RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 50/45 brass

Boolit Master

I have about 30 antique firearms related video on my youtube channel.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...tvKtcAr3VWEUrT

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    Speaking of .58s. Here is a video of me shooting a Remington rolling block in .58 Roberts. https://youtu.be/t151cMpjyxM
    what was the basic cartridge that you used to make the round?. toot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    what was the basic cartridge that you used to make the round?. toot.
    They are machined from solid brass. Rocky Moutain Cartridge made them, then I modified them to suit the rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    Toot, I understand. I'm right behind you. I'll be 26 in a couple of weeks. The 26 isn't the problem, it's the 50 years experience at being 25 that hurts.

I'm officially jealous. A real Navy contract RB, WOW.
    yes so much knoweledge and so little time! that sucks!

Boolit Master
    They are machined from solid brass. Rocky Moutain Cartridge made them, then I modified them to suit the rifle.
    thanking you for the come back. I was courious, because it is such a gigantic case? if you please, what modification did you have to do after receiving them? and do you use a 58 CAL. MINNIE in them?

Boolit Master

I had to thin the case mouth to allow them to hold a .595" diameter minie. I had a Lyman minie mold opened up to .595" to match the groove size.

Boolit Master
    I had to thin the case mouth to allow them to hold a .595" diameter minie. I had a Lyman minie mold opened up to .595" to match the groove size.
    I'd be tempted to try a .600 round ball in it if it would chamber. Lee does or did make such a mould. It seems it is popular with the 577 Snider guys. You could also patch up a light 577 bullet. They generally measure .585 or there about.

I'm still jealous.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

I've tried a lot of things over the years. But the .594/.595" minie works the best. Some of it was posted years ago on CASCITY here: https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/in...?topic=50010.0

Boolit Master
    ndnchf, thanks for posting the process. most people don't think it can't be done. where there is a will there is a way! toot.

Boolit Master
    OK! thank you. toot.

Boolit Master
    I'd be tempted to try a .600 round ball in it if it would chamber. Lee does or did make such a mould. It seems it is popular with the 577 Snider guys. You could also patch up a light 577 bullet. They generally measure .585 or there about.

I'm still jealous.
    I shoot a .600 DIA, RB'S. in my .577 SNIDER IN PLASTIC 24 GAUGE HULLS FROM BALISTIC PRODUCTS. cheep & when they burn through just chuck them away.

Boolit Master
    Toot;

My cases are trimmed to 1.350 more or less. They came with the carbine. I use my 56-50 Spencer dies to load them.
    I had a brain fart. I remembered you saying that you used 56/50 SPENCER dies to load them. well I tried many of my loaded SPENCER rounds in my 50/45, and they chambered just fine. so question is can they be fired in the 55/45 RB?

Boolit Master
    sorry I meant 50/45.RB. TOOT.

Boolit Master
    just another senior moment, CRS! toot.

Boolit Master
    Toot;

I would think that if your Spencer load is safe in it, and they chamber freely, they would be safe to shoot in the RB. The common Springfield Armory load for the 56-50 Spencer was 45 grains of powder and a 350 grain bullet. The caliber designation 50-45-400 tells us all about the load for your Navy rifle and it is heavier than the Spencer load.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    thanks. I will try shooting it with a SPENCER CASE, with a spencer bullet. I beleave that they are the same DIA, 515? and 25 grs. of 3FG. it will be a light load so I will use a cotton ball to take up the air space in the case. I don't want to harm the ROLLER!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    thanks. I will try shooting it with a SPENCER CASE, with a spencer bullet. I beleave that they are the same DIA, 515? and 25 grs. of 3FG. it will be a light load so I will use a cotton ball to take up the air space in the case. I don't want to harm the ROLLER!
    A full load won't harm the roller. But if you want to use a reduced load, using cream of wheat or grits as a filler would be safer. A cotton ball can still leave unwanted air space.

Boolit Master
    thank you for the information you have provided me on air space using cotton balls. I will use a full load in the cases, do you mean just leave enough room to have the bullet or RB, to go into the case and chamber? and what grade of black, 2FG. or 3FG? have you tried to load 56 / 50 SPENCER cases in the 50 / 45 and shot them? just courious? will any .515 DIA, weight bullet or RB. work in the gun? sorry for all the questions, but you are very knowledgeable on this subject. I make my 56 / 50 SPENCERS from my 50 / 70's when the case mouths split, just cut them back. they work fine.

Boolit Master

You do not want any airspace with black powder. So fill it to the base of the bullet with 3F or a little more. Seating the bullet will compress it which help it to burn more consistently. I've not shot 56-50s in my .50-45 because my .56-50s are rimfire. But there is no good reason that you can't fire the centerfire version. The bullet just has a little further to jump to the rifling. A 350gr bullet is the original .56-50 bullet weight. 400gr is the original .50-45 weight. But I use 350 in both.

Boolit Master
    thank you so much sir. this information you are providing me will go into my personal loading record book on what I call odd ball, black powder cartridge loads. it is nice to talk to guys that have been there and done it, and freely share information with others when questions are asked. toot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast