Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: 45lc oal?

Boolit Mold

45lc oal?

I have a a ruger talo 45LC bisley. OAL is 1.6, and Im getting 1.8 with a 300grn LFNGC from CPBC. Using 20grns of H110, with fed 155 primer. Dont have the gun handy, because its at my fathers but does the 1.8OAL gonna be an issue?

Banned

If the cylinder measures 1.60 and the reload measures 1.80 what do you think? I have the same gun and I shoot the Lee 300 grain gas checked bullet from mine with no problem.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by lymanl3 View Post
    I have a a ruger talo 45LC bisley. OAL is 1.6, and Im getting 1.8 with a 300grn LFNGC from CPBC. Using 20grns of H110, with fed 155 primer. Dont have the gun handy, because its at my fathers but does the 1.8OAL gonna be an issue?
    If your gun has a THREE digit prefix in the serial number, you already got an issue with 20gr of H110. That would make it a medium frame gun, rated only to 45ACP+P pressure of 23,000psi, these medium framed guns are NOT SAFE with the 30,000psi Ruger Only loads.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    Its a bisley super blackhawk. Also, I get the cylinder wouldnt turn if they were too long but how will this affect my accuracy. Pressure shouldnt be affected much by increasing space in the case due to not increasing powrder. Most manual data shows OAL as 1.6, and Ive always loaded to manual data and this is the first time Ive had a load exceed manual OAL.

Vendor Sponsor

Pressure shouldnt be affected much by increasing space in the case due to not increasing powrder.
    I disagree. You will have very noticeable differences in pressure with even small changes in case volume.

I looked at the boolit at grafs but could not find any data on the boolit itself, i.e. length overall, distance from crimp groove to base, crimp groove to nose. Unless you have load data specific to this boolit and it's resulting COA when seated to the crimp groove, you will have to extrapolate data from another 300gr load which most would sit a LOT deeper in the case than your LFNGC. You have to work with the seating depth of the BASE of the boolit when doing this, not COA. You can't just arbitrarily grab a data sheet for a random 300gr boolit and use it without modifying the parameters to suit your application.

I find it rather odd that someone would make a mold for a boolit which would exceed the length of a Ruger cylinder when assembled to the crimp groove. Something is definitely amiss in your measuring or your seating of the boolit. New Model Blackhawk large frame cyl chamber length is 1.703" not counting the rim. The gap at the rear of the cylinder is typically .060" for a 45 caliber revolver, so you would have 1.763" as a maximum coa that would fit in the cylinder and allow it to turn.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 09-06-2021 at 06:41 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Is your 300 gr bullet sold as .452” diameter or .459”?

I think you might have bought the long nose .459” rifle bullet.

Measure it with your micrometer. See the two different bullets at Grafs the handgun bullet is .452” and weighs 265gr. Has a slightly shorter nose.

https://www.grafs.com/cast-performance

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    Is your 300 gr bullet sold as .452” diameter or .459”?

I think you might have bought the long nose .459” rifle bullet.

Measure it with your micrometer. See the two different bullets at Grafs the handgun bullet is .452” and weighs 265gr. Has a slightly shorter nose.

https://www.grafs.com/cast-performance

Bullet is .452, labeled and confirmed with micrometer. Length of boolit is 0.805.
    Load data came from CPBC directly with the understanding this is a Bisley, super blackhawk.

I trust the charge, just thrown off by the OAL of 1.8.
    Last edited by lymanl3; 09-06-2021 at 08:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    I always seat the .45 Colt bullets to the crimp groove. I don't worry about OAL. If not seated to the crimp groove, the recoil WILL unseat them.

Vendor Sponsor

Bullet is .452, labeled and confirmed with micrometer. Length of boolit is 0.805.
    Load data came from CPBC directly with the understanding this is a Bisley, super blackhawk.

I trust the charge, just thrown off by the OAL of 1.8.
    That boolit shows the nose is .410" with a .310" meplat, 45 Colt brass is 1.285" + .410" = 1.695" in my book. Are you seating to the crimp groove or to one of the lube grooves?

Boolit Grand Master

When dealing with heavy loads and revolvers ... seat the boolit to the crimp groove and put a nice roll crimp , on the heavy side , to get that slow burning powder completely burned .
    The bullet crimp groove determines OAL not the book ... crimping into the crimp groove is more important than a book OAL ...that's just a number and will not secure the boolit in place .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I always seat the .45 Colt bullets to the crimp groove. I don't worry about OAL. If not seated to the crimp groove, the recoil WILL unseat them.
    LIKE !
    I agree with Froogal 100% .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    That boolit shows the nose is .410" with a .310" meplat, 45 Colt brass is 1.285" + .410" = 1.695" in my book. Are you seating to the crimp groove or to one of the lube grooves?

You are correct, and im an absolute moron. I thought it was 1.8, but remeasured and its 1.685. My apologies fellas... I crimped to the last groove, Im good! I keep trying to upload pics but cannot??

Vendor Sponsor

You can post pics after you get 25 or 30 posts.

Also, since you are new to the forum, welcome to the forum, we don't know how much reloading experience you have, but a note about H110 is always in order for anyone new to using it. This powder likes a high case density, 78% should be minimum, so do not download H110 below the published minimum starting weight.

One other note I always tell folks, don't use a fast powder under a heavy boolit and try to make magnum velocity with it. Unique is the universally accepted go to powder for the 45 Colt, *with 255 - 270 gr boolits* you run out of headroom real quick with 300gr and heavier. Stick to the slower powders for heavy boolits. H110, W296 (same powder, made in the same plant, H110 is badged for Hodgdon, W296 for Winchester) 2400, AA#9, etc.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 09-06-2021 at 04:11 PM.

Look at this post:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post4847843

OAL will entirely depend upon cylinder length & cylinder-throat dimensions.

Case in point:
    - My 3-Screw full-sizeBlackhawk has a cylinder length of 1.75" (so 1.8" is out right off the bat)
    - With the RCBS 45-270 SAA sized 0.452" (and the cylinder reamed to 0.4525"), the max OAL before hanging up in the throat is 1.66"

Bottom line: You need the revolver in hand to find out

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    - With the RCBS 45-270 SAA sized 0.452" (and the cylinder reamed to 0.4525"), the max OAL before hanging up in the throat is 1.66"
    Heh, how can a .452" hang up in a .4525" throat? It's mathematically pretty hard to do. Your .452" boolit is bigger than .4525" at some point.

Tis puzzlement, to be sure.

I went back and pin-gauged the cylinders just now: .452 passes; .453 does not
    Measured the (Lee) sized bullets: 452(-) .... Yet they don't pass.
    (Imagine a Ruger cylinder that hasn't been reamed)

All the more reason to have actual "system of systems" in hand before turning the ignition key

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman13 ,
    I didn't realize you were new ... Welcome to the Forum !
    You're NOT a moron just possibly new to reloading ... we were all new at one time and there's a lot to learn . Don't be afraid to ask questions .
    Load Safe ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

You're NOT a moron just possibly new to reloading
    ... we were all new at one time.....
    And just look at how far the
    rest of us morons have come !

Boolit Mold
    Haha, Im not new to reloading. Just goes to show, never get in a hurry and always load while alert. It was a late night and had a brain fart. I typically load 480 ruger and 44 mag. Only really tinkered with CPBC and H110. Getting away from the bourbon and back to wheelers.