Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Any dove hunters?

Boolit Master

Any dove hunters?

Both sons, grandsons and myself got limits yesterday with shells I loaded. Three shooting 12s, one grandson and myself shooting 20s. There was a 16 yr old young lady that waxed ‘em there too. Getting old though, took me 36 shells to pickup 15.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

I just finished up processing my bear. I'm considering going out in the morning for dove. I've got basic 12 gauge #8, but I don't have any smaller shot for anything else. I'd like to use my muzzleloader, but I only have #5 and #6 lead. I do have a small container of reject bismuth shot I've been eyeing, which is about #7.

Boolit Master
    I've got plenty of small shot but we can't hunt doves here! Another reason to leave this state!

Boolit Master

Been waiting here in KY. Everything is still green and the silage corn is too green to cut yet. Not many birds yet but I'm anxiously waiting. Ida may have delayed or messed up the migration. Heck, last week, I had a mating pair out at the bird feeder. Those will be some small doves during the season if they survive. Bring 'em on./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Most fun a man can haveWe were in Ohio a few years back bowhunting and there were thousands in cornfields we had permission to hunt. If we’d had fatter wallets we would have bought shotguns up there and pounded them. The locals said no one cared about it up there.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

As already stated, we have no season for them here. Bummer! Might have to visit my niece over in Ohio.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    As already stated, we have no season for them here. Bummer! Might have to visit my niece over in Ohio.
    Really? No dove hunting? Never heard that before.

When I was younger, in the Delta we'd scout for dove holes for a week or so beforehand, and try to find a "legally baited" field. Some of y'all will know what I mean. And limit out by 8:00 am.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

I'm going dove hunting on the 25th, was supposed to go on the 4th but covid got in the way with some of the other hunters. I've never limited out and most of the dove are safe as I'm not a very good wing shooter. It's a good reason to get out of the house.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

There's just something about Dove season with me. Starting in California in the early 70's getting out of the big city and making a quick drive to the Salton Sea to hunt the Tule beds in the marsh areas. Later in the 70's moving to Arizona to hunt along the Colorado River between Ft. Mohave and Needles. The cotton fields used to really bring them in. Later, I'd hunt the stock tanks located in the then empty Golden Valley.
    Arizona dove seemed smaller than the Texas dove I'v hunted annually around Sweetwater and San Angelo. The Arizona dove were high flying and super fast requiring high base 7 1/2 that could wear you out after a couple boxes. Out West after a long hot summer the first hunting season was dove, And every year I could hardly wait.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Grand Master

I've been hosting a hunt for several years now. Usually about 16-18 of my friends, their families and my family.

I usually plant Sunflowers but it was too wet back in the Spring so we hunted over Wheat this year. It wasn't the best hunt ever but was very good. Several of us got limits and everyone got to do some shooting.

We usually start the afternoon before opening day with some skeet shooting and a cookout at my house and then another cookout with adult beverages back at my house after the mornings hunt. But due to Covid round 2 we had a food truck come to the Dove field this year. It worked out well.
    Last edited by lightman; 09-07-2021 at 09:40 AM.

Boolit Master
    Here in my area of Indiana the dove population is way down. All bird populations are down. Some sickness has been killing birds and DNR even asked people to not feed the birds so the didn't get in large groups and pass the sickness.

Boolit Master

Food truck! Man that’s high on the Arkansas hog! Sounds like fun.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    I was prepared to go Saturday . Had my little Parker VH 28 in a leather case and my Parker DHE 20 with a couple boxes of shells for each . However I went deer hunting Saturday evening , we had an early antlerless gun season this year . I must be getting old , Sunday morning I woke up at 5 AM and was going to go sit a stand again but was stiff and sore all over after taking my climber thirty feet up the tree and down Saturday . So I stayed on the couch Sunday and didn’t try dove in the afternoon. Did the same today as well .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines