Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Lemmee tell ya about my Birthday visit to the range: A cautionary tale!

Boolit Master

Lemmee tell ya about my Birthday visit to the range: A cautionary tale!

After a long absence due to Covid and other roadblocks, I finally decided to to make a range trip! My wife had bought me a 10-visit range pass for Father's day.

The .22s were running about thumbnail size groups at 50 yards, no matter what I stuffed in them, so I decided to go to the Pistol range.

My 357 Match Champion had smoothly run about a half-box of my reloads, when I decided to try some loads I had made up using full Wadcutters. A couple went off like they were supposed to, but when I pulled the trigger on the new batch, nothing! The Revolver was locked tighter than a Frog's Fanny! (That is a southern thing!)
    The barrel-cylinder gap was clear, but neither I nor any of the range officers had ever seen anything like it. Needless to say, I was upset!

I packed up and went home, with a fully-loaded, totally locked up 357 Magnum in the back seat! I called a local business' Gunsmith and explained the situation.
    I figured this is gonna cost me something, so I pulled a Benjamin from my stash and was on my way. My wife saw I was really upset, so she volunteered to drive me. She was right!

I walked into the shop. He looked about 17, but was probably a Marine Corps Armorer, and in 30 seconds he had it unlocked, and showed me how to do it, should it happen again.

He explained that the primer had backed out, jamming the gun. I asked "What do I owe you?" He said "Nothing." I was relieved, amazed, astonished and overwhelmed! When any of my guns ever need repair, I know where to send them!

Later that evening, I pulled some bullets and discovered the cartridge didn't have any powder in it! 5 out of the 12 I had loaded for testing the new load didn't either. Really, REALLY angry with myself! Then I broke my Bullet Puller!

Soooo...even after 40+ years of reloading, stuff can still happen. Check, re-check, and check again. Never assume NUTTIN!

Thanks for letting me rant a bit!
    Last edited by sniper; 09-03-2021 at 07:19 PM.
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Glad it turned out so well.

Another southern saying I heard as a kid was in reply to a sentence starting with if was

" If a frog had a pocket he would carry a pistol to keep the snakes shot off him"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

If a frog had wings they wouldn’t bump their tush every time they jumped!!!!

Boolit Man
    If your puller is an RCBS impact puller, call them. They might replace for free. They had an issue a few years back with the neck breaking.

Boolit Master

Backed out primers are a pain. Was shooting some light 38 spl loads with a friend that was interested in reloading and had one back out and lock the gun up tight. Combination of loose primer pocket and too light of a load to reseat the primer when fired. Scared him off from reloading and had to use a dowel down the barrel to pound the case back onto the primer to get the gun free.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

Well spill. What is the solution he shared with you? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Yes....it can happen at any time to anyone! No one can escape the curse of Murphy!

Oh, by the way.....birthdays suck beyond a certain age! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master
    5 of 12 you loaded for testing had NO POWDER! What? I tend to be extra precise when loading for testing...you should really consider what you're doing and pay just a small bit of attention. If those "missing" charges were in the remaining 7 rounds, you haved a improvised game of Russian roulette going on. Might want to be more careful.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Grand Master
    I caught my self once skipping a row in the loading block so that there would have been FIVE powderless cartridges in that batch. I have since changed my reloading technique so that cases in the loading block start facing neck down and then are inverted and placed back in the block neck up after charging and checking the powder charge.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I caught my self once skipping a row in the loading block so that there would have been FIVE powderless cartridges in that batch. I have since changed my reloading technique so that cases in the loading block start facing neck down and then are inverted and placed back in the block neck up after charging and checking the powder charge.
    Good practice the mouth down after priming in the block also gives us a chance make sure all the primers are seated properly .

Boolit Buddy
    I no longer use a loading block. Just a small bowl. Pick up case, charge with powder, seat bullet. No tv, no radio, no computer in gun room, no distractions.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

When I find myself doubting if the powder is there I shake it next to my ear, of course if you're running compressed load it won't work. Works better with stick powders and if you have good hearing.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dimaprok; 09-12-2021 at 09:19 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chihuahua Floyd View Post
    I no longer use a loading block. Just a small bowl. Pick up case, charge with powder, seat bullet. No tv, no radio, no computer in gun room, no distractions.
    CF
    This is a good way, but I prefer to use a loading block so that I can visually compare each charge with its neighbors. (Which is how I found the afore mentioned empties.) Any case that has a tall or short seeming powder column gets dumped and recharged.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I always use a loading block when charging cases. Before I seat the bullets, I hold the block under a light, to make sure the cases are all equally charged. I never have had any issues using this method. This is a good system for keeping things straight.
    Last edited by GBertolet; 09-05-2021 at 08:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master

I'll bet those 12 rounds weren't loaded on a progressive press.

So much for a single-stage press being safer.
    NRA Benefactor.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill 7 View Post
    If a frog had wings they wouldn’t bump their tush every time they jumped!!!!
    My Belgian grand father used to say that.

Boolit Master

I had that happen too. A locked up cylinder, if I recall I think it was the screw that keeps the crane in place had backed out. It was frustrating for me but a simple fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I'll bet those 12 rounds weren't loaded on a progressive press.

So much for a single-stage press being safer.
    Yep, loading blocks are no better. It still takes work to screw things up.