :
    NOE 413 - 215 - WC PB (413432)
    Very accurate , hard hitting and can be loaded to SWC (general purpose) performance or
    loaded to WC (target) performance levels .
    It's about the only 41 cal. boolit I cast now days ... It's a real Winner of a design .
    www.noebulletmoulds.com check them out !

I'm sorry Elmer Keith ...although I like your 41 SWC design and grew up reading your works, I prefer the 413432 by NOE better .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    A GC design will allow you to shoot a much softer alloy which would be great for hunting. A WFN-GC cast soft that you can scratch with a thumbnail, with soft lube, would be my 1st choice for a hunting boolit, with of course the biggest meplat I can get.
    True Doug, and that’s what I’m looking for. Since I’m going to get a WC mold as well, I’m leaning toward GCs for the hunting bullet. I run my Lee C430-310-WFN soft and double lubed!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by carelesslove View Post
    carelesslove, here !

I only have 1 mold for my .41s - a SAECO 230 gr. SWC (plain base), but it is a sweet one! I got lucky at a gunshow, many years ago, here in my hometown. An older gentleman was selling off his .41 mold, handles, 0.410" lubersizer die, fitted top punches (all SAECO brand) and reloading dies and claimed to be "getting out of the .41 Magnum business". I made him a reasonable offer for the whole shooting match and he took me up on it.

Twenty+ years down the road, the only change I have made was to go to 0.411" on the sizing die - to fit the throats of my 2 - M57s. I have settled in on an alloy that runs ~6.5 on my SAECO tester, where 10 is linotype.

The mold - at purchase - was not even broken in - but, I have subsequently cast several thousand bullets, ranging from 226-231 gr. (depending on alloy) and never saw a reason to change. At 1000 fps and at 1200+, these bullets are stable and accurate. The ~20 gr. of additional bullet weight (over the standard 210gr.) was all out in front of the crimp groove, leaving plenty of room for powder.

Honestly, the only mold change I would consider would be an LBT WFN-PB at the same weight. Every time I try to justify the potential accuracy improvement in changing molds, my aging eyes remind me that they won't allow it.

I shoot these 230s at 1000 fps, 90+ percent of the time - at metal targets - and they deliver a satisfying "THUD", without excessive blast & recoil. At 1200 fps and higher, they simply explain why they are just about as effective as .44/240s, but with less recoil.

I don't think this SAECO mold is even in production anymore, but look around on this Forum and others. They probably can't command top dollar, due to the caliber, but they are worth it.

Then again, I have an LBT in .44 cal. / 260 gr. / .432" / WFN-PB that is all I need in .44. I feel certain that ACCURATE, or ARSENAL can duplicate this level of performance, but I have not tried their products.

Thanks, Tom "carelesslove" Love
    Tom, I will look for that mold. Sounds like a good one.
    Thank you for the tip.

Boolit Master

Thanks GP, and I don’t think it’s too heavy. Looking them today and liked the design.

Boolit Master
    I have no complaints with either of my 41 molds I have the RCBS 41-210 and mp 413640 but I only have lever action 41's and the 640 feeds a bit smoother.

Boolit Mold
    You probably couldn't go wrong by looking at LBT molds. After all, Veral invented the WFN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast