WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Anyone mixing HBN in their lube?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone mixing HBN in their lube?

A few years back, I read on AccurateShooter about using hBN (hexagonal boron nitride, also known as "white graphite," also used as a mold release agent and in cosmetics) in a tumbler to coat j-word boolits with this lubricant. I tried it, and it'll stick to boolits. Supposedly it's a really good lubricant, and will extend the life of barrels that get shot-out fast, like my 6.5/284. And supposedly, unlike molybdenum disulfide, it's inert and won't (like moly) cause galvanic corrosion in your barrel if you don't clean it all out.

I ended up with more of it than I needed, so I mixed some into my Ed's Red bore cleaner. You have to shake the can to get it into suspension before putting it on your patch, but they say it'll lube your bore. Some guys even claimed that by putting it in their bore before shooting, that it would get into all the fire cracking and "cook on" like a ceramic coating.

Anyway, has anyone tried mixing this stuff with boolit lube? If so, any good or bad reports on it? Thanks --

Boolit Grand Master
    Interesting idea there about mixing HBN with boolit lube.

Boolit Grand Master

While it may enhance boolit lube, I do not believe it will "cook" on like a ceramic.

HBN is used in a lead smelter where, I worked, for casting lead anodes for electrowinning zinc. The moulds are machined steel and air cooled so they get pretty hot after the lead is poured in. These anodes run around 500 lbs. Yup, lead isn't as hot at the flame in a bore but the barrel and boolits do not get as hot as the flame or even as hot as molten lead either. That HBN is applied regularly and does not bake on much less become like ceramic.

The melting temperature of HBN is 2973°C (5383°F) so pretty hot! The sintering temperature is 1250°C (2282°F) so still pretty warm. I doubt you will get "ceramic" action in a barrel. It should be good lubricant though so no harm in giving it a try.

Longbow

HBN is a solid lube like moly will NOT melt to a ceramic but will/can burnish into pits in bore perhaps.

Banned
    Hey as long as it doesn't hurt anything might be worth a try.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    While it may enhance boolit lube, I do not believe it will "cook" on like a ceramic.
    Yeah, that was my gut feeling, too.

Thank you all for your replies.

Boolit Master

I beleive it might have been tried during the Lube Quest by Gear Nasher. It didnt make anything worse. It performed just similarly to other dry lubricants in suspension.

If i am not mistaken HBN is whats in oil treatments to extend the life of an engine. Pretty sure its in the STP I use but i am too lazy to go dig out the bottle.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I use it on all my long range loads, jacketed.

Never tried cast. Not sure I see the benefit.