MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Load Data
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Primer cost

Boolit Grand Master

I was straightening up my reloading room, today, and found a note with my primers. I had bought a bunch in 2014 for $27.00 per 1000. That was a good price at the time. I consider that pretty close to "normal". When and if they get close to that I'll buy a supply again. Until then, I have enough to get along...

Dale53

Boolit Master

Before all this started. I bought 4 cases of primers. small rifle small pistol large pistol and large rifle. 600.00. for all 4 cases. 2 cases were CCI they were 145 ea. The other 2 federal. They were 155.00 ea. I don't like how they are packaged for putting them in the flip tray. Only tried one sleve. Im still working from boxes of 1000. I had before i bought in bulk.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    $135 plus tax for 1,000 primers.
    People paying outrageous prices are the problem. Prices will drop once people stop panic buying.

Since there is NO supply entering the marketplace for the next year or two or three, don't plan on prices falling back to what you imagine are "reasonable" levels before the end of the second Trump administration.

Add to that the twin spectres of inflation and supply chain disruption, which are already driving up prices for raw materials, labor, and overhead.

If your sport depends on hundreds or thousands of rounds a month, plan on buying loaded ammo, because that's where the primers will be.

If you're loading deer-hunting ammo, ten or even fifteen cents per primer isn't going to break the bank.
    Cognitive Dissident

At 40/1000 I would purchase $1500.00 or so.

Boolit Grand Master
    Primers will come down in price. Learn from this and plan for the future when things get back to normal.

It is not the end of the world if you have to cut down or stop shooting for a few months. Like uscra112 posted, even at current prices, we can hunt and defend ourselves without going bankrupt.

Now is a good time to evaluate how important shooting is to you as you plan for the future. One answer is to maintain a 5 year safety stock...another is to dial down shooting during shortages...and for others, to stop recreational shooting during supply/price events.

There is no one right answer for all....but there is a right answer for you.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

The last big shortage must have been 2011ish. I don't remember seeing a good supply of primers again until at least 2013, and It wasn't until 2015ish things got back to where they should be.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    At 40/1000 I would purchase $1500.00 or so.
    Me too............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

If you want to shoot, and you need primers, you will pay the going rate.
    I am stocked, but I like shooting too much to
    not buy primers if I need them.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    I was straightening up my reloading room, today, and found a note with my primers. I had bought a bunch in 2014 for $27.00 per 1000.
    Yep, I just checked, and November 2014 was the last time I bought primers in bulk, too.

CCI41 were $33/M, Russian SRM primers were $20/M and Russian LR primers were $23/M from Wideners.

I guess the days of those good Russian primers (at ANY price) are over. Thanks Joe!

New Retail price of primers is pushing $60 per thousand. That is what a retail store should sell for IF they had stock to sell.
    I've got most probably more SPP and SRP than I'll ever need. But would like a few thousand more LRP as I don't have many and would like to make sure I can shoot those guns when I want. Would I buy LRP at $60? yep, Probably $300 or 400 worth and probably that much more in SRP and SPP if below $60

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    New Retail price of primers is pushing $60 per thousand. That is what a retail store should sell for IF they had stock to sell.
    I've got most probably more SPP and SRP than I'll ever need. But would like a few thousand more LRP as I don't have many and would like to make sure I can shoot those guns when I want. Would I buy LRP at $60? yep, Probably $300 or 400 worth and probably that much more in SRP and SPP if below $60
    I like the way you think!!! If the "new normal" winds up at $60/K it is not a deal killer for me either. This is my hobby and $500 dollars a year more is not going to matter.

Wish you were closer as I would gladly trade you LRP for SPP.
    Don Verna

Agree with the 2 above. Although non existent around here, I would ( and will) buy a lifetime supply at any price $60 or below. For those not willing to buy them at $40/1000 please let me know where they are at that price.

Handloader, I am in Northern AL if you ever make it this way. I have more LP than SP…..
    Tony

Boolit Master

I was in the Pro Shop at my local gun club a month ago. They haven't had primers of any kind for over a year. Low and behold, they had about 15K of the CCI-41 SR. The price was 149.00 per K. I did pass. It's not that the purchasing agent is gouging the members, but it's the price he had to pay to get them to the members. He knew that the price was way high, but the request for primers had not stopped. Some have been sold though, even at that price. The local Sportsmans Warehouse is getting more ammunition and powder on the shelves, and yes, the prices are high. No primers though. So maybe things are loosening up some.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Powder has been the really hard thing to find here, especially anything suitable for .223/5.56. Bullets are almost back to normal supply, of course at higher prices.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Drove 80 miles to the largest reloading stock in PA. They had 2,000 .50 BMG primers on the shelf and that was it. I did find an 8 pound jug of 4227 for a fair price and that followed me home for 300 BLK. That jug will exceed my small rifle supply. Still plenty of large rifle and both pistol sizes, but small rifle is a problem.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    For those not willing to buy them at $40/1000 please let me know where they are at that price.
    This is what I was looking to find out. If prices can get back to $40 per thousand, I think there are a few of us who'll be stocking up. It'll probably take even longer for primers to get below $40 per thousand, if ever.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    My local shop has been getting a trickle of primers in. The owner keeps them in the stock room and only sells to established customers at semi-normal prices. He said he is sick and tired of flea market carnies who never shop there otherwise trying to buy his stock to flip at 3X the price.
    Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing here. I have a friend with an FFL and he's tired of the same. He's got 12 or 13 thousand LP primers on the shelf but he'll only sell to those he knows. He get's $45 a thousand.

I feel sorry for those without the resources or they're new to shooting. Old guys who weren't paying attention or thought it couldn't happen to them can go hang as far as I'm concerned. I saw what a poor job Bush was doing way back then and knew our next Idiot in Charge would be a democrat so I stocked up then. Glad, too. This could be the new normal.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    That's not what Scheel's is selling them for.

They are going for $3.99/100 when they have them.

Announced price increases would put them in the $38-$40/1000 range right now.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast