WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hummingbird epiphany

Boolit Grand Master
    I feed mine a saturated solution of sugar/water. Can't dissolve any more sugar in the jug, it just collects on the bottom. Probably why my hummers seem a bit "chunky"

Boolit Buddy
    I had an epiphany too. I loved watching them and marveled at how the other birds flew off when I showed up but they buzz around fearlessly. Then I figured out that they have no reason to fear any critter they can see, they're at least twice as fast as anything chasing them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    You must be awwwful fast on the draw ifffins you catch hummingbirds by the tail

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    If you can put salt on their tail, catching them is easy.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Ar a young age I actually went outdoors with a white Tupperware salt shaker in pursuit of birds. I was a bit gullible in my single digit years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by salty dog View Post
    they buzz around fearlessly.
    Once they get used to a certain feeder jar, you can hold it and they'll come up to it too.

If I wear a red ball cap the same color as their feeders, they'll come right up, check it out, and and test it.
    It's cool, you can feel and hear their wings fluttering.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Do you ever add anything to the water besides sugar? Do the sell things maybe with vitamins and minerals added?

Had a yellow Northrup- King cap with a Red NK on it. Standing knee deep is a high mountain stream and have one hovering above the bill is a unique experience. They drove me nuts buzzing it.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

They must be on the move, for a months I had two to three birds on two feeders, but now they are at least six, and they seem to active all day long. Had to refill the feeders twice this week, so there must be more than I can see at one time.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Camping a few weeks ago I happened to spot two in the wild. As I watched them I realized I never spotted them no where near a house.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    They must be on the move, for a months I had two to three birds on two feeders, but now they are at least six, and they seem to active all day long. Had to refill the feeders twice this week, so there must be more than I can see at one time.
    It was getting to where I had to refill our feeders almost daily. There was always a mess of sugar water on the ground below it. At first I thought it was the wind blowing the feeder around and sloshing the sugar water out of it. Then one night, while letting our two mini doxies out for their post midnight potty break, i saw the culprits. There was two or three bats attacking the feeders, but I am not sure how much they were able to drink, but they sloshed the feeder enough that it was empty the next morning. I would never have thought that could happen.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by coloraydo View Post
    It was getting to where I had to refill our feeders almost daily. There was always a mess of sugar water on the ground below it. At first I thought it was the wind blowing the feeder around and sloshing the sugar water out of it. Then one night, while letting our two mini doxies out for their post midnight potty break, i saw the culprits. There was two or three bats attacking the feeders, but I am not sure how much they were able to drink, but they sloshed the feeder enough that it was empty the next morning. I would never have thought that could happen.
    I first used the bottle type feeders, and due to the temps, they would leak all the time, giving me an ant problem. I bought the dish type and the leaking stopped, as well as the random bugs that would find their way into the other feeders. Sometimes the wind gets them rocking pretty good, but have yet to see any spills, so either the lid is sealed good or maybe they just don't splash up enough.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    four cups of tap water, microwave for 5 minutes, add and stir until dissolved 1 cup sugar, cool and serve
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Do you ever add anything to the water besides sugar? Do the sell things maybe with vitamins and minerals added?
    I don't add anything else. My feeder has an inverted bottle with the base having the "flower" openings. One cup of oiling water mixed 1/4 cup of sugar usually lasts a few days. I will get a couple of ants every once in awhile. I did have a fat one who guarded it but haven't seen that one in awhile. Was actually comical to watch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12