Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeler gauges

Boolit Master

Feeler gauges

What’s a good feeler gauge set for measuring revolver B-C gap & end-shake?

I was surprised to see Browells didn’t have any. At least I couldn’t find them on their site.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    What’s a good feeler gauge set for measuring revolver B-C gap & end-shake?

I was surprised to see Browells didn’t have any. At least I couldn’t find them on their site.
    "It's an automotive thing, son. You wouldn't understand." Actually, feeler gauges are getting a bit hard to find. Last couple of sets I bought are chinese imports, from HF and Amazon. I believe you'll find Grainger and McMaster-Carr have them, still, but I've not seen them in an auto supply store lately. I just looked at O'Reilly's website, and all the ones they show, you can pick up in the store, in about 8 days. We used some at my work, back when I had a job early last year, for setting sewing machines up, and not much of anything else. The ones I bought, I got to use with my mini-lathe, for shimming tooling to center height. I think I'd get a set in brass to avoid scratching the finish on a blued revolver.

Not a real gunsmith or machinist. Just a wannabe gunsmith & machinist.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master
    I haven't looked for any for years, but the Snap-on or MAC tool truck should have plenty. You may have to get your local mechanic to order it, depending on the truck driver.

Robert

Boolit Master

Travers Tool Co. Good people to deal with. The shop I retired from bought most of their tooling from them.

https://www.travers.com/

800-221-0270

Another thought, most any auto parts store should have one.
    Last edited by Alstep; 09-05-2021 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added more info.

Boolit Master

I picked up a set at Walmart last year.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master
    local weaver auto parts should have them
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    local weaver auto parts should have them
    We don’t have those in my neck of the woods.

Boolit Grand Master

While I have several of folding feeler gauges, they are available still better larger sets from tool supply houses like Mc Master Carr Graingers Shars. In the shop I prefer the individual feeler gauges in the longer lengths.6-12" long these are lighter less bulky and easier to get a good "feel" with.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Once my wife’s younger sister was helping us on a project and I needed a feeler gauge. I sent her to the auto parts store to buy one. She was a busty young girl and said everyone burst out laughing when she asked for a feeler gauge.
    It’s true, you don’t see them for sale as much as before. Probably because they are no longer needed to adjust distributeur points like before.

Boolit Master

Automotive and machinist applications. Starrett anyone?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Buddy
    Most hardware stores carry them. Some farm supply stores are places to check as well. Brand would not concern me, others it would.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Probably because they are no longer needed to adjust distributeur points like before.
    That and with modern vehicles, people don’t change their own plugs except on their 2 & 4 cycle tools. And even those are usually gapped properly out of the box.

Boolit Grand Master

Unless I don't understand what is the question I bought a set at the local auto store. I have a Craftsman round keyring gauge too.

Although plugs are supposed to come gapped I'm that guy who still checks them and regaps plugs during routine maintenance although it's not really needed much anymore. Just old-school I guess
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Unless I don't understand what is the question I bought a set at the local auto store. I have a Craftsman round keyring gauge too.

Although plugs are supposed to come gapped I'm that guy who still checks them and regaps plugs during routine maintenance although it's not really needed much anymore. Just old-school I guess
    How long ago, jon? I've got three auto parts stores within about 2 miles of my house, and none of them carry flat feeler gauges in stock. You can get the coin type, still, there, as people still use them as a keyring thingie.

I'm with you on checking the gap on the plugs. I've gotten several where they must have dropped the box on the hot end, and had to regap. I do still change the plugs on my 98 Chevy truck, though the dealer takes care of the Hyundai Elantra. I haven't been able to get tech data on it. I'm hoping if I keep it long enough, Haynes or Chilton will come out with a book for it. It's a 2017, so not holding my breath, though.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Apparently my link was in violation of something.

My recommendation is Wilde feeler gauges, made in USA, inexpensive.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    That and with modern vehicles, people don’t change their own plugs except on their 2 & 4 cycle tools. And even those are usually gapped properly out of the box.
    I forgot about adjustable valve lifters too. Not near as many around as before either.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Apparently my link was in violation of something.

My recommendation is Wilde feeler gauges, made in USA, inexpensive.
    Ebay links aren't allowed here.

Boolit Master
    The phone companies bought feeler gauges by the thousands every year until electro mechanical switches were replaced. The sizes went from .0015 to .3500. Most were just thrown away. I think I kept three sets. Here is one of them.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 09-13-2021 at 08:41 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    How long ago, jon? I've got three auto parts stores within about 2 miles of my house, and none of them carry flat feeler gauges in stock. You can get the coin type, still, there, as people still use them as a keyring thingie.

I'm with you on checking the gap on the plugs. I've gotten several where they must have dropped the box on the hot end, and had to regap. I do still change the plugs on my 98 Chevy truck, though the dealer takes care of the Hyundai Elantra. I haven't been able to get tech data on it. I'm hoping if I keep it long enough, Haynes or Chilton will come out with a book for it. It's a 2017, so not holding my breath, though.

Bill
    Not long ago, I think. Bought a pocket knife style with the blades. Not sure how long ago it was but not, like, 20yrs.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast