Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What, no Spam thread!!???

What, no Spam thread!!???

At least I couldn't find one.

Mods, if one exists please merge this with it.

For years I wouldn't touch it, but I would make and eat southern BBQ and that includes pork shoulder aka butt aka picnic. Then I got to reading about Spam and that it was made from butt. That made it OK, before that I thought it was made from parts no one would ever eat if it wasn't ground up. Moving on... I can find Spam in the supermarket but they only have a few types, the Spam website shows many more and one is smoke. That got me thinking so I smoked a can. That was pretty good. So I would fill the smoker with it (20 some odd), smoke them and put them in the freezer. Life was good.

So yesterday I got to thinkin' and that can be dangerous, but that wasn't the case yesterday. I've had a hankerin' for smoked spam, but for me to smoke a mess of it I need 20 some odd cans of it to load the smoker as I already mentioned. I won't simply smoke a few cans. But I have Wrights liquid smoke, and I have Spam in the cupboard. So I sliced a can of spam 1/8" - 3/16" thick then got a container to refrigerate the slices in. My plan was to use a medicine dropper and put smoke on the slices, giving the smoke time to soak in. I started with 2 droops and worked up to 4, but I don't think 5 would be too many. The mechanics of it... put 2 drops on one slice and lay it in the container, drops down. Put smoke droplets on the side that's up. Lay another slice on that. More smoke droplets and more slices until you can't go any higher. The top slices get a few drops and spread them out. My container allowed for 2 stacks. Maybe they can be used sooner, but I left them overnight for the smoke to do it's thing and fried them this morning. Pretty tasty. Now I can have smoked spam one can at a time and they don't take up space in my freezer..

A note on liquid smoke. Read the ingredient label. It should have 2 ingredients and only 2, water and smoke, and that's it. Wrights is one like that. Oh, and go easy on the smoke. Don't think you can just dunk the slices in it. It gets out of hand really fast and can make food inedible. This not a case of if a little is good a lot will be even better.

Boolit Master
    spam, like others ive got a couple cans in the cupboard along with beanie weenies just in case the world ends tomorrow.
    I never could understand exactly how they make smoke a liquid and put it in a bottle, they only way I know to smoke meat is with hickory, oak, maple or other wood
    in a grill of some sort that will hold the smoke in and be vented to control temp.

I found 38 threads with Spam in them, but while I don't care for it, smoked Spam deserves it's own thread.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Sliced Spam, cooked in the air fryer. Gets it nice and crispy.

Boolit Master
    Do advanced search "spam recipes".

Boolit Grand Master

For years I wouldn't touch it

Apparently you never served, lol. Fried spam and powdered eggs in the field made me a fan of Tabasco although I never got sick of it because I'm weird like that. I can eat the same thing everyday for weeks and don't care. I like Spam myself but the better half won't touch it. Treet should be eradicated from the Earth.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

I did a search for spam and thought I found gun threads mentioing spam but not the edible kind. I didn't think to look for spam recipes.

Anyway, a mod is free to fix it. I don't have the power.

Smoke is made liquid by spraying water into it and catching it. Pretty simple.

Boolit Grand Master

It's Hurricane season in Louisiana .
    Ida rolled through and knocked out just about everyone's electricity .
    The Grocery stores shelves are empty of fresh meat ... went to Albertson's , Rouses and Wall Mart ... No chicken , pork or beef ... the Spam shelf is null and void ... picked clean before the storm hit ...
    Can't get a can of Spam for blood or money right now .

I like Spam , especially when the electricity is out !
    I was a member of the Spam Club and have/had a membership card , T-shirt and Spam Cookbook !
    I ate my hurricane supply stash-o-Spam , the stores are out and I hear we have another hurricane brewing in the Gulf ... who say's living in Louisiana isn't fun !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-05-2021 at 06:52 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

All the more reason to bottle venison and salmon. I have not had a slice of spam since the 60's.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    im a firm believer in having a stash of spam, and other canned goods in cupboard for those time of uncertainty of course after scoring a stash at the store just gotta take at least one can and having it with eggs, hash browns and toast. I guess living most of my life in Louisiana and Florida we always were sure to be well stocked up for hurricane season. and if things get real desperate could always walk down to the canal and pop a gator for some grilled tail.

Boolit Master
    I found the best way to enjoy spam was to remove it from the can & eat the can!

Summertime hot weather lunch, half a can of spam cut into slices, cubes or logs. A slice of american or other cheese, a stack of good saltine crackers.

Its just a combination that is so simple it works.

Also, a pound or 2 of your favorite dried bean, I lean towards Pinto's.
    Can of spam, and a slow cooker. A little salt, onion. Actually comes out tasting very close to what it would with a hambone instead of spam.
    Serve with Rice and Ketchup. Darn good cheap eating.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

This is back in my "if it moves, eat it" years.

A friend of mine who grew up in Hawaii, made a trip home one time back in the seventies. She brought back a bunch of Kona (coffee, and the other) and a couple dozen of these tee shirts. Spam is a big deal in the islands.

Back in those days, I was skinny and hungry. That skillet and pot have cooked snakes, frogs, muskrats, jack rabbits, squirrels, crawdads, as well as all the more conventional types of protein including -- SPAM. I never did try coyote or skunk. jd

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cookin snake copy.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	288315
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

hoodat, I can't imagine eating coyote and especially skunk! I don't think I can ever be hungry enough Think Auschwitz hungry) to even think of eating skunk.

But Spam treated right is pretty good.

Love Spam. Slice it thin to fry with eggs. Chop it up to add unction to home fries. Grilled cheese and Spam. Cubed and added to home-made navy bean soup. 'Bout the only thing I won't do is eat it with pineapple.

I order it by the flat (12 cans) from Walmart. If the inventory drops below a dozen cans it's time to re-order.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    The fine folks at the Maui action pistol club taught me about the pleasures of Spam, specifically Spam musubi. Good stuff.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I learned to eat it in the Corps back in the ’80’s. Took it to the field with a Sterno stove. Fried slices in the can. Learned to love Tabasco as well. Still love both of them.
    I have enjoyed eating snake, monkey, dog and rat as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    I don't think I can ever be hungry enough Think Auschwitz hungry) to even think of eating skunk.
    Ya gotta cook it right, and be sure the scent glands are cut out.
    (They're inside the body cavity, near the base of the tail, and look like two oversize marbles)

Clean & skin it. Boil it 30-40 minutes.
    Make a batter of 1 1/2 cups flour, 3 cups milk, 2 eggs, 2 tbs baking powder. & 1/2 tsp salt. It should look like cake batter.
    Cut it up, dip in the batter and fry the pieces in lard until golden brown.

Or, use it in your favorite raccoon recipe.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-06-2021 at 03:07 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    I found the best way to enjoy spam was to remove it from the can & eat the can!
    Now that should get you stars on your man card!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Moderator Emeritus

I bu the singe serve slices of spam for lazy meals. I cut the slab into 2 super thin slices with a filet knife(think of butterflying a chop or steak) then fry it until crispy. Then drop it in a grilled cheese sandwich and have tomato soup on the side.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast