Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Primer cost

Quote Originally Posted by Wooserco View Post
    My LGS just got a shipment of primers in. All priced at their cost. $16.99 / 100 or 169.99 / thousand. Two weeks in, he's sold 300 (3 sleeves of 100).
    If your LGS iis claiming paying $16.99US/100 then I got throw out an orange flag. He may be claiming it but I would be asking to see his invoices before I believed it. Our retailers are selling US imported primers at $7.99 Cdn/100 which is almost double what they were 18 months ago. That is about $6.40US. If they can sell them for that after paying import and shipping fees I gotta believe the wholesale price is at least 20% less. Give the store some free advertising and post the name of your LGS.

I believe what you are saying; just not buying what he is saying.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

No Primers, Components or Ammo of any kind here Within 100 miles of Long Beach WA. My stash is running low. Powder I Have Primed cases in 30-06, 45acp Also have Projectiles for both.

Boolit Master

I stopped in Sportsmans Warehouse this afternoon. They had CCI No. 41 primers for 53.90 per 1 K. They had a few K available, so I will probably pick up another K tomorrow. Mid 2019, they were selling for 32.49 per 1 K, but to me, the 53.90 price is acceptable.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    I stopped in Sportsmans Warehouse this afternoon. They had CCI No. 41 primers for 53.90 per 1 K. They had a few K available, so I will probably pick up another K tomorrow. Mid 2019, they were selling for 32.49 per 1 K, but to me, the 53.90 price is acceptable.
    That's a good price. I bought some locally (mid VA) a month ago for $90 a box. Last week I got SPP for $60 a box. Expensive but had no choice.

Boolit Master

Availability seems to be getting better. I do not believe prices will ever get back to what they were a year and a half ago. I did expect inflation was going to be a definite, seeing as how it has affected every other camodity we need and use. Powder is trickling in, at SWH, and my local gun club. Prices at the club are running around 28.00 to 32.00 per pound. That's not that bad, unless I reminiss about getting surplus powder in the late 60,s @ .79 per pound in a brown paper bag. Oh yeah, primers were less than 4.00 per K.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    My brother told me yesterday he'd called the big Wolf Creek Trap and Skeet Club on Atlanta's west side and said the only components they had were once fired hulls. That place used to get components by the semi truck load. GF

Boolit Master

I stop by my LGS every week and still no primers. Over a year now.

Online search for primers shows about $150 per 1k for CCI SPP.

Not a buyer at that price. Not even a buyer at half that.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

October 15th a user on the PA Firearms Owners board posted that Cabela’s in Delaware had SPP and SRP at $65 a thousand “as of 1:00.”

I saw it at 4:30, grabbed the wife and we high tailed it on down to find 4K SRP and 8k SPP still available. Only 1k per allowed, but I was happy to put 2k SRP on my shelf. Friends told me that by 7:00 they were all gone.

Those were the first small primers I’ve seen in a year and a half. I have plenty of small pistol, but small rifle remain short stock even with the addition.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    The only thing that will cause exorbitant pricing of reloading components to dial back is for people to stop paying the ridiculous prices being asked for same.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    The only thing that will cause exorbitant pricing of reloading components to dial back is for people to stop paying the ridiculous prices being asked for same.
    The same thing could be said for every product sold in the USA.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

The big problem is we only have a limited number of companies making components, particularly primers and powder. That really limits competition. So, if a person is out of components, what is one to do?

Food for thought!

FWIW
    Dale53

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    The big problem is we only have a limited number of companies making components, particularly primers and powder. That really limits competition. So, if a person is out of components, what is one to do?

Food for thought!

FWIW
    Dale53
    Dale that is true to a point. We do get S&B out of France, brand name out of Bosnia and Tula out of Russia/Ukranie and I believe some come out of China. I have no experience with the latter. None of these offshore producers have product in large amounts in Canada. Talking to importers they claim it is just the supply chain. Primers are shipped by Seacan containers and there might lie the problem with the imported primers. Of the ones quoted they all work. Now given a chance to buy Tula SPP at $4.00 per 100 or CCI/Win at $9.00 for example which do you buy?

I don't know what the floor price is going to be if and when supply chains get back to normal but in my example I would be buying the offshore primers. I guess I have no personal nationalistic drivers that might have me buy a local made brand over the offshore. I suspect, though that most given a wide difference in valuations would go for the less expensive IF they met our needs.

The less expensive offshore pricing might be enough to curtail manufactures from taking advantage of the consumer due to limited competition.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

With all this going on I just don't shoot like I used to. And I'm sure I'm not alone. After the last "famine" especially of .22 LR I said never again.
    So today I set with over 15k .22lr rounds, more than I have ever had in my life and its lucky if I shoot 50 rds a month. Why? I wonder if there will ever be another day when I can stroll into my LGS and buy a few bricks without causing everybody in the place to stare at me. During the "lock-down" I thought I'd catch up on my reloading since empty brass was piled up for years. Had to buy up a bunch of plastic ammo boxes cause I wound up with 3,500 rds of .38's 500 rds of .357 2,500 rds of 9MM 2,550 rds .45LC same with .45ACP not to mention hundreds of rounds for my rifles. USUALLY I kept only a couple hundred of anything made up at one time and shot them off fairly promptly.
    NOW I have an inventory sheet on everything Primers, Powder, Boolits, something I had never in 50 years done.
    I'm afraid the word is out on us firearm hobbyist's, everybody wants in the act. Some say Oh, this is great. The more the merrier! 2nd Amen is really going to be protected!! Yeah right. There is a perfect storm going on that's not good for our cause. Consolidation in the production of components has led to much of the upheaval and its going to get way worse and probably no better. Why? Vista and their ilk will look to maximize profit at every turn. Yeah, everybody says they are running full out but its at today's profit margin they are full out. Wait til there is a little dip in demand and they will hit the brakes like a brick wall. Remington and Winchester kept making ammo during slow periods cause they had rifles and shooting matches to sponsor. Whats Vista and others sponsoring except the bottom line. I'm an old Steel Mill worker I have seen consolidation in that industry. I have seen Mills retooled and laid off workers brought back and retrained on newer high tech operations, not to mention a few hundred MILLION dollars invested. Then, the minute the market conditions slow a bit. Raw materials, inputs go up. BOOM they are out of there. Mill sold to the next investment group. Things are just never going back. This is our new reality.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    I gotta wonder what the heck Alliant is up to? Would not like to have to do without Unique for too much longer.

Boolit Buddy
    Cosmic Charlie,
    Watch Powder Valley daily, they get powder in all the time.I’ve picked up some Alliant products in the last few months!

BigBoreShooter

If you are not willing to pay at least $65-75/1000 you probably will never buy primers again.

Things will return, there’s too much money at stake for companies that are making products that Americans are willing to buy at even at 3x what they were at pre pandemic prices to go belly up. Just a matter of when and at what price point they’ll settle out to. Patience grasshopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    If you are not willing to pay at least $65-75/1000 you probably will never buy primers again.
    The more I read, the more I think this is likely to be true.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Bought 1k small pistol magnum primers for $80.00 (no tax). Not what I would like to pay, but beginning to think this is the new reality.

I'm sure glad I'm a single-shot restorer and not a combat pistol competitor or an AR-15 blaster.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast