Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fed Up With Fine Threads on RCBS Lube Sizer

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I have an older LAM and I'm still trying to figure out just where the 1 3/8" wrench is used???

My piston comes out with the same ¼" socket that feeds pressure to the reservoir. No cover, but it did ccome from ebay about twenty years ago.

Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    On the LAM II, it's the nut on the lube reservoir. Need a wrench to break it loose and tighten it up.
    Okay, that makes sense. The OP isn't talking about the original Lubamatic.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Going back to the OP, I use a 16" Proto "open end adjustable wrench"(old shop teacher coming out, Cresent is a trade name) that works to break it loose and to snug it up. Still have enough hand strength to thread it in and out, but my time of having to have a mechanical advantage is coming way too fast.

The itty-bitty 10" does the sizer die.

The turn backwards to get down on the threads helps.
    At 79 I'm old enough to call all adjustable wrenches "Crescent". I'm also way behind cleaning up/organizing my loading bench. Not enough room to use a 12" adjustable. Couldn't make a very big arc with it anyway. Same with a 10". I've got an old 8" that I ended up with when I cleaned out my uncle's garage after my widowed aunt passed away.

I'm still looking at the Perfessor's wrench. All it requires is placing the "socket" on the die retainer nut and turning with a sliding bar handle. Yes! the bar must be removed after each partial turn but the socket remains on the nut.

Obviously, I'm past the age when I started needing a mechanical advantage.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    At 79 I'm old enough to call all adjustable wrenches "Crescent". I'm also way behind cleaning up/organizing my loading bench. Not enough room to use a 12" adjustable. Couldn't make a very big arc with it anyway. Same with a 10". I've got an old 8" that I ended up with when I cleaned out my uncle's garage after my widowed aunt passed away.

I'm still looking at the Perfessor's wrench. All it requires is placing the "socket" on the die retainer nut and turning with a sliding bar handle. Yes! the bar must be removed after each partial turn but the socket remains on the nut.

Obviously, I'm past the age when I started needing a mechanical advantage.
    The fairly large diameter and knurling allow 90+% of the work to be easily done with fingers alone. Even for this 64 year old arthritic. The bar is only required to break the nut free, or provide the final torque. It really is the tool for the job.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I always start the sizer die nut by hand. Once I'm sure it's going in properly I use a crescent wrench. So far I've been able to do the wax reservoir nut by hand. Cross threading either would be a disaster.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

Thought I would close this thread out by reporting that I got the 1 3/8" wrench. It really makes it easy to remove the reservoir cap nut. The 7-8 inch length sure helps on a crowded bench. Don't have to squirt solvent on the threads.

Still thinking that I might order the size die retention nut wrench from Keith(Perfessor). Probably obvious now that I like gadgets/problem solvers.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

I believe that both the die retention nut and reservoir nut would be improved by converting to a bayonet type thread. 1/2 turn released and 1/2 turn locked. much faster and as secure. Like the die conversions being sold.

Boolit Master

I 2nd the Die Nut wrench from KeithB on Artful bullet.
    I bought one for the Lyman 450, it works Fantastically.

The Lyman issue wrench that came with the press works just fine. I just wanted a new thinga-ma-jig.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez Green Frog just learned how to "catch a thread"!

Boolit Grand Master
    Green Frog sez GONRA just read a week old thread as though it were new. Notice Green Frog said “I always…” which would imply that Green Frog has been doing this for a while. Not something Green Frog “just learned”.

Now if GONRA could “just learn” to write in the first person!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Starting the die retaining nut is a whole lot easier if you lay a fender washer on it and gently lower the ram into contact. This keeps it square so it's harder to get it cross-threaded. Washer O.D. has to be sized a wee bit smaller than the nut. From there I use a crescent wrench.
    exactly what i do no more cross threading works on lyman also

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12