MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Coating a bolt action receiver

Boolit Buddy

Coating a bolt action receiver

I am considering spray-coating a bolt action barrel/receiver and am wondering just how the receiver is commonly done. Mask off interior surfaces or???

I use rolled up paper towels packed into the bolt raceway and masking tape as needed. If using a bake on paint remove it before baking of course.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I use rolled up paper towels packed into the bolt raceway and masking tape as needed. If using a bake on paint remove it before baking of course.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your response.

Boolit Buddy
    I forget what temperature bake-on finishes like Gun-Kote call for, but I would make sure it wouldn't do anything bad to any heat treatment that the receiver might have had first...you're probably OK, but personally I would ascertain this before firing up the oven and possibly normalizing something that should remain hardened...

Boolit Buddy
    What tempera u use is required to anneal steel? Will an oven get that hot?

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think you need to anneal/normalize it (which usually requires you to go to "critical" / non-magnetic temperature...which is close to orange) to damage it...if the receiver was hardened through heat treating, to mess up the heat treating, all you need to do is exceed the "tempering" temperature, which is likely quite a bit lower and can go as low as 350°F (not necessarily for guns, but for some things).

Easiest thing probably would be to contact the mfgr of the coating and ask about the gun you're planning to coat and the temperature required. Or call Brownells.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Shot View Post
    I don't think you need to anneal/normalize it (which usually requires you to go to "critical" / non-magnetic temperature...which is close to orange) to damage it...if the receiver was hardened through heat treating, to mess up the heat treating, all you need to do is exceed the "tempering" temperature, which is likely quite a bit lower and can go as low as 350°F (not necessarily for guns, but for some things).

Easiest thing probably would be to contact the mfgr of the coating and ask about the gun you're planning to coat and the temperature required. Or call Brownells.
    Not an issue with coatings for firearms, KG Gun Kote bake cure 325 for 1 hr, Cerakote 250 for 2 hrs and I haven't used Duracoat for several years so don't recall cure (wasn't durable enough). Does anyone really suppose a coating mfg would ask for the liability issues of their product ruining the heat treatment of a gun? Can you say mega-trillion $$$ lawsuit? Gun Kote was developed and first marketed for Navy Seal equip to make theater specific camo patterns and exhibited quick application by armorers and featured very long abrasion and salt spray resistance.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."