Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Primer cost

Boolit Buddy
    Stop by local shop to check up, had sm pistol and rifle 13.95 up from 12.95 last month.
    I don't need any thank goodness.

Boolit Buddy

starting to see boxes of small rifle primers around here still at 79.99 which is to rich for my blood but it is a good sign that they are on the shelf for more than a few minutes or not at all.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Buddy
    Stopped by at Cabela's last weekend and they've had LPP and LPM on the shelf (2 boxes each). Same price $79 I've left them there - not that desperate yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PrestoColumbus View Post
    Question for you all, from an unexperienced novice (this is my first shortage to live thru)

How are you keeping yourselves safe from online scams?

somethings I've been thinking about
    - stick with name-brand stores (Midway, Brownells, etc)
    - find other lesser known stores thru sites like ammoseek Is this a reliable?
    - what red-flags indicate danger?
    ---- webstores requiring minimum purchase ($200 or more)
    ---- unbelievable deals ($35/1000 with many different brands in stock... hard to believe)
    ---- no listing on ammoseek
    ---- ridiculous shipping cost ($50-$100) (I get hazmat fees but I've seen some crazy shipping costs out there)

anyway, just looking for more advice.

tank smudge
    Paying with a credit card can provide some safety.

If the deal looks too good to be true it probably is.

Stay up to date on prices. Right now, if I needed primers and found them at a store for $80/k that would be fair, but I would not be stocking up at that price as it is likely to drop. Last year, $100/k was fair. If the "fair" price is $80/k and you find some at $60 buy a six month supply if they will sell you that many.

As to vendors, I buy from established distributors as others have already listed.

Estate auctions have never been too successful for me. By the time you factor in the time/cost to travel there and time waiting for stuff you want to buy it is not much of a saving. But my area may be to blame.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Ammunition plant to open near Texarkana
    The facility will specialize in the production of primers, a key component in ammunition manufacturing, for the small arms industry.

"We have invested $100 million into the site so far," said Richard A. Smissen, owner, Expansion Industries. "This is all about supply and demand. There is serious demand in the industry for this product and right now, for various reasons, the supply chain is falling woefully short. So we are getting ready to do our part to help out with that issue."

https://www.texarkanagazette.com/new...ear-texarkana/
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

A hundred million seems like a lot, just to produce primers.

Oh, I see. They bought out a whole ammunition line from the Lone Star Army Ammunition plant.

OK, start the primers line first. Demand is definitely there.

Free markets solve problems!
    Last edited by uscra112; 01-21-2022 at 01:41 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    My buddy in another state found that all his gun shops are fully stocked with primers for $60/k cci. I am sending him to the store today with a box to fill.

Yesterday he asked the one shop what the purchase limit was and the owner laughed at him. Said, son if you got cash, you can take it all.

Let's see how this goes. I will have to pay shipping and tax. At the moment I cannot even find a primer for sale rather yet for less then $120/k
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    My buddy in another state found that all his gun shops are fully stocked with primers for $60/k cci. I am sending him to the store today with a box to fill.

Yesterday he asked the one shop what the purchase limit was and the owner laughed at him. Said, son if you got cash, you can take it all.

Let's see how this goes. I will have to pay shipping and tax. At the moment I cannot even find a primer for sale rather yet for less then $120/k
    He cannot legally ship primers unless he is Hazmat certified.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Or mail him your brass and have him mail the brass back to you primed. It's a lot of work, but since you guys are already considering going around your butts to get to your elbow, it's a legal option.

Or a road trip

Boolit Master
    Interesting, UPS store by him told him otherwise. He is coming to visit in February so he can just drop it off then if all else fails.
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 01-21-2022 at 12:45 PM.

Last I knew, UPS would ship hazmat for you, for a fee. Powder and loaded ammo at least. But you had to go to the main UPS shipping center in an industrial park outside of town. "UPS Store" wouldn't accept hazmat. Then the whole COVID panic hit, and the shipping center was put off-limits to the general public. Been a couple of years now, I haven't even tried to ship anything.

USPS won't touch it, of course. Nor will FedEx.

Make some phone calls.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    My question to you all would be; if primers did go back to $40 per thousand, how many would you see yourself keeping on hand?

I would not mind having 100k or so
    I already have several times what you would keep , I'm still shooting $2.00 a thousand Remington primers I bought in the 70's . I would still buy the same two boxes a week that I have bought in the past as long as the $40 price lasted or supply dried up . I bought the bunch of Remington primers from a hardware store that stocked loading supplies in the 50's but never really sold any . I bought three large shelves full of cartons of primers for $2 per box of 1000. That started my primer hoarding . I have run into several deals like that over the years on CCI and Winchester primers also . I religiously bought 2 1000 boxes per week since the early 80's until the supply died and prices went stupid . I also bought multiple cases of SP ,LP,LR ,210, and 2 cases of musket caps and 2 of #11's right before Osama got elected. Primers are the one thing you can never have too many of . My sons and any grand children I have will have a lifetime supply of primers when I am gone . If things ever go back to normal and prices get reasonable buy 1000 a week and you will never worry about primers again .

PS: That $40 would by far the most I have ever paid for 1000 primers . I think the last ones I bought were just shy of $30 and had gone up from around $18due to the last shortage.
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 01-22-2022 at 02:05 PM.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    Before covid I tried to keep a good stash. I have only been able to find 1400 primers in the last three years in my area. I check often.

Yes if they returned to 40per 1k I would stock 100k worth. Others in my area have just quit shooting for fun. Then again with a pound of powder coming in at around 50-60 dollars I can understand.

Boolit Buddy
    Prices are crazy��. I sold some at $80 / K last year to fund something else. But have a lot in store yet. Helped some young guys get stocked up ahead of this thing and they are happy

Boolit Master

Nearby online auction has a lot of assorted primers now over $75. Too rich for me. Another lot of smokeless and BP similarly priced.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    So if primers were $40/1000, you would buy $4,000 worth today....really? And you currently have how many today? I will guess if you didn't stock-up before, you won't when they come back, full shelves, so why....why didn't you stock-up after the last time they went extinct?? For several years before this shortage, $29.99 to $32.99 almost anywhere they were sold. Anyone who reloaded, liked shooting and was conscious, is well supplied now on consumables.

At least enough powder and primers for a decade of shooting, I would say is getting well supplied. I should have double that, at least, I am thinking.
    Last edited by remy3424; 01-25-2022 at 09:03 PM.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    Yes and who says people who would buy more didn't stock up then. Define well supplied.

$40/1000 may actually be a market floor, if the economic signs and portents don't improve drastically.

We do have this report that there's going to be a new domestic mfgr, but not for another year or more.

Very happy that I'm a single-shot collector/shooter. 100 primers can last me a solid month, instead of half an hour.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by PrestoColumbus View Post
    Question for you all, from an unexperienced novice (this is my first shortage to live thru)

How are you keeping yourselves safe from online scams?

somethings I've been thinking about
    - stick with name-brand stores (Midway, Brownells, etc)
    - find other lesser known stores thru sites like ammoseek Is this a reliable?
    - what red-flags indicate danger?
    ---- webstores requiring minimum purchase ($200 or more)
    ---- unbelievable deals ($35/1000 with many different brands in stock... hard to believe)
    ---- no listing on ammoseek
    ---- ridiculous shipping cost ($50-$100) (I get hazmat fees but I've seen some crazy shipping costs out there)

anyway, just looking for more advice.

tank smudge
    Presto also look out for e-commerce payment only (e.g., no credit cards). If I remember this right, Zelle has no cancellations or refunds.

Boolit Buddy

You are absolutely correct.

If you've ever bought powder or primers from an online retailer, look at labeling all over the box, that is why shipper certification is required for Hazmat.

There is a difference between flammable (loaded ammo and primed brass) and hazmat.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast