Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me A2

New to me A2

Well I'm tickled pink!

The neighbor picked up an RCBS A2 press at auction for the other items in the lot. He has a couple of presses already and he only loads varmint stuff so we struck a bargain. My goodies for his and I'm into it for $80!

This thing is magnificent! I've never come across a stronger press. I can see where old Fred made this thing to swage bullets. I'm looking forward to getting into that eventually so I'm set!

Once I got it set up on the bench I ran a case through it because I'm curious where the primers go. Well it didn't come out anywhere so I will have to investigate further.

I'm headed out to the garage today and tomorrow to get things sorted out. You know how you get busy with everything else and stuff just piles up? That's me, therefore until it gets cleaned up any request for a picture will go ignored

Any advice, input?
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Master
    Primers are supposed to fall out the bottom of the ram but frequently get hung up and that is the minor design flaw in the press. Congrats on your classy acquisition.

Boolit Master
    Great stout cast steel presses! Do not paint it.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Great stout cast steel presses! Do not paint it.
    unless it's already been repainted by persons unknown, then a re-repaint may be appropriate.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...hlight=rcbs+2a
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I have a piece of guitar string on the bench to loosen the primer jam that not infrequently occurs in the ram. It seems to happen less often with Small primers than with Large ones.

Have a trash container under the press; ram down, insert string in hole in back of ram, push, pull, turn, twist, wiggle and wobble.

[QUOTE=earlmck;5256468]Primers are supposed to fall out the bottom of the ram but frequently get hung up and that is the minor design flaw in the press. Congrats on your classy acquisition.[/QUOTE

Primer channel inside ram accumulates grit and ash. Clean with short handgun cleaning rod, patch and alcohol from time to time and all will be OK.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

No paint necessary, it has a beautiful patina and the appropriate amount of wear.

I did a few more cases and found one on the bench under the press. I was wondering about the potential for build-up. I'll try one of my long wood handled cotton swabs for gun cleaning.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dddddmorgan View Post
    No paint necessary, it has a beautiful patina and the appropriate amount of wear.

I did a few more cases and found one on the bench under the press. I was wondering about the potential for build-up. I'll try one of my long wood handled cotton swabs for gun cleaning.
    that's a good thing (the paint). reference the primers, the cross pin that retains the top ram extension is where the primers will get hung up. the primers will fall through on either side (front or back). The top ram extension is quite hollowed out to mitigate clogs, but it will happen. So yes, cleaning on both sides of the pin will help.

reference things to know. Although our A2s are built like tanks for some bullet swaging, you will likely encounter some swaging die road blocks. Unlike all current day presses which are threaded for 1 1/4"-12tpi reducers, ours have 18tpi. That means no lock-n-load quick change gizmos or using commercial large body dies. Unless we have custom made large body dies, we need to stick with standard 7/8"-14tpi dies. Just something to keep in mind for other than basic reloading endeavors.

As per this nearby recent thread, ( https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...hlight=rcbs+2a ) that overly hollowed out top ram extension for spent primers creates other limitations.
    Last edited by oley55; 09-06-2021 at 02:10 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Oley, thanks for the input.

The bullet swaging is a long ways down the road. I'm thinking if I ordered some I could just specify thread if they come originally with the wrong pitch?

I'll get the bench cleaned up and take a picture.

I'm very fortunate as someone added a roller handle (looks just like a Dillon), this makes it super nice to use.

Boolit Master

in case you were not aware, you can find a copy of the RCBS A2 instructions here: https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-support/rc...tructions.html

The quality isn't great, but it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by dddddmorgan View Post
    Oley, thanks for the input.

The bullet swaging is a long ways down the road. I'm thinking if I ordered some I could just specify thread if they come originally with the wrong pitch?

I'll get the bench cleaned up and take a picture.

I'm very fortunate as someone added a roller handle (looks just like a Dillon), this makes it super nice to use.
    Well I'm slow but finally got a chance to get things squared away.

I was able to pick up a Dillon RL550C and got everything squared away on the bench.

Here is the old girl still working fine many decades after rolling on the production line.

I know some would find it necessary to restore her to a factory new look but if you know my old Ford pickup you know I'm fine with an honest patina

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2-1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	288921Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2-2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	288922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2-3.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	288923

Boolit Master

congrats that is a nice looking press just as it is.

The modifications to the toggle linkage to accommodate the roller handle will likely irk the collector purists out there, but sometimes personal function and use deserves it's place. Or maybe it never had the stub/tube handle...?

looking at the pics I can not tell for certain if it has a top reducer bushing. If it doesn't that seems rare. I understand some early (1967+) versions of the Rock Chucker didn't come with the reducer, but I thought all of the A2s did. I wonder if it is a late model A2 the was in production along with the introduction of the Rock Chucker. Does your press have a date stamp on the top towards the back side?
    Last edited by oley55; 09-19-2021 at 12:07 PM.

I wondered what was changed for the roller handle. I absolutely love it. I have to get one for my Dillon, no other way to live if you pull that handle much.

You're right Oley, there is no reducer bushing. I can't ever imagine having a need to reload 50 cal but it is a little disappointing that I have a press built for it and no way to... poor me...

Boolit Master

the spud the normal hollow handle fits over is precisely milled to match the toggle link, it is tapered much like an automotive ball joint except it is not held in place by an exterior nut, but rather screws in. The fit between the the cone, socket and threads is really pretty amazing from a milling tolerances perspective.

But since your press was not made to accommodate the larger dies, there is some likelihood it was always a through bolt handle just like the Rock Chucker presses. I would expect Ken or some other connoisseur of vintage presses to glean some historical information.

edit: a pic of my handle spud removed and the toggle socket below. The friction of tight matching cone/socket while being tightened down is considerable. I had a heck of a time the first time I took it apart, so I reassembled with a light coating of never-seize compound.

Did you find a date stamped into the top behind the die? If so yours is probably cast iron vs cast steel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3482.jpg  
    Last edited by oley55; 09-20-2021 at 12:51 PM.

The A2 with the reducing bushing were made from cast steel. Toward the end, the A2 was made from cast iron and the reducing bushing was eliminated.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Man
    Finally found a nice one last year. Been wanting one since 1965. This one has the reducer bushing.

Rock Chucker now sits under the bench!

Stockcarver what’s that big press to the right of your A2?

Can you post some additional pics?

Thanks

TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Man
    Custom 50 BMG press built by one of my machinist coworkers way back in the 1970's. I do not use it much anymore, sold my last BMG rifle 10 years ago.

I have a set of match BMG reamers by Hendrickson and dies I made with the reamers.

Have had thoughts of selling all my BMG stuff (cases, bullets, 8 lb kegs of powder, the press, dies, reamers, etc., but I have not found anyone interested with $$$$$.

Small one is a 416 Rigby.

RockChucker on top.

Below photo:

Small cartridge on bottom is a .308

Decap die, neck size die with bushings, seat die made with the chamber reamer, primer seater, trim die used in the drill press, case length gauge, everything you need for loading. And chamber reamer, resize reamer, go & no go gauges. Not shown is a case concentricity gauge.

Date stamp is 67.

So this is a cast iron press?

Banned
    An A2 that does not have a die bushing is a cast iron press, also the upper "O" frame is a different shape. 1967 was the change year and the first year for the Rockchucker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast