MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FFL Gunsmiths: Legal or not?

Boolit Master
    It’s starting to sound like you bought a gun in a private transaction that only had a serial number. Wonder how that happened, bet it’s an interesting story.

Boolit Grand Master

I hope the OP contacts the ATF and let's us know what their answer is on this.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    The question as I read this is wether it is illegal to Remove the markings that a mfg'r applies to a firearm (other than the Ser#)
    Like the Make, Model, caliber, ect.

All I can add is that MOST States (not all) have specific law(s) that prohibit the removal of some or all of the manufacturers applied markings from a firearm.
    Some are very specific as to which markings are off limits. Others just say that none of the manufacturers applied markings can be legally removed.

Pick a State,,any State and Google a response.

'....Is it illegal to remove manufacturer applied markings on firearms in xxxxx...'

Here is Ohio for example: I picked it for no reason at all. I don't live there. Try any State, most have a law against removing mfg'rs markings.

(A) No person shall do either of the following: (1) Change, alter, remove, or obliterate the name of the manufacturer, model, manufacturer's serial number, or other mark of identification on a firearm.

Section 2923.201 | Possessing a defaced firearm. - Ohio Lawshttps://codes.ohio.gov › ohio-revised-code › section-2923

What an FFL 07 Manufacturer may be able to do legally in certain instances may be different.
    I know it used to be that as an FFL/Gunsmith you could 'move' a ser# on a firearm for cosmetic reasons (engraving, aftermarket attachments like swivels) but only first asking for permission from ATF. They used to be somewhat accommodating to the notion. Then later not so much and they'd refuse the request.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12