Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Repackbox

Thread: quality of Lyman pistol dies ?,

Boolit Bub

quality of Lyman pistol dies ?,

what is the quality of lyman pistol dies? i preffer RCBS ,but cant seem to get what i want at this time ,have found lyman and hornady ,.i just dont like the 2 piece sliding die with a thin spring wire holding it toghter , i have one iam sure it is ok ,i just dont like it , not interested in lee

Boolit Master
    You will eventually have die sets in green boxes, orange boxes, blue boxes, red boxes, and I am sure a rainbow of others as well. Lyman die sets are just fine. As with any major manufacturer, they will correct any quality issues that do make it out the door. Over the years, I have had minor issues with ALL the manufacturers sets that were immediately fixed by the manufacturers.

Boolit Master
    I have been happy with Lyman dies in , 38/357 , & 44 sp / mag at one time the M-die was a game changer .

Boolit Master
    I’ve never had a problem with them. The only dies I don’t buy are Lee, and that’s just me. I don’t really know why I don’t buy them, it’s probably that they are known for making a lot of “economy” stuff. Not junk, just not high end.

Boolit Master
    I don't buy Lee or Lyman dies.

Boolit Master
    I like my Lyman dies just fine.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

I'm still using a Lyman TC sizing die in .38/.357 that I bought in 1968. It's probably sized close to 400,000 cases and still going strong. I just can't decide who to will it to, so they can get a life time of use out of it, too. I have many sets of Lyman dies mixed in with my sets from other manufacturers.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a set in 270 at a flea mkt years ago for 10$. I've loaded several hundred rounds that came out great and no problems. I also prefer RCBS but the used price was too good to pass up.

Boolit Master
    the older deluxe 4 piece Lyman pistol caliber die sets ive found to be outstanding and less than 1/2 the cost of comparable Redding die sets. I dont know about newer production stuff but the old ones have never let me down.
    the Hornady two piece sliding seater die with the wire that holds the slide works very well in getting excellent bullet alignment. ive never had a problem with the spring wire coming loose. but can easily be removed to clean and lubricate the die and the spring wire just snaps back into place.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lyman dies have worked fine for me. I do like the M-die for neck expansion.

Robert

Boolit Master
    If you plan to load bullets, any brand of dies will work fine. If you plan to load boolits Lyman's are better than most others.

Boolit Buddy

Lyman has been around forever. They work fine.
    Lately they been upgrading their die sets. Check out the MSR Precision Die System and STAINLESS STEEL PRO DIES.
    All these new dies are being made for their Mark 7 progressive reloading presses.

I've noticed many new reloaders using Lyman dies because none the usual brands were available. That's a big gain for them in this small industry.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Good dies.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I’ve used Lyman dies. They work fine.

Boolit Master
    they dont rust like rcbs
    i have been going to them all time now