RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50/45 brass

Boolit Master

50/45 brass

has any one made them. I have a NAVAL REMINGINTON ROLLING BLOCK WEAPON. and I want to make them to fire it. I have tried making them from 348 WIN, and 8M/M LEBEL. and bullet DIA. and loads. would like to hear from others. thanks. toot.

Boolit Master
    My cases are made from old DGW 50-70 cases. They're loaded with a regular LR primer, 37.8 grs of 3 FG Goex, a 370 grain soft lead bullet, .515 diameter, from a Lee 515-370 mould with SPG lube.

Is your carbine a true US Navy one? Mine has a Navy barrel fitted to an unknown RB carbine. As I understand most of the originals were re-barreled and sold to France in about 1871 for use in the Franco - Prussian war. Dixie Gun Works was reported to have acquired and sold a lot of the original barrels many years ago.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

We've discussed this before. As stated above, make them from .50-70 brass. Its easy to do and works fine.

Boolit Master
    elk hunter. thank you so much for the reply to my question. yes it is a true navy one. two question's, what length do you cut them back to? or do you use them as 50/70 length? do you thumb press the bullets into the cases? thanking you. toot.

Boolit Master
    ndnchf, thank you. toot.

Boolit Master
    Toot;

My cases are trimmed to 1.350 more or less. They came with the carbine. I use my 56-50 Spencer dies to load them.

Boolit Master
    elk hunter. that is great just what I was looking for. here is the info. that my gun has. rite side of receiver, P, over F.C.W. left side an ANCHOR. tang is marked- PAT MAY 3RD NOV 16TH APR17TH 1866. LEGENTH- 32 I/2 inches.it is a NAVAL CADET RIFLE. only 500 were made under contract to SPRINGFIELD ARMORY. it has the original bayonet also. so it is a keeper. the info. you provided me with is in my reloading personal book, that I keep for all odd ball calibers. it is my go to book. at 77+++, I tend to for get.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    . it is my go to book. at 77+++, I tend to for get.
    Toot, I understand. I'm right behind you. I'll be 26 in a couple of weeks. The 26 isn't the problem, it's the 50 years experience at being 25 that hurts.

I'm officially jealous. A real Navy contract RB, WOW.

Boolit Master
    elk hunter, I can't remember back that far when I was 25, going on 26? LOL!! glad you approve, like my original NAVY CADET, 50/45. RB. it almost broke the bank, but I got it 11 yrs ago. you my friend are a wealth of information on there old odd ball calibers'. glad you chose this course, and that you jumped in to help me, with my question. are they any other odd ball calibers that you fool with, like, 11,m/m WERNDL, 455/500 MH, 577 SNIDER ENFIELD, ETC,? these are some that I play with. just curious? all the best, toot.

Boolit Master
    Toot;

I too tend to focus on the older less common calibers. Muzzle loaders and early breech loaders are what I like. I do occasionally fall for a pre-64 model 70 or a neat, less common caliber lever gun. I just can't get enamored with black plastic or huge scopes, etc.

Do these qualify as odd ball? 41 Swiss, 11MM Mauser, 44 Game Getter, 577-450 MH, 56-50 Spencer, 56 Burnside, 12.7 x 44, 577 Snider, 16 gauge pinfire shotgun, 1860 Dreyse 15.4 MM needle fire.

Boolit Master
    yes, I load & shoot all of then, and many more. except the 15.4 M/M needle fire. we both have the same interest's in odd ball calibers. I have made 9mm, PIN FIRE by taking a modern 9mm case and drilled a hole into the side of the case next to the primer and glued in a percussion cap, then cut a small finish nail and inserted it into the hole, in to the cup of the percussion cap, and it fired just fine. ever hear of such a loading practice? I guess that if you want to shoot a gun bad enough, we odd ball loaders will try and find a way? I hate to have a gun that is just a hanger. I also have a bevy of molds for many caliber's. I have been collecting odd ball guns for over 60, yrs. BTW, I cut down a 50/70 case to try and make a 50/45, and it worked as you stated, again thank you my friend!

Boolit Master
    I too agree with you, I don't enjoy plastic / black guns & 40 power scopes. give the animal a chance. you left out 43 SPANISH & REFORMADO. but I expect you have loaded then also?. I have both rifles & carbine's for both of the calibers'. REMINGTON ROLLERS.

Boolit Master

I too enjoy the challenge of the odd and unusual. My navy carbine is a put-together, but it shoots well. I'm now playing with its predecessor - a Remington split breech carbine in .56-50 rimfire. I've converted centerfire cases to rimfire, using a .22 blank as the primer. But lately I've been repriming and reloading original copper rimfire cases. Great fun

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    I too agree with you, I don't enjoy plastic / black guns & 40 power scopes. give the animal a chance. you left out 43 SPANISH & REFORMADO. but I expect you have loaded then also?. I have both rifles & carbine's for both of the calibers'. REMINGTON ROLLERS.
    I've missed out on the two Spanish rounds, I've just not had either one come my way. The most difficult and most interesting round to load has been the 15.4 Dreyse. The original round used a sabot to hold and guide an undersized bullet. I was never able to come up with a good sabot. I tried paper patching 540 grain .585 diameter bullets for the 577 and they shot OK but when I tried a .642 diameter 16 gauge round ball I found the right projectile. If you do your part it will shoot half dollar sized 5 shot groups at 25 yards. The black rifle guys aren't impressed with what I shoot but, HEY, that just leaves more of the fun ones for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    I too enjoy the challenge of the odd and unusual. My navy carbine is a put-together, but it shoots well. I'm now playing with its predecessor - a Remington split breech carbine in .56-50 rimfire. I've converted centerfire cases to rimfire, using a .22 blank as the primer. But lately I've been repriming and reloading original copper rimfire cases. Great fun
    Sounds like fun to me too. Post some pictures of the split-breech.

I have been wanting a model 1865 Trapdoor in 58 rimfire. I saw one years ago in an old store building in Eastern Oregon. The owner wasn't interested in selling as his grandfather had gotten it from a pioneer in that area. I have a friend that collects the sort of stuff I like and has some that I lust for, like his beautiful 1853 Sharps sporter. He keeps sending me information on wonderful items but I just continue the hunt myself as that is a big part of the fun.

Boolit Master

Here is a video of me shooting the 1866 split breech with an original copper case .56-52 that I reloaded. This cartridge is interchangable with tthe .56-50. https://youtu.be/DSLzYfoNN4Q

Boolit Master

Speaking of .58s. Here is a video of me shooting a Remington rolling block in .58 Roberts. https://youtu.be/t151cMpjyxM

Boolit Master
    ndnchf;

Thanks for the videos. Very interesting to say the least.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ndnchf View Post
    just how do you reload original copper rim fire cases? I wasn't aware it was possible? I have cases for my RIMFIRE, JOSLYN. I got them from BOB HAYLEY, in TEXAS. they are 50 Cal cases with the primer pocket filled in and a 22 ACORN BLANK, inserted into it.

Boolit Master

This video explains how I do it and shows my first test. This was an original 38 rimfire case, but the process is the same for any size.

https://youtu.be/lfL_5qMey2o

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast