MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopsmith mark v

Boolit Master

Shopsmith mark v

I have the opportunity to purchase a Shopsmith tool with several attachments. Does anyone have any experience with them? Should I get it or stay away from it?

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know much about them. But my dad had one when I was growing up and he did all kinds of things with it. I have heard good things about them. But not in that field to talk about them though. I would do a search online to find out more about them

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    some of the attachments you will not use. the best is to get the tooles you would use. buddy got one many yers back. it still sitting

Only if you will use the accessories, AND you get really good deal on it. It's up to you determine what is good deal, but I know I'd never pay thousands for one.
    Here is a link to the model history

https://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/toolhistory.htm

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

They are nice, well built machines, BUT, you have to break down the setup every time you want to do something else. Say you want to use the table saw, but then you need the drill press. You've got to break it down and then set it up for the next operation. You'd be better off getting separate machines to do specific jobs. Where they do come in handy is if you don't have the room for all those separate machines. But you're going to waste a lot of time changing setups.

Boolit Master

It could probably had for $600.00

Boolit Master

I had one for years, and it worked great. I mostly used it for the table saw when my Radial arm saw was not appropriate, and the sanding drums and disk. Sold it when I decided I just didn't have room for it considering how little I used it, as I just don't do much woodwork. 600.00 might be OK depending on what it came with. They are a quality machine.
    Last edited by Springfield; 09-02-2021 at 11:44 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    It could probably had for $600.00
    That’s a good price new they between 3500 and 5500.

Boolit Master

I wouldn't want one even if it was free. Too much to set up for each operation. Then you can't go back and forth for different operations.

Boolit Buddy
    I had one for 10 years or so. I used it alot when I first got it then as I accumulated more stand alone tools it was used less and less. They work great for what they are. The table for the saw is to small for large pieces. I bought a Grizzly 10 inch table saw and quit using it. The band saw became to small so I bought a grizzly 17 inch. The Shopsmith became my lathe and disk sander. I was gifted a lathe and bought a disk/belt sander. The quality of work didn't increase with the new tools but the ease of use got better. And everything was faster. They are quality machines and work great for smaller projects but I had to build supports and fences to large, 4x4, pieces of plywood. They last forever.
    But when you add up the cost of stand alone tools, the Shopsmith is a bargain.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master
    american made quality wood working tool for the hobbyist at least it used to be. an all in one power tool with all the accessories. table saw, drill press, horizontal borer, wood lathe, disk and belt sander, shaper/router table and more. there is a local guy on craigslist that restores these tools and they are not inexpensive throw away like much of the stuff imported from china. at $600 I would not hesitate if I was needing woodworking power tools
    a new mark V is $4000. I have a big woodworking shop that came with the property with everything but a wood lathe and looked into maybe getting one of these but I'm not much of a woodworker.

Boolit Buddy
    My brother had one, was dissatisfied and disappointed, and ended up buying a TS, jointer, etc. I think that's the way to go. A good TS (or for some people, a good BS) is the backbone of a shop IMHO. An all-in-one may do lots of things in a mediocre way, but none of them very well (and setup time is the killer as someone pointed out). Even at $600 I wouldn't make room in my shop for one.

I like my setup: TS w/ integral router table; jointer; planer/molding cutter; BS; sliding compound miter; and hand tools. YMMV...

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I had one for a few years, and didn't find the changeover to be a big deal. The problem for me was, they aren't supposed to be operated under fifty degrees. That cuts back time in Montana, in an unheated shop. It would take three hours to get the shop and equipment up to operating temperature. The speed control gear is made of soft pot metal, and are easily destroyed when it is cold.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    had one for several years. They have a lot of flex in the table mounts, which makes them useless as a drill press. Table too small for a saw, but the variable speed makes for a good wood lathe and disc sander. I got rid of mine for a cabinet saw and drill press. Would not buy another, would not recommend one to anyone.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Moderator Emeritus

I've see some shopsmiths listed for cheap, like $100 to $200, but they always seem like there is missing parts?
    A year ago, I was looking at them for a dedicated wood lathe, but again, it seemed like things were missing, or they just didn't have that option? I wound up buying a new small HF lathe, but if I would have found the right used Shopsmith that had everything for turning, I probably would have bought a old one...Problem was, I didn't really know what was needed, and most of the sellers I contacted were selling the machine for a family member and knew nothing about it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

If you have the room theres a lot to be said for being able to walk up to the machine needed and get started. Ive never had one in seen one but have seen them in adds. I can see it not having the attachment you need every time. But then also to consider is how long is the time to swap attachments?

Boolit Master

I am certainly not a professional woodworker. I just retired and this would be a hobby project type of tool. I don't have the room for all the stand alone tools nor can I justify spending that much for them on what would essentially be toys for me, That's why I am considering one.

Boolit Grand Master

Then it is probably the best way to go.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I started out with one MANY(!!!) years ago. Wife found it and ALL, I mean ALL, the available attachments/gigs/tools/etc for $75.00. Used it for years but was never very happy. Takes waaaaay too much time to "morph" from one tool to another. I like to (and now have) all separate stand-alone power tools for everything the Shopsmith morphs into, and much more!

It is wobble on it's saw table brackets. Not that accurate with cuts. Rather shallow table saw cutting range. Kinda clumsy to use. And takes forever to change out.

I would pass on it. Save up for individual QUALITY tools.

Boolit Master

It's a compromise type of machine, it does a lot of different things ok, not like a dedicated piece of equipment from an accuracy standpoint. Mine came from the local junkyard, hardly used with a good variety of attachments. Took it home, cut a couple of crooked/off angle miters, it was impossible for the thing to stay locked into position once set) decided I paid way to much for it (it was free) gave it to my brother that expressed an interest and it returned with him to Maryland. As an accomplished wood worker, he couldn't make it produce consistent results and he gave it away as well. If you are patient and a careful worker, you could probably make it go for you. Good luck.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast