Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conversation with Veral Smith

Boolit Master

I’ve been playing with a new to me 44 super Blackhawk and just for fun loaded some 300 gr Lee boolits. They were very moderate loads and I was amazed at how accurate they were so heavy is the way to go! Tim

Boolit Buddy
    Had Veral make me a 350gr 4 cavity 44 wfn mold for my Dan Wesson and Redhawk and a 405 gr 4 cavity for my 444 marlin contender. Quality beyond reproach.

Moderator Emeritus

The OP joins the forum in Sept 2021, makes this one post, then never returns to login here again. That seems weird?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    That is weird!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Welcome aboard. My chronograph can testify that gas checks can indeed come off!
    Yup

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Welcome aboard. My chronograph can testify that gas checks can indeed come off!
    Me too.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    In the 35+ years that I have dealt with Veral, I have had a number of pleasurable conversations with him. He was instrumental in guiding my bullet casting endeavors and was the prime source of information before I found this fine site. I would recommend that anyone who is serious about casting buy his book "Jacketed performance with cast bullets" as it covers a vast amount of information and proven theories of how bullets/lube perform. That being said, I will also say that he is very adamant about his views on bullet design and casting. I have shot tens of thousands of bullets cast from his molds and cannot fault his beliefs.
    Although the OP seems to have gone MIA, Marshall Stanton's "Beartooth Bullets, Technical Guide, A Comprehensive Guide for Attaining Unsurpassed Performance Using Cast Bullets" is chocked full of valuable information.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    Although the OP seems to have gone MIA, Marshall Stanton's "Beartooth Bullets, Technical Guide, A Comprehensive Guide for Attaining Unsurpassed Performance Using Cast Bullets" is chocked full of valuable information.

I agree! I have both Veral's and Marshall's. Both are very good.

I talked to Veral about 10-12 years ago. I had a question about WFN's which he answered quickly, then we talked for another hour and a half about Commies. He does go on about some things!

We had a lot in common.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I've noticed that several make a few posts and are not heard from again. I joined early on after the move from AIMOO(?) and stayed. I'm sure that several have noticed that I have a lot of posts and they probably wonder if I've learned anything. I think I have but it never hurts to reinforce.

The OP's description of Veral reminded me of a couple of conversations I had with Bill Ferguson before he was felled by alzheimer's. I think he must have been in the early stages but still had much knowledge to impart and did so at length.

I've got a few of Veral's molds. I also got his fire lapping kit. One thing I remember about the emails we exchanged was his dislike of Marshall Stanton at Cast Performance.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I've noticed that several make a few posts and are not heard from again. I joined early on after the move from AIMOO(?) and stayed. I'm sure that several have noticed that I have a lot of posts and they probably wonder if I've learned anything. I think I have but it never hurts to reinforce.

The OP's description of Veral reminded me of a couple of conversations I had with Bill Ferguson before he was felled by alzheimer's. I think he must have been in the early stages but still had much knowledge to impart and did so at length.

I've got a few of Veral's molds. I also got his fire lapping kit. One thing I remember about the emails we exchanged was his dislike of Marshall Stanton at Cast Performance.
    John
    W.TN

I would call Veral but I hate to distract him if he is busy so I'll ask this question here. With regards to WFN and LFN boolits, I have read that one is more accurate at longer ranges than the other. Assuming that a revolver is already a known accurate one and the twist rate is tight enough, which one is the better long range boolit and I don't mean long range by Elmer Keith's measurements. I don't think anything ever was out of range to him. Let's say 200 yds for a 260 gr 44 cal at 1200 fps.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post

I did not realize Marshall Stanton was associated with Cast Performance, my dealings had been through Beartooth Bullets. It does seem strange for the mold maker to adamantly dislike the boolet maker who is using your molds.
    Last edited by oley55; 01-17-2022 at 07:54 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    I did not realize Marshall Stanton was associated with Cast Performance, my dealings had been through Beartooth Bullets. It does seem strange for the mold maker to adamantly dislike the boolet maker who is using your molds.
    You Know! After reading your post I realized that I had jumped too soon. My memory is not what it used to be and it wasn't real sharp then. It was Beartooth bullets that Veral mentioned.

I have been loading some Cast Performance recently. They were included with the .475 L I bought about 15 years ago. The lube was all dried out and I just set them aside. They were all over 400 gr. and I could cast 380 gr and maybe hold the recoil down a bit. Still, I don't shoot it a great deal.
    John
    W.TN

Kelly Brost owned Cast Performance back when.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12