Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: W872 Duplex loads for the 6x45 anyone tried this.

W872 Duplex loads for the 6x45 anyone tried this.

Has anyone tried using Duplex loads using W872 with cast from 60gr to 95 gr in the 6x45. In both Ar15 and Bolt Action rifle?

Boolit Master
    W872 is the powder for 20mm vulcan guns, and might be very slow for a small cased 6mm. Instead of attempting a duplex load try using magnum primers first. Other powders like BLC-2, H335, H322, IMR-4895, or IMR-4198 would be much better suited to this cartridge. (Almost any powder that works well in the 223 would be a good choice for the 6x45.)

Boolit Buddy
    From what I recall, 308 sized cases seem to be the lower limit for WC872. I had researched using this in 30-30 some time ago and all I remember is unsuccessful attempts.

Wish I could find the article again, but read where a guy was using 4 to 5 gr blue dot the rest with W860 or W872 under a 80 gr cast bullet . Said it worked great and cycled his AR ?

Boolit Master

Might be some of my posts you were thinking of. Here are some links. I believe that a slight amount of work starting with my posts on the .223/5.56 will get you where you want to be.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...92s&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...But&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-56&highlight=
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Might be some of my posts you were thinking of. Here are some links. I believe that a slight amount of work starting with my posts on the .223/5.56 will get you where you want to be.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...92s&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...But&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-56&highlight=
    It might have been. Thank You for the links.
    Question have you tried 4198 as a kicker in the 6x45?

Boolit Master

No. I used pistol powders because I have lots of different ones to choose from. I reserve 4198 as a primary powder (no duplex loads). Many who have used "Duplex" Loads with 860/870/872 had advocated use of "Medium Burn Rate Powders" for the"Duplex Powder". I have not done so.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

No. I used pistol powders because I have lots of different ones to choose from. I reserve 4198 as a primary powder (no duplex loads). Many who have used "Duplex" Loads with 860/870/872 had advocated use of "Medium Burn Rate Powders" for the"Duplex Powder". I have not done so.
    I have Bullseye, Unique

Boolit Master
    I have a bunch of 5010 that I duplex with good results but I don't use it anything smaller than 308.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    I have Bullseye, Unique

If I were working up the load; I would emulate the post I had on WC872 in the .223. I would take a "Full "Charge of WC-872 (measure at the Shoulder Taper - then weigh the WC-872 charge). I would then subtract 3 grains of WC-872; and replace it with 3 Grains of Unique over the flash hole and the WC872 on top. Fire 5 rounds for testing. Then incrementally change the ratio to 4 Unique + WC872, 5 Grains of Unique + WC872 (each time incrementing & decrementing the ratio of Unique and WC872.

Look for pressure signs such as flattening of primers with each incremental increase of Unique.
    Mustang

If I were working up the load; I would emulate the post I had on WC872 in the .223. I would take a "Full "Charge of WC-872 (measure at the Shoulder Taper - then weigh the WC-872 charge). I would then subtract 3 grains of WC-872; and replace it with 3 Grains of Unique over the flash hole and the WC872 on top. Fire 5 rounds for testing. Then incrementally change the ratio to 4 Unique + WC872, 5 Grains of Unique + WC872 (each time incrementing & decrementing the ratio of Unique and WC872.

Look for pressure signs such as flattening of primers with each incremental increase of Unique.
    Thanks I will do that. with this virus thing going on it looks as if it will be a while before I can do any shooting.
    Have you tried 60gr cast bullets with this type of loading?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Thanks I will do that. with this virus thing going on it looks as if it will be a while before I can do any shooting.
    Have you tried 60gr cast bullets with this type of loading?

Acquired a few .22 molds; but have not cast/shot with them. I have swaged .224 boolits and tumbled lubed them and powder coated also (55 grain to 80 grain) and shot them using only 2400. They performed well.
    Mustang

What about a 60gr cast in the 6x45 ?