WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Primer cost

Back during WW2 there were no primers, (or loaded ammo for that matter) for four whole years. None. Zero.

Flintlocks and black powder became very attractive. There was never a shortage of Holy Black.

Just sayin'.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

yesterday at a gunshow I saw primers at $150/thousand. I was very disappointed in seeing those prices along with a few cans of powder at $40-$45lb. Didn't see anyone buying any. Don't get me started on the silly ammo prices. $40 for a box of 30-06?''

One guy did have a few boxes not only of Tula primers but tula ammo which surprised me.

My question to you all would be; if primers did go back to $40 per thousand, how many would you see yourself keeping on hand?

Good question. If you figure out the price per round loaded I'd buy at 40 if I needed some with no problem. The only thing I don't have an adequate supply of is LRM but I don't use that many so the thousand or so I have is good enough until I find another thousand at a reasonable price
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    At $40, I am not buying any until I need them...at this pont, I should have a decade supply, if I get shooting more. Only exception is LRM...if I get to shooting my 338L.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    At $40 per thousand, I probably wouldn't buy any as I currently have more than I will likely use for the rest of my life. I was caught once with a primer shortage about 50 years ago. I have not ran out of supplies since and plan on keeping it that way.

With the current increase in the money supply (inflation) I don't see primers much below $40 ever again.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post

There are no companies who make primers strictly for the retail market. All the primers we used to buy were surplus to the needs of the ammunition manufacturers. When they made enough primers for the loaded ammunition they were making, then we got the surplus. Now, there's no surplus in this market. Sig just announced that they're going to build a primer manufacturing facility to fill their needs, since they've been depending on the major players for their supply, too. Hornady is in the same boat, but they haven't announced any plans to make their own primers. MagTech and S&B haven't imported any primers to the U.S. in several years, and that's also impacted the market.

I don't look for the primer shortage to ease up any time soon, at least not this year........

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Umm...not according to CCI. Several million new shooters, panic buying by older shooters, panic buying by reloaders, many new reloaders, it all adds up to a perfect storm. Most major ammo companies have over a year's worth of backorders. Vista reports over a BILLION dollars worth of backorders for ammo.

The 2008 shortage ended well for me. A local gun store had ordered pallets of primers. They all got shipped at the same time. They had stacks of primers all over the store. You could hardly walk around the place due to the number of primers. They HAD to move them to pay the invoice. They had them priced at $100 a case.

I bought as many cases as I could afford. I wish I had bought more.

Later on when Cabela's had the S&B primers for $15-$17.50/1000 I bought a BUNCH. I wish I had bought more.

I actually went into this shortage pretty well stocked. I wanted to be better stocked. I knew the election would screw up the supply. The China Virus screwed up the supply a few months in advance. I had wanted to have 50K each of large and small pistol primers on hand. I had to settle for around 37-38K of each.

I've cut back my shooting as I have no idea how long this shortage will last. But I do have primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    My question to you all would be; if primers did go back to $40 per thousand, how many would you see yourself keeping on hand?

I would not mind having 100k or so
    I think $40/1000 will be the new normal...if things go back to normal in the next year. The announced price increase put primers at that $40/1000 mark. I buy as many as SWMBO will let me buy. I have the go-ahead to spend $1k as soon as I find a good price. I will then try and buy at least a case a month after that. I'm already planning for the 2024 election.
    NRA Benefactor.

Those stacks of primers were surplus to CCI's needs for their own loaded ammunition at the time. I've been attending the SHOT Show since 1990, and have talked to all the manufacturers, and they all tell the same story. When they have excess primers, those primers are sold to distributors, who sell to wholesalers, who cater to the reloading market. If there are no extra primers after they supply their own needs for loaded ammunition, then the distributors and wholesalers don't get any, etc.

The largest profit for the manufacturers is in loaded ammunition. The margin on components is less than loaded ammunition, so it just makes good business sense to make the products that are going to benefit the bottom line the best, and currently, that's loaded ammunition, since they can't keep up with demand.

At the 2009 SHOT Show, Fiocchi announced at the show that their entire production for the year had been pre-sold, and they were taking orders for 2010. Most of the other companies were announcing similar "news", since the SHOT Show is always held in January, which meant most of them didn't have any additional product for sale until the following year. I would imagine it will be the same in the upcoming SHOT Show this coming January. This year's show was canceled.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master
    At $40/k, I would purchase 150-250k primers depending on how the market is trending.

I have enough primers to last a few years, so I can be patient.
    Don Verna

I suspose I should thank my lucky stars that I'm a single-shot rifleman, and not a "combat pistol" sport or an AR blaster who expends 1000s of primers a month. I've got a 5-6 of bricks of each type I use put by, and at my advanced age this will last me out, barring acts of God or the public enemy.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Where on earth is anyone finding ANY primers at ANY price???

Inquiring minds want to know!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Shot View Post
    Where on earth is anyone finding ANY primers at ANY price???

Inquiring minds want to know!
    Lots on Gunbroker...but you must really need them to pay what they are asking.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    There is a auction house close to me that usually has primers about once a month but they sell for stupid prices. Before the shortage I would buy any I could get at 2 cents each or less. I got stocked up fairly well.

I also saw some a couple weeks ago at $100 a thousand for Lg pistol.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My local shop has been getting a trickle of primers in. The owner keeps them in the stock room and only sells to established customers at semi-normal prices. He said he is sick and tired of flea market carnies who never shop there otherwise trying to buy his stock to flip at 3X the price.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I found some yesterday. $9.99+tax per hundred. I said no thanks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    I found some yesterday. $9.99+tax per hundred. I said no thanks.
    I told my LGS they could keep their 6.99/100 primers

Was iin a local " discout store" today, they had a few at $130 per 1000, I left them there
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Vista Outdoors has already posted their 2022 prices for their primers by grade increases ….2 to 8%
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I saw CCI SPP primers once a couple of months ago in the LGS. Bought the max of 200 for $4 per hundred. Went back the next day for more and they were gone. First time I'd seen them in a year, and haven't seen them since.

Was at Walmart yesterday and did my usual walk by the sporting goods counter and massive empty ammo case. The guy at the counter asked if there was anything I needed help finding and I said, yeah, primers, powder, bullets, or ammo. He laughed and said they don't carry reloading supplies anymore and that they do get ammo in every now and then.

I told him I haven't seen ammo in a year at Walmart.

He said that it comes in at 6am and is gone by 8am, but the days it shows up is random.

Not going to drive 30 miles out of my way to stop by Walmart every morning at 6 am.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

I found all of the CCI primers...

They are on Gunbroker being sold for outrageous prices by opportunists. Normally, I'm a big supporter of the free market system, but I get the feeling that the people selling them on Gunbroker have somehow figured out how to game the system and are taking advantage of gun owners. When they do pop up locally, they are about 10% more per 100 than they were before. So people selling them at these outrageous prices are just out to make as much money as possible.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Ammunition...%20500&Sort=13

Attachment 288425
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    I also saw some a couple weeks ago at $100 a thousand for Lg pistol.
    Same here, local gun store price is 10 cents each.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast