Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Best use for two lubrisizers

Boolit Master

Best use for two lubrisizers

I picked up an older Lyman 450 at an estate sale last year. I' not done anything with it as yet, as I can't figure out the best way to use it. There are a couple of options, I could set it up with a different lube, I could set it up caliber/bullet specific. I could modify the body (cut off the depth stop bolster) and use it as a push through machine to size prior to applying 45-45-10 or size after powder coat. If you had a second lubrisizer how would you use it?

Boolit Master
    Caliber specific or lube type specific.

Boolit Buddy

I have several lubersizers. One is setup for .432 and carnuba red, another with black powder lube that I switch between .454 and .375. And another one setup for .401 with Magma green.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I have two - one set up with Emmerts modified for BP and pistol and one for rifle/pistol high power. That one has Ben's Red in it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I'd set one up with the high end lube I use for rifle boolits.
    The other with my home made stuff for slow speed handgun ammo.

That'd keep me from having to clean out my one lube/sizer when I switched over from handgun to rifle dies.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    I actually have three lubrisizers; one RCBS Lubamatic that is filled with FWFL, and two Lyman 450's one with BP lube and the other is waiting for when I want something other than FWFL.

The RCBS I got off ebay back when things went reasonable and I was just starting out. The gray 450 I got on purpose at a gun show for $20. The orange one with the heater and new RCBS style handle I got at an estate auction for $7.50, the starting bid: no one else had any idea what it was.

Robert

Moderator Emeritus

I have three, LAM 1, LY 450 and Star. The star is for 38's, the other two get interchanged for what I need. I often cast several bullets at a time doe to need. It's great to run some 32's in one and switch the chair over 12" and lube 7mm's.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    If you regularly use two grease lubes I would go with separate lubes. Changing lube is more of a chore than changing sizers, and it takes forever to completely use up lube that is left in the sizer when changing over. Then there is the chore of getting old lube out of the sizer with hot water before loading the new lube if you decide to go that route.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have 5, set up for different calibers, and one for different lube. I bid fifties dollars on a box of "miscellaneous reloading equipment" and there were three in there, a Lachmiller, and RCBS and another 450, of which I already had two.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 set up both lam1’s as I prefer them over the 2’s. One for pistol lube the other for rifle lube and higher pressure loads. I typically have another sizer or two I’ve picked up when the price was right. I have an extra lam2 now. I’ll be teaching a friend casting soon and I’ll have a reasonable sizer for him if he chooses to go all in.

Boolit Master
    There can be many different uses for two lubesizers, depending on your needs. For myself, I use only FWFL. 90 percent of my shooting is the RCBS 7mm 145 Sil.
    This is a bore rider but as it drops from the mold the nose is too large to enter the bore. So
    I set up two sizers on the bench and size the body with one and the nose with the other.

Boolit Grand Master

Changing dies and top punches is easy. Changing lube is a chore. So I’ve set up sizers with the different lubes I use. After years of horse trading and too good to pass up deals, I have more than I need for this purpose.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    Have several and most are just set up for one size boolit.

Boolit Grand Master
    I find it’s easier to swap out sizers than dies and (especially) lubes. I would suggest that with two 450s, you might set one up with a modern hard lube like Carnauba Red and the other with a more traditional lube like the old NRA 50/50 ALOX and beeswax lube. More presses -> more options.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I use mine for .38 & .44 revolver boolits. And I use Simple Lube from the sticky in the lube section. No big deal changing sizers and I melt the lube in a pyrex beaker and fill it that way. Conventional lube works in my wheel guns where tumble lube did not.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Moderator Emeritus

I am not a fan of the design of the 450.

If the Ram is sloppy, which is a result of heavy use (due to the design of linkage), then it'll never be a reliable "In-Out" lube-sizer for rifle boolits.
    I'd suggest to make it into a "push through" sizer, as you mentioned in your question.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Changing lubes is a lot easier with a heat gun to let it run out the bottom. About $25 bucks.
    The best push through sizer I has seen is an upside down mounted Lee C press the details are on YouTube. If I come across a used one again that is what I'm going to to with it. Mount the whole thing on a piece of 3/4 plywood and put it waway when not using it.

Boolit Man
    Funny this thread came up. I just given another Star Lubesizer this morning, along with 100 pounds of lead and a big bag of 3006 brass. It was given to me by my mentor, who just decided to liquidate all his flooded gear after getting 5 feet of water in his basement workshop thanks to the torrential rain we got after the hurricane last week. Two of my molds got fished out of the muck too, and I spent a few hours cleaning them this afternoon.

I'd never heard such sadness in the old man's voice till he called and told me what happened. He's a good guy, and has been helping me in my casting and reloading for almost 20 years.

As previously posted, it's much easier to change dies than to change lube.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Two lube sizes? I never thought of that. Great idea. I shoot 45 colt and 38 spl more than anything and that would be really handy. I have an RCBS model and love it. Think I'll start watching for another one. Thanks for the idea.