RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Primer cost

Boolit Master

The local Sportsmans Warehouse just received another lot of CCI #41 primers. I picked up another thousand today. They're holding @ 53.90 per K. 223 ammo is 14.99 per box of 20.
    The local department store has Tula 223 "on sale" for 8.99 per box. American Eagle 223 for 11.99 a box. Blazer 9mm, 115 or 124 fmj for 16.97. Things are looking up.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master

Just got back from their site, all primers show "out of stock".

Boolit Master

Off and on, over the last few months, they will get ammunition and reloading componants in. They do not, (for some reason) list them as in stock. My guess would be, that there stock gets bought out so fast that they don't bother listing it as "in stock".
    As I stated, I bought a thousand CCI #41 primers earlier today. There was about (guessing here) 20,000 primers available. I will be going back again tomorrow, and getting another thousand.

Boolit Master

Now they're sold out!

And she called me crazy when I stocked up on 30,000 various milsurp rounds for pennies per round along with primers, powder and brass for my other chamberings.

Boolit Master

Good insight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    The only thing that will cause exorbitant pricing of reloading components to dial back is for people to stop paying the ridiculous prices being asked for same.
    If that works for you fine ,but I own guns cause I like to shoot . Something else gives me great pleasure , is buying little used safe queens from guys who won't buy the components (what ever it takes) to keep the barrel warm / Ed

Boolit Master

Prices ARE dropping fellas. Hold fast!

Boolit Master

Not quite sure I agree. 1st Primers I have seen at Murdochs (Actually on their web site as 200 + boxes of 100 at almost all of their stores) in over a year are listed as CCI-Br4 Small Bench Rest Rifle Primers - Cost is $9.99 per thousand. That is almost three times the cost previously (when they had primers in stock).

Soooooo; I am not seeing that falling price you mention.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Seeing as how most folks (reloaders) haven't even seen primers in the last 15 months, I consider even getting them on the shelf is a big plus. Then, considering the fact that the prices are falling here locally where I am, just enforces the fact that the prices are coming down. I realize that the prices are still outrageous in some areas and states. But, I'm not going to start hollering "The sky is falling The sky is falling" just because your area and others are still selling the primers at a premium price.
    Prices ARE coming down. I'm sorry for letting others know this fact, that would rather run with the "gloom and doom" crowd.

Boolit Master
    People with a little extra cash are not going to forget this shortage. If their wallet permits they will sock away 50-100k of primers which will keep the shelves mostly bare for years to come.
    Don’t be stubborn, if you can find a brick of what you need locally for $50 buy it.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Well said.

Boolit Mold
    Learned recently that "Ammo Inc" is building a $12 million 160,000 sqft plant to produce loaded ammunition in Wisconsin and planning to complete construction by mid-2022. They make their own brass and I believe projectiles but that's it. Will be more competition for primers and powder just when things might have been starting to improve

Boolit Master
    Given inflation and the fact that companies aren’t going to lower prices until they both get high on inventory & the competition has lower prices… I don’t ever expect to see primers under $70/1k.

Add the cost of overtime pay that is likely being paid to make primers, and $100/1k doesn’t seem out of line when buying new primers manufactured in 2021.

People in society are generally becoming more fearful, which drives up ammo consumption… and I don’t see an end to that downward spiral either.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Given inflation and the fact that companies aren’t going to lower prices until they both get high on inventory & the competition has lower prices… I don’t ever expect to see primers under $70/1k.

Add the cost of overtime pay that is likely being paid to make primers, and $100/1k doesn’t seem out of line when buying new primers manufactured in 2021.

People in society are generally becoming more fearful, which drives up ammo consumption… and I don’t see an end to that downward spiral either.
    I am a tad more optimistic. There has been an increase in supply and reduction in price on both ammunition and primers in the last 9 months. Inflation is unlikely to hit 30%, so that would put primers at about $45/k. The cost of overtime is not significant. I expect labor cost to be about 15% of the total cost of the product.

Figure when primers were retailing $30/k, the manufacturers were selling to distributors at $20/k. Assuming a 50% profit, their cost would be $10/k....so labor at $1.5/k. With a 30% increase in material prices, that $8.50 goes to $11.05. If workers are getting 16 hrs of OT (@1.5) a week, the hourly wage increase is (40 + 16x1.5)/(40+16) which comes to a labor cost increase of just under 30%...$2/k. So total manufacturing costs go from $10/k to $13/k.

For manufacturers to maintain their 50% margin, the need to sell at $26/k. For the distributors to keep their margins of 33%($10/30 = 33%), they will need to sell primers they buy at $26/k for $42/K ($42-26)/42=33%

At anything above about $50/k, someone is making a lot more money than two years ago.

I went through this exercise to determine when I will buy back to replenish stocks. Those who are desperate will be forced to buy at prices over $45. Getting a couple of thousand at a time at $60-70 will be necessary for people caught short but those people will not be buying 50-100k at a time.... either they are too smart, or cannot afford to do so.

I am hoping the new normal will be in the $42-50/k area. If there is a change in DC, and primers from Russia are allowed back into our market, prices will be driven down. I bought 10's of thousands of Wolf and Tula primers at $18/k during the good times. They would be at about $25-30/k now.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Stopped in Cabelas today in NW Indiana. They had four boxes of large pistol and small rifle CCI primers on the shelf for $79.99/1000. I looped the store, was stunned by the prices on everything and left discouraged. The acquisition by Bass Pro has killed what was a great outdoor retailer. RIP Cabelas.

Boolit Mold
    Tonto

Agree whole heartedly that BP is killing Cabelas. Can't even park over night in their lots any more; at least not in Mitchell. Got run out of the Springfield BP lot in the middle of the night a couple of years ago while travelling. And you are correct, the prices are up and the general quality of the goods is down. We were in the sporting goods business for 30+ years and have a pretty good idea about such things.

Up here Cabellas and BP run the same ads for the same merchandise at the same price. I have no issues with their merchandise, pricing or service, all of which I have found to be excellent.

Primers up here are more available than in the recent past but costi $7.99 - $8.99Cdn (8.99CDN would be $7.20US). It will be later next spring before we see offshore primers in with likely new pricing as well. I'll buy Russian, Bosnia, or Ukranian primers at $4.99Cdn before any primers US primers at $7.99 Cdn. Unfortunately none of the offshore importers bring in magnum primers either large or small. Over the chrony the offshore primers work just as well as the domestic variety for most applications I encounter.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Talked to BIL in San Diego last night, he was in a small local shop yesterday. SPP were going for $170 before the 7.75% San Diego County sales tax.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm going to have to empty a shelf in my gun safe to lock up my valuables--my primers.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast