RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: 22 r 2

Boolit Bub

22 r 2

I was given a set of 22 R 2 dies a couple years ago. They are Pacific but not chrome plated. They look to be a good quality. Not sure of the marking on the top of each die. Sorry I have no way to take pictures. Looking at the top with each die indexed with the caliber at 6 o'clock, Pacific name at 3 o'clock. One die has an "S" at 9 o'clock and a "V" at 12 o'clock. The 2nd die has an "SX" at 9 and a "V" at 12. The 3rd die has an "S" at both 9 and 12 o'clock. There a decapping stem with the dies which fits all 3 dies. There was no seating stem. I need to order some cerrosafe so I can check inside die dimensions next. If anyone has a WAG what these letters mean, I would appreciate the help. Thanks

Banned
    Sounds like you have 22Hornet R2 Lovel dies. It was a popular wildcat back when Pacific was an independent company.

Boolit Bub
    Ken the 22 R 2 is based on the old 25-20 Single Shot. I have some 22-3000 brass ( based on the 25-20 SS) that will seat almost full length in both the S & S and S & V marked dies but they will only go half way in on the SX & V die. Thinking it may be the form die. Some time back I did a 17 Lovell based off the same case. I ran one of those cases into the dies with the same results as the 22-3000. I just can't figure the lettering code on the top of the dies. I just ordered some cerrosafe.

Banned
    OK, I have not figured out the lettering either. Early Pacific literature is scarce and lacking details.

Boolit Master
    I have and use a set of pre-Durachrome Pacific loading dies in .270 caliber. The full-length sizing die has “SX” and a “Y” around the top, and the seating die has “S” and “Y,” and both, of course, have the Pacific company stamp.

So I’d figure your “SX” is the sizing die and the “S” is the seating die. The single letter might be a year date code or something.

Maybe the “S” “S” die is a neck sizer, or, it could be a seater of another vintage the original owner scrounged up. Too bad the stems are missing. The ones on my set are a needlessly complicated array of collars and adjusters that no other company, to my knowledge, seemed to think was worth bothering with.

Boolit Bub
    That would make sense the SX V as the sizer since a sized 22-3000 and my 17 Lovell case would only go into the die part way. The S V could be a neck die and the S S die would be the seater. Hopefully my cerrosafe will be here by the end of the week so I can check dimensions of the dies and when I talk to Kiff, check their reamer dimensions. Kiff has the 22 R 2 reamer on sale and I want to get it ordered. It's a bucket thing, I think it will be a fun cast bullet toy when done. At 79 I better do it before I get old.

Boolit Master
    I started with a set of Pacific dies for 30-30.(1964?) The seating die had a separate crimping collar, you would seat a bullet with the crimp collar backed out, back out the seating stem, set the crimp collar, then readjust the seating stem, then you could seat and crimp together. That is my explanation for the multiple collars for seating, the crimping collar had a lock ring, then the seating stem had another lock ring, lots of moving parts. Most seating dies have a crimping collar in the seating die body and the standard seating stem. There are others that do differ, guide collars, separate crimp dies, on and on.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for that explanation, MostlyLeverGuns. My set was found at a Gun Show in a crumbling paper box with no instructions, so I had no clue as to what all the extra adjusters were for.

The .22-3000 R-2 was never standardized, so any gunsmith who could grind and use a half-reamer could unleash his inner creativity as regards to case shape. I think Landis’ book pictures a series of Lovell shells whose shoulders go from almost nonexistent to almost square, with only ~3/16” of neck available.

Boolit Bub
    The dimensions are all over the place, I have wrote down in a note book ten different designs and that's just what little I've dug up.