RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16 gauge slug through a bear

Boolit Grand Master

I'm honestly stumped. It looks mostly like a fisher, but that thin little tail just doesn't quite fit. The picture isn't that great, but overall it appears the animal has very fine short fur, especially on the tail, like you would expect on an otter. Fishers have long fluffy fur. Judging by the sunlight, it was not raining in that picture, and there was no water close enough that the animal could have been wet. It's definitely some kind of weasel/otter type animal, not a fox. It's hard to tell size exactly, but I'd guess the body to be maybe 16" long, maybe not quite 3' overall with the tail. I'm seeing pictures of baby fisher that look similar, but this is way too big to be a baby. It's definitely not a house cat.

Boolit Master
    Fisher, summer coat.

Well done MSM! You put alot of work into that meat and I hope it is enjoyable.

Are you going to end up with a Bear Skin Rug?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    It is funny how hard work and commitment results in “luck”. A fine ending for all your effort and investment.

Great write up!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    It looks like an otter to be I blew up the pic. Also otters can climb trees. https://youtu.be/tQ5cvezsUV8

Boolit Master
    Nap hunting also works for ducks. Especially if you are in the blind by yourself. People in nearby blinds make comments about letting bird land on top of me.

Boolit Master

Nice bear!

hard work = good "luck"

I would bet there are quite a few nap hunting experts on here.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Bub
    Excellent hunt. Congratulations.

Boolit Grand Master

I fried up some burgers and a slice of what will be jerky. Neither flavored. I knew it would be good, but it's every bit as good as the bear I got last year. I've heard so many times that the big ones get a strange flavor, but that does not seem to be the case with this one. Fantastic taste.

Boolit Mold
    Excellent bear!

I consider it something special anytime a big game animal is taken with a shotgun, even more so with ammunition you made yourself.

Congratulations!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    What a dandy!!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Boolit Buddy
    Nice bear, congrats! Thanks for the great report and pics, too. Enjoyed reading it.

Could that be a pine marten in the tree? Don't know whether you have them there...

Re: Nap hunting, I got my first (and only) "double" on deer after waking up to see two of them about 6 yds away. Shot one of them (bullet went straight thru, and deer ran 50 yds or so) and when I went looking for it, I saw her partner about 80 yds away in a field and shot him, too.

Boolit Grand Master

Hey, it does look a lot like a pine marten! That might be it.

Looks like a Marten or Fisher to me.

Boolit Master

Nice hunt, thanks for sharing! I’ve done some nap hunting. If hunt I went on I remember seeing my brother in law surrounded by 5 or 6 deer grazing. He said he was awake the whole afternoon and never saw a deer!. Tim

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the great story, MSM! I liked the "after action forensics" report as well. One of my hobbies is collecting old Belgium Browning Auto 5s. The Remington 11-48 is very similar to the Auto 5 internally. I just love the recoil impulse on those old reciprocating barrel self loaders. Thanks again for the post. TreeTop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Grand Master

The 16 gauge Remington 11-48 is a special machine for sure. It's built just for 16 gauge, trim, light. Not that the Auto 5's are big at all, but it's lighter than a standard Auto 5. The 11-48 is almost a sweet 16... and you can buy them for $200. The "self adjusting" friction setup of the 11-48 has its limits, but it works really well in 16 gauge with the relatively narrow window of use, vs a 12 gauge. I run loads 7/8 oz up to 1 1/4 oz with no problems at all. There is one advantage I know of with a few Remington 11's or Browning auto 5's, and that is the trigger guard safety. Most people want to get rid of their "suicide safety". I wish I could put on on my 11-48. Thankfully the 11-48 uses the same trigger group as all modern Remington shotguns, and you can buy oversized buttons, and in left or right hand versions so you can actually use them without hand acrobatics.

I remember seeing a Fisher run across the road when I was Bear hunting in winter. They are pretty good size. About the size of a small fox....

Marens are lot smaller if I remember.

Boolit Grand Master

Another suggestion I got today was a long-tailed weasel. I'd have to say this is the third animal that looks an awful lot like it. They have the fine fur, and thin tails like the one in the picture. I think the trail camera picture animal looks a little large and bulky to be a weasel. That, and it appears to be all brown, where a weasel has a whitish belly.

Boolit Master

I've successfully used that same nap hunting technique on white tail and turkey. I think it must be the peaceful sound of snoring that draws them in!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12