Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lyman mould specs?

Lyman mould specs?

Picked up a Lyman 457121Aw yesterday. Was told it's for a 45-70, but can't find the # on an internet search...any help would be greatly appreciated
    Vermont...First Republic...Fourteenth State

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"....Sigmund Freud

Bureaucracy,, taking the fun out of life one stupid rule at a time,,,,

Boolit Buddy
    The aw is the cherry identification and not part of the number. There was a point that Lyman (in its infinite wisdom) got rid of the in house tool department, requiring all the cherries to be outsourced. This mold was cut from one of the outsourced cherries. This was the first cherry provided by contractor ‘W’. Unfortunately it is not know what company the W represents.
    Last edited by zarrinvz24; 09-05-2021 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added information.

Boolit Man
    They call that "Adding value to the shareholders ".

Boolit Master
    My 1973 vintage Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook lists the 457121 as available in 215, 250, 295, 340, 385, 430, and 475 weights depending on the length. The picture shows it as a multi lube ring, plain base with semi round nose and a decent meplat.

Hope this helps.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmntranger View Post
    Picked up a Lyman 457121Aw yesterday. Was told it's for a 45-70, but can't find the # on an internet search...any help would be greatly appreciated
    All I could find... ( 457121PH Designed for Navy Arms Parker-Hale Whitworth rifles with 1/20" twists. Casts a nominal .456/.453" diameter in pure lead. Shoot as-cast, lube by hand PB, FN, 475 )

From this reference... Lyman and Ideal Mold Descriptions ( http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohland/Cast_B...457_45_Calibre )
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    My 1973 vintage Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook lists the 457121 as available in 215, 250, 295, 340, 385, 430, and 475 weights depending on the length. The picture shows it as a multi lube ring, plain base with semi round nose and a decent meplat.

Hope this helps.
    Rough measurement is 1.25 inches w 7 lube rings trying to figure out how heavy a slug it will cast?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"....Sigmund Freud

Boolit Master

try typing "what is a Lyman 457121"

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    try typing "what is a Lyman 457121"
    Did that all that comes up of any consequence is the 457121PH hollow point which I don't have.
    Elk Hunter came up with some of the info I needed. Don't have access to a vintage Lyman cast bullet handbook so now all 8 need is to figure out what weight boolit this mold casts.....I'm on vacation and won't be home to cast for like 3 weeks

Boolit Grand Master
    Although at one time, the 457-121 was available in multiple weights, since the 1970's when the Lyman family sold the company, it has only been available in the nominal 475 grain weight, which is what I think you have.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Although at one time, the 457-121 was available in multiple weights, since the 1970's when the Lyman family sold the company, it has only been available in the nominal 475 grain weight, which is what I think you have.
    yes this by rintinglen it can be hard to cast as it has many square driving bands / grease grooves. best of luck

Boolit Master
    I had that mold a few years ago and used it in my Siamese Mauser 45-70. Cast with COWW, it weighed 466 grains. Found that only lubing 4 grooves worked best, accuracy wise, and didn't lead. I tried four powders, 2400, 5744, 4198, 3031. Accuracy wasn't bad with any of them, but 2400 at about 1200 fps was the best, about 1 1/2" at 100 yards. 3031 at the same speed was second best, 1 1/2"-2" at 100. All lubed with Felix lube and shot at as cast diameter from a 24" barrel. Couldn't find anything in my notes saying what the diameter measured. 5744 left a bunch of powder granules in the barrel and brass.
    Happened to see what that mold was selling for on Ebay about 7-8 years ago, and since I have three other 45-70 molds from 350 to 500 gr., sold it for nearly five times what I paid for it.
    Hope this helps.
    Saw what was posted about the lube grooves while I was typing. Normally I would have added a little tin to the wheel weights for better fill out of Loverin style grooves, but found I didn't need to with this mold. All bands and grooves came out nice and sharp with straight wheel weights.
    Last edited by quack1; 09-06-2021 at 05:26 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by quack1 View Post
    I had that mold a few years ago and used it in my Siamese Mauser 45-70. Cast with COWW, it weighed 466 grains. Found that only lubing 4 grooves worked best, accuracy wise, and didn't lead. I tried four powders, 2400, 5744, 4198, 3031. Accuracy wasn't bad with any of them, but 2400 at about 1200 fps was the best, about 1 1/2" at 100 yards. 3031 at the same speed was second best, 1 1/2"-2" at 100. All lubed with Felix lube and shot at as cast diameter from a 24" barrel. Couldn't find anything in my notes saying what the diameter measured. 5744 left a bunch of powder granules in the barrel and brass.
    Happened to see what that mold was selling for on Ebay about 7-8 years ago, and since I have three other 45-70 molds from 350 to 500 gr., sold it for nearly five times what I paid for it.
    Hope this helps.
    Saw what was posted about the lube grooves while I was typing. Normally I would have added a little tin to the wheel weights for better fill out of Loverin style grooves, but found I didn't need to with this mold. All bands and grooves came out nice and sharp with straight wheel weights.
    Thank you sir. That is great info to start with.

Boolit Master
    My 1929 ideal catalog/loading manual shows 457121 as a 475 gr suggested for sharps rifles but I also know that lyman brought that mold back out in the late 80's / early 90's to go with the navy arms co. whitworth and volunteer reproduction military rifles. The later of the two is what it sounds like you have.

All great info guys...thanks a lot. Now, could I use this in a 45-70 or would I have to set it too deep to get max OAL and in doing do create a whole other set of problems with over pressure?

Boolit Master
    If it casts the correct diameter it should be fine for a .45-70. I would try the loading data for the lyman 457658 bullet which is the closest in weight.